You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Elephant and Bell proverb in Tamil - is a precaution to all

No one in this world is an exception for the love of Elephant and I am crazy with this animal and I do not know how many photographs of elephants are available on my phone and camera. It is really loved to watch elephant and while walking with the bell worn around the neck. The lovable walk and pleasant bell chime are adorable, this proverb in Tamil always is a caution to the human being as effect later and cause first.

The proverb goes like this

Aanai varum pinne, mani osai varum munne,
    kedu varum pinne, mathi kettu varum munne.(transliteration of Tamil)

"Elephant comes later, bell sounds first,
    Disaster comes later, recklessness comes first"

If we look at the dictionary for the meaning of recklessness, it says about the consequences of one's actions. So it is better to think before act.

This is an entry for TOW on Bell
    A meaningful proverb, that should be passed on to present day youngsters who ride two-wheelers with such recklessness that some of them end up paying the ultimate price. Similarly, the reckless attitude while taking selfies in a potentially dangerous situation (close to a hurtling train, wild animals) also leads to disasters, this has also been proven true on many occasions. What's interesting in the proverb is the first line sounds so different from the next line.

I never heard this proverb earlier. But after reading the thread of Ms. Saroja, I do feel that it is a meaningful proverb particularly useful for the Generation X and generation Y of today.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Wow what a meaningful proverb which was well connected to the TOM and presented in a nice form. But some elephants are so ferocious that even tying a bell on its neck would be challenging.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Very nice. A good proverb and well connected to TOW. Be careful and be safe. Generally, we all get indications about accidents in the form of near misses. If we recognise and act correctly accidents will be avoided. But if you ignore them it will be a disaster. Ignoring the nearmisses is carelessness.
    drrao
    always confident

Good thread.
    I would add my own proverb in Tamil.
    Peraasai Varum Munne, Perum Nastam Varum Pinne .(Greediness comes first and heavy loss comes next)
    Oli varum munne, Osai Varum Pinne Or Minnal varum munne, Idi varum pinne (Lightening comes before the thunder).

No life without Sun

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.