You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you remember your first earning in your life ?

Most of us have started earning after finishing our education and entering into a profession. However, even earlier while studying itself, some of us would have earned some money. The income this obtained need not be a payment for a job done, still that also is possible. Sometimes children will be getting some small amount as a present from relatives or from school. Whatever it may be as a child it gives much pleasure to him, especially when the same is used to buy something of his own choice.
    In my case I remember the 'Vishu' day on which day mother used to give two 'anna' (equivalent to twelve paise) as a special Vishu day present. The belief is that if we get something on that day the year will be going to be rich. Vishu day is the first day of Malayalam month 'Medam', the first month of the year (Malayalam year). On that day others, especially those working in house, compound or field also come to receive this token gift.
    This two Anna used to be my first earning and the same would be used to buy colourful matches, called 'mathappu' (when the match sticks are burned different colours appear for the flame).I have two brothers and a sister. Each of us get the same gift. Hence even crackers were also brought.
    Yes, I vividly remember. My first earning was in 1985, when I got Rs. 25/- as a runner-up prize in a quiz contest. My father got a bank account opened in my name with that amount. I got my first salary on 30th September, 1989 amounting to Rs. 1548/- (Rs. 1200/- Basic Pay + 29% DA) when I was undergoing training at Zonal Training School, Eastern Railway, Bhuli, Dhanbad.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Like the author, I also used to get the 'Vishukaineettam" in coins of 25 paise, 50 paise and maximum of one rupee. I never used to spend those coins. Earlier I used to give them to my mother after spending a very little amount from it. for me. Later on I came to know about the postal department 'savings stamps'. I used to buy savings stamps for those amounts and affix on the card given to me for that purpose from post office. When all that came to a total of five rupees after a few years, I could convert it to a post office saving bank for minors. That was my initial earnings and savings.
    By the time I reached class nine, I started giving tuition and started earning some tuition fees (just ten or twenty rupees). Then when I was in tenth class,I ot the best student award and the cash prize was (then) a whopping one hundred rupees.
    Later, in college I was given university scholarship and that was given to my father to tide away at least a part of the financial difficulty he was facing then.

The earning as monthly salary in my first job ( when I was just nearing twenty one) was a net amount of Rs 475/- That was in the seventies.

My first earning of the life is the scholarship got for being first in the district in 8th class exam. I was studying in government school and the amount rewarded was 860 rupees which was big amount for me and our family in the year 1976. When I told about the money being awarded to me, no one believed as seldom a government school gives such awards. But when my parents were invited for the function and when I got the money , that was the total surprise to our family and entire relations too. And my first full fledged salary was 740 rupees in the year 1980 which was again great in those days.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I think technically, the receipts of prize money and cash gifts from parents and relatives etc. are not 'earnings' as such. Therefore, I will talk about my first earning in the real sense which was a remuneration of Rs. 10 in the year 1973.

One day while reading the newspaper, I saw a small classified advertisement for a Chemistry teacher for evening classes in a coaching institute for PMT students. Minimum qualification was mentioned as M.Sc. in Chemistry. The institute was in my neighbourhood and I was a 18 years old student, had completed my B.Sc. with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics few months back and was studying in the first year of M.Sc. (Chemistry) in Lucknow University. During those days B.Sc. was only a 2 years course.

The next day, I visited the institute and introduced myself to the owner and requested him to give me an opportunity. After thinking for sometime, he said you can try and I case no problem arises then you can continue.

I succeed. Remuneration was Rs.10 per lecture. Thus I started earning @ Rs.10 per day. The above narration amply demonstrates that I remember my first earning well.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

The thrill, excitement and satisfaction of one's first earning is unforgettable. Generally, people remember it as it happened yesterday.
    My father was from a middle-class background and after a long service of 15/20 years, he could plan to build a house in a nearby location. During the construction of the house, he was in a tight financial condition and took small loans from various people including the building material suppliers in the market.

At that time, I was studying in class 11. The Carpenter, who was working in our house, told my father that his son was studying in class 4 was not doing well and required some guidance especially in mathematics. My father asked me whether I could teach the boy 2-3 times a week for an hour. I readily agreed to teach the boy in the early evening hours when I was free. The carpenter was staying in a nearby settlement about 1 km from my house so during the next three months, I regularly visited his house and taught the boy mathematical evaluations and other things which he could not grasp in school.

As per the market rate of tuition charges at that time, the carpenter was paying me 20 rupees per month. As this incident pertains to the year 1967, when 20 rupees was a big amount and when he paid me my first-month amount I was very happy and was pondering what I have to do with that amount. My father told me to purchase any magazine or stationery item or a table tennis bat of my choice or things like that.

My father was also very happy that his son was able to earn something during his studies. Really, the charm of first earning is unforgettable.

Knowledge is power.

yes, I remember my first earning in1995. I joint a private school, Mohammediya H. S. school, Rampura and started working as a teacher after competing by B.Sc. My first earning was only Rs. 500. I was very glad at that time since it was my first earning. I came back to home and gave all the rupees of my first earning to my father. Almost two years, I gave my total earning to my father. After that, my father advised me to deposit in the bank with my own account.
    Honesty is the best policy.

I was concentrating on my studies only till I completed my B.Sc. After B.Sc I joined for my M.Sc in Andhra University College of Science, AU campus, Visakhapatnam. While doing my post graduation in the evening I used to go to my relative's house and used to take tuition to his two sons and a daughter. After completing one month my relative offered me Rs.50/-. But I tried to convince him that no fees are required. But he somehow made me accept. That is how I started earning in my life. That first amount received was used to buy a saree for my mother. She was very happy by seeing the saree and still I remember the way she appreciated me for the gift I have given her during my education. From that month my earnings started. After my M.Sc I joined for my PhD with a CSIR fellowship. The first fellowship was used to buy a fan in our house and that is the first fan in our house.
    drrao
    always confident

I think technically, the receipts of prize money and cash gifts from parents and relatives are not 'earnings' as such. Therefore, I will talk about my first earning in the real sense which was a remuneration of Rs. 10 in the year 1973.

One day while reading the newspaper, I saw a small classified advertisement for a chemistry teacher for evening classes in a coaching institute for PMT students. Minimum qualification was mentioned as M.Sc. in Chemistry. The institute was in my neighbourhood and I was a 18 years old student, had completed my B.Sc. with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics few months back and studying in the first year of M.Sc. (Chemistry) in Lucknow University. During those days B.Sc. was only a 2 years course.

The next day, I visited the institute and introduced myself to the owner and requested him to give me an opportunity. After thinking for sometime, he said you can try and I case no problem arises then you can continue.

I succeed. Remuneration was Rs.10 per lecture. Thus I started earning @ Rs.10 per day. The above account amply demonstrates that I remember my first earning well.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes, it was in 1976 my first earning was Rs.35. During our college time, there was a scheme in our college, student Aid worker. Under this, myself and my brother were given work in college library daily one hour after the college or during lunch hour or during free hours. I and my brother got Rs.35 each on the first month completion. We handed over the amount to our mother who in turn prepare sweet in house with the money and gave all the house members (as we lived in joint family). This was remembered me always.

My first official earning was 900/- + 500 bonus=1400/- seeing my honesty and hard work. No one forget their first salary and it was the same with me. I felt respected when there was addition amount added into that.

The first income was Rs. 500/- which was given to me for the tuition fees that I offered their child. This happened during my graduation.

That time, this much used to be my one Month room rent.

I do remember those days way back to Dec 1970, when I joined the Bokaro Steel Plant as a senior operative- training earning a humble salary of Rs 135. But those were the the days such a sum earned per month was enough to pay the mess - bill and maintain other expenditure.
    We the trainees had to report Rourkela- campus training centre early in the morning at 8.30 am Sharp and departure time was around 6 pm but the way we were engaged in the different sessions of the classes, we hardly had the time for the boredom though for some trainees the entire duration of the training was full of boredom.
    Later, I realised the benifits of such a rigorous training after joining my regular assignments where the inputs learnt in the training session proved to be immensely helpful in carrying out our jobs.
    This training also offered a valuable input that jobs should be carried out with a full devotion and it should not be clubbed with the money - consideration.

The first earnings for me were what coins we got as gifts at the end of our summer holidays. Going from the city to the native ancestral village for summer holidays, meant that the city boys are special, uncles and grandfathers used to give us Rs:5-10 when we come back from the village.
    We used to buy tinkle comics (it was around Rs2/book), chocolates ( parle rose mint) etc. Part of the money would be put in the clay money savings box. Those are nostalgic memories when money had more value and we could buy more for a few coins.

• Sign In to post your comments