You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Do you think lack of proficiency makes us to prefer using simple English?

Writing skills too play an important role in our career. In good olden days, we used to hear the word - 'a pen man'. It means he is very good at presenting a good draft with very good English and people used to line at his house to get a good draft for posting their grievances to higher authorities. Even in our daily office routine, those people with good English and drafting skills are well respected and always looked at to attend to the work of their boss.

Thus being good at written English makes you more powerful. Many of us have the skill to write well but not good at spoken English while some are very good at spoken language while they fail bitterly to put it on paper/using key board. The difference is simple. It is the language you use - using simple terms or a complex words. But some people are so proficient that they use very good new words which carry beautiful meaning but we have to search for dictionary because of the command over the language. I tried many a times but failed bitterly as I can't carry a Dictionary with me and preferred to opt simple words as no other option for me. What about you?
    It primarily depends on the size of vocabulary one possess. Having a vocabulary of less than 10,000 words in a language enables an individual to dabble in that language by way of reading, speaking, understanding and writing. But the command over language gets polished with the expansion of domain of vocabulary.

Vocabulary can be expanded by reading and practicing writing by using the newly learned words. Nowadays there is no need of carrying a dictionary while working on a computer as many online dictionaries are available. On can always minimise the window on which he/she is working and refer the online dictionary by opening the same in a new window.

However, referencing the online dictionaries will prove practical only for verification of meaning of known words only. It cannot be used for scouting a new word to be used or fitted in a sentence presently being drafted.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

This thread brings me memories of the difference I was taught between 'prose and poetry'. Prose is simple terms/language for the common man and poetry in the flowery language for the learned/intellectuals.

I think, it's not only the lack of proficiency, it is also the situation, the people whom we are speaking with. Using too much of sophisticated phrases and complex words will be frowned upon at social gatherings or official communications etc.

If one were to write a creative piece, say a forum thread or an invited article on literature, history, period dramas etc, then we can certainly make the best use of our proficiency. Proficiency even would mean something as simple as speed of writing with minimal errors.

I feel the very intention of writing is to convey the message to others. Here I feel that we should aim that the message written by us should be understood by the reader. So it is always better to use simple English with small sentences and common words so that the reader will get the correct message. We should understand the standard of the reader when we are writing something. We should keep in mind that we are not writing that to show our exemplary skills in the language. If its poetry or for a language competition, the basis may be different. I feel a person who can communicate his intentions in a simple language is a good writer. Of course, when you are with very good language Pundits you can show your extraordinary vocabulary so that they will appreciate your talent. So the essence what I want to tell is the writing should be written keeping the receiver in mind.
    drrao
    always confident

Interestingly enough one of the best examples of written prose is scientific papers published in reputed journals. In such papers, the language is totally precise and accurate.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

We may be proficient in English and also have the niche to create good new words and present in good appreciable form, but what is the use when others cannot understand as to what we have written. That means when we use some hard words which are not in practice, all the readers are not accustomed to understand and thus they are confused and may skip our content. From my side I always use simple English which is ease for me, easy to understand by others and they can also instantly respond. Even while talking, be careful to talk normal words, otherwise the opposite person may not understand.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Learning a language to higher proficiency requires a lot of hard work and dedication. Building up the vocabulary and garlanding beautiful sentences with it is the ultimate art of writing.

Many people have got good memory and interest in literature line and learn the magnificent phrases and then present it in their work. Everyone can not achieve that level. I wish if I were also able to perform like that.

Knowledge is power.

"Thus being good at written English makes you more powerful"
    The above statement from the author shows the poor mentality we Indian have which is still continuing. Perhaps, India is only a global country where English has given too much importance. If we are very good in English, we are educated, if we are struggling in English, people laugh at us. The other day I was talking to one of my friend who stay in US and he was saying that there (In US), people really do not care much about your proficiency in English and people are not judge by their English skill. When my Indian friend said the importance and how people react if you are not good at English, those people were laughed at it.

It is such mentality which we are not able to overcome and I too really find it laughable when people feel proud of their proficiency in English and show up as if they have achieved impossible! It is we who created English as a biggest thing in our daily life. But merely we put our view that it is not our mother tongue. We talk English to communicate people who does not know our language.

For me if you write something in English and people can understand your message, it is more than enough. English or any language is not about knowing 1000 or 10,000 vocabulary words, its all about how you convey your message so the people opposite you understand. I don't thing to write any impressive content you need to use complex vocabulary, you can left your impression with simple words too.

The time has come to change the way we look at English language.

Agreed.

Anyone having a literary background also carry a good command over the language & able to execute the same in a very diversified manner. In comparison, the layman doesn't have the control & so go for the simple day to day words. I have read the novels of many famous novelist like the Sidney Sheldon & find absolute marvelous over the choice of words that keep on adding to the sentences when combined & coming out of something as we are watching them characters as live. Do agree that we don't have the imagination & madness to achieve such an identity.

But the important thing is that we speak to the individuals who also not having that kind of profound knowledge & so its ok for us. But tis will be good if we can continue to improve ourselves with adding more words to our vocabulary. We can do our job this way too.

As in continuation, that the author has quite remarkably expressed his thoughts but at the same time very easy to understand. Quite appreciating.

Although we say that learning English has no added advantage in India, in actuality, it is the other way round. Those who fluent in English definitely get added advantage in employment and in other walks of life. Only a few days ago, I noticed that a lady got priority in a serpentine queue in front of the registration counter of a Government hospital. She spoke English, rebuked others in English for breaking the queue, herself came late and registered herself ahead of others waiting in the queue and met the doctor first.

This happens everywhere in India. We are still mentally slave.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

• Sign In to post your comments