You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Telephonic interview what to do and what not to do

what are the things to remember during telephonic interview
    Steve Smith,
    Just go through my ISC article on the subject "How to face an interview over a phone" to know what to do and what not to do. It will help you to be successful in your interview and get appointed. All the best.

No life without Sun

Following things need to take care.
    1. Do not make much time difference in speaking otherwise they will think you are copying from some where.
    2. Do not go off from topic be on topic during answering.
    3. Do not keep other person with you during interview.
    4. Do not do any other work during interview.
    5. concentration is must part of interview.

Santosh Kumar Singh
    (Sr. Microsoft Dynamics Axapta Technical,Mumbai)

Sorry for the diversion, but Steve, while your renewed interest in submitting contents here is highly appreciated, I suggest you read and understand the posting guidelines and follow them so that your writing prowess improves while at the same time we get have to have richer contents too. Hope you will appreciate that the forum section being a platform for discussion, threads that are just oneliners look quite odd out here. Please make an effort to be more descriptive so that we have a fruitful discussion on various topics and issues.

Members are requested to continue with the main thread.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

Telephonic interviews are different in every organisation and it all depends on whether you have chosen a product manufacturing company, a service rendering company or a research organisation. If you are invited by manufacturing company, then knowing about their products and their competitors is necessary. And if you are called for the interview by service rendering company, then knowing about their full service, rate contract and yearly contract including warranty period is must. And for research organisation, little knowledge about their progress so far should be known.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Few tips-

1. Do ground work before hand. Research about the company well by visiting their website. Your in-depth knowledge about the company may impress the interviewer.

2. Listen intently before speaking. Let the interviewer finish first and only after that you may ask if there is anything to ask. Asking a question in the middle of the interview is likely to interrupt the flow of the interview and affect the temperament of the interviewer.

3. Be prepared for the interview. Keep yourself calm and make sure that no break is needed during the interview. Turn off your TV, Stereo and any such other possible interruption. Either switch off your mobile phone in case being interviewed on landline phone or keep it in silent mode.

4. Keep your resume and notes ready in front of you for reference.

5. Keep a glass of water handy .

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I've heard more about skype interviews but glad to hear that telephonic interviews are still being done.

If I were you, I would read and read the job specifications, job descriptions, job plan and how your appointment will help the company and you. I would know the key figures, key people and the key products of the firm

I would also browse through what all I have submitted (degrees, medals, projects). Lot of people forget what's on their own CVs, it cuts a bad impression, if the person on the other end asks you questions about facts in your CV and you start fumbling.

I would be prepared to be questioned about the core skills, my best project or team work, why I left the last job, what I like and what I would improve if appointed. I would never be very critical in complaining about my previous workplaces, the bosses, the pay etc as this would give an idea that I could be a difficult employee or even sound that I am not very flexible.

I would also know where the interviewers are from. In India, we are used to talking rapidly and in a reasonable loud voice. For instance, in England, peole expect you to be polite, have a clear, audible, well spaced tone and speech.

I would learn how they wish and interact and listen to each question, then start framing my answer in a logical fashion and not jump around different issues.

I would not boast of my skills to overseas people, for instance in the healthcare sector abroad, people like you and appreciate, if you know the limitations, the basics of data protection, the escalation matrix when to ask for help etc.

The rest would be as per the above replies.

When you are facing an interview over the telephone you should be more attentive and concentrate on hearing their words. Don't intervene in between. Please hear their question completely and then only try to answer. Be slow and give a little between sentence to sentence so that the other person will have sufficient time to understand the conversation correctly. Please stick yourself to the question and don't go into the topic which is not very well known to you. Your answer should lead the other person to ask the question you have anticipated. That makes the interview very nice.during the course of interview see that no other person will intervene in between. Don't allow anybody else from your side to help you. It may give wrong signals to the company personnel. It is better to give a proper introduction in the beginning and the same should be in line with what you have mentioned in your resume. Generally, the representative of the company conducting the interview will start the process with an introduction about him. If not, you can ask him gently about him.
    drrao
    always confident

I think it should be raised in ask expert section.

• Sign In to post your comments