You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

A quiz: Can you tell me who wrote these?

1. In 1893, a person wrote to the Natal Parliament saying that a "general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are a little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa."

2. In 1904, the same person wrote to a health officer in Johannesburg: "About the mixing of the Kaffirs with the Indians, I must confess I feel most strongly."

3. In the same year, he again wrote that unlike the Africans, the Indians had no "war-dances, nor does he drink Kaffir beer".

[Source: Stretcher-Bearer of Empire (South Asia in Motion): Ashwin Desai, Goolem Vahed]

Can you tell me who wrote these lines?
    Partha, it was rather simple to know as to who has written these lines. I just selected the text, right clicked and googled.

These lines were written by none other than our father of nation, the great Mahatma Gandhi. Many South Africans in the past had accused him of working with the British to promote racial segregation. His statue was also vandalised in the South Africa.

Let us treat Mahatma Gandhi also as a human being. He was put on the pedestal of Mahatma only in the later part of his life. We have to reiterate that to err is human, in case his statements look awkward and misfit in his larger than life image.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes, Mr. Kailash Kumar. He may be great, but he made many mistakes. We must not put him on the pedestal and worship him. Instead, we must learn to analyze his action and try not to make the same mistake.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Partha, Even the Maharishi Balmiki was a Dacoit, he used to kill people for money or Jewellers. But, we remembered him as a Maharishi and not Dacoit, who wrote the Epic holy book Ramayana.

The Same way, Gandhiji too had two sides of his life. We remember him for what the good thing he has done for the country and people. Yes, he may have his negative sides, his some of the decision are questionable. Yet, we can not reject the truth that He was a man who had lots of respect from not only our own people but world over. There might be some positive about him for what he got the title of "Mahatma".

I am not a big fan of "Gandhiji" nor I blindly believe in his theory. I am too a kind of person who can not give him entire credit for our independence. Yet, I can not avoid his status and impact on and during our independence struggle.

If he would have selfish and thought of his own, he could have still lived doing sycophancy to British Government and live his life peacefully but he selected his path other way around.

So, let's respect for the person of his positive side.

Mr. Jeet Singh: I like your detailed and reasonable response. But personally, I am pained by his various activities, especially during the period 1938 to 1948. I think he was personally responsible for the terrible agony of millions and millions of men and women during partition and riot. He could have prevented it, but did not due to his illogical affection to some of the Congress leaders and opposition to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and other great revolutionaries like Bhagat Singh and Chandrasekhar Azad.

I have not read or heard anywhere that Netaji, Bhagat Singh or Chandrasekhar had said anything against Gandhiji. while they too have peoples support. They all have believed in him knew that they were having opposite ideology and thus they can not work together. They all knew that Gandhiji was not against of them but their ideology. It is true that he has his personal liking of some congress leaders. However, it is not true that he was behind the partition. In fact he was against of it and till the last moment he tried to save getting separated the country into two. The partition of India came because of the clever British Government who were supporting Mr. Jinnah. It is wrong to blame him for the partition.

There will be always some positives and some negatives associated with everyone. The popular saying is that imbibe good qualities from others and forget about the other qualities. It is good to follow. But sometimes the suffering will feel certainly bad for the actions of others. Like this Mahatma Gandhi has done very good service to the nation and played an important role in bringing the nation the most wanted independence and no one can deny this. But some of his actions will be giving us some negative feelings in our thoughts. I also sometimes feel that Gandhi might have stopped the division of the country. That might have made our country much richer than today. The very purpose of accepting for the division is known to the whole country and no one needs an explanation for that. But we all should be thankful for him as he made us live in Independent India.
    drrao
    always confident

Dr. Rao: I can't agree to your view ''But we all should be thankful for him as he made us live in Independent India''. India hasn't become independent because of only one person, the theory which some politicians and historians have been trying to feed us for last 70 years.

Well erring is the part of human action and even Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi might have erred. But after he fought and Got the Independence to our country, his actions earned him the title of Mahatma. Let us not belittle the works done by the simplest man of the earth. Every person has the bitter past. For some we do not know and for many we know their bad existence. But even then, when a person changes his attitude, then we should not read between the lines about his youth and senior status. Remember he could garner the popular support without any gadgets or communications in his hand. All through his charisma. Lets respect for that.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mahatma Gandhi was a great motivator and had a great capability to mould people to act in a particular path. He did what people might not had done with arms and weapons. The Britishers felt helpless when he attacked them in a non violence manner.

Every light has an attached shade and if Gandhiji failed in some tasks it is to be taken sportingly by us rather to criticize him. He thought above caste and religion and had a vision of classless society. He firmly believed that people should not be humiliated on the basis of caste and creed.

We may differ with some of his ideas but the whole world acknowledges his achievements in freeing India from Britishers.

Knowledge is power.

1. "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it'', said Spanish philosopher Georges Santayana. When will we Indians understand this?

2. #631522: Mr. Jeet Singh, you have said: ''I have not read or heard anywhere that Netaji, Bhagat Singh or Chandrasekhar had said anything against Gandhiji. '' ---Yes, it is true. But it is the greatness of these revolutionaries, not the greatness of Mohandas Gandhi.

3. The attitude and comments of Mohandas Gandhi about Netaji, Bhagat Singh or Chandrasekhar Azad do not reflect his greatness.

Mr.Partha, everyone has a right to question, discuss and criticise a fellow human being including our great leaders. Like two sides of a coin, they are also humans. While you have quoted three lines related to Gandhiji in South Africa, I'm quoting some snippets too.

One has to read the history of Natal state. Transvaal and Orange free state to understand the political environment in present-day South Africa with respect to Indians and the discrimination they had to face. 1893 was the year in which there were plans to curb the Indian merchants/migrants.In 1894, Gandhiji was requested by the Indians to help them fight the bills passed to restrict Indian trades and their rights. Gandhiji spent the next twenty years fighting injustice.

If you read Gandhiji's life in South Africa between the phase of 1893-1896 and then from 1896 -1914, he has done wonders including helping the Indians with their legal problems without taking any fees. One should also read his discussion with Thillaiyadi Valliammai, a 16-year-old girl who became a martyr during the struggle, he met her after her imprisonment and just before he left South Africa, Gandhiji paid homage to her at the cemetery.

Jan Smuts, a high ranking officer interacted with Gandhiji over many years, when he was gifted by a pair of slippers by Gandhiji, Smuts said, I am not worthy enough to stand in the shoes of so great a man... I had the highest respect for him...

If a colonial, 'white man' who disliked Indians, could understand, be humbled and have respect for Gandhiji, can't we as Indians take a leaf out of Smut's book and respect our own father of the nation?

#631588 Partha, I have clearly and without any biases, posted my response no #631518, I have stated about both his negativity and some decision which are questionable about his character. I don't think there is anything more I have to say about this thread.

As far as greatness is concerned, for me each citizen of India those who participated in Indian freedom struggle are not less than Gandhi ji or Netaji or Bhagat Singh or Chandrashekhar. It was an united afford of people of India because of them we got freedom. No one is less greater.

I have nothing more to say in this thread.

• Sign In to post your comments