You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you agree that it is impossible to predict as to how many responses a new thread is likely to get

The authors painstaking develop and post threads for discussion in the forum section on a variety of topics ranging from current affairs to religion and spirituality. However, nobody knows as to what finally will happen to the thread i.e. how many responses it will get. Often due to varying reasons, only few responses are received despite the topic being catchy and of topical interest.

The authors have no other option than to bear with the outcome or fate of the thread. There is nothing much which can be done for getting more responses. If it clicks then it clicks otherwise nothing can make it click.

Do you agree that it is impossible to predict as to how many responses, a new thread is likely to get?
    The intention of every author while creating a thread would like to have more responses and good responses and not the negative ones. And if the first response happens to be good and early, we can see such kind of responses from others. But some times when one negative response and subsequent out burst by others would derail the thread and its intentions. And for me even one response which comes immediately after raising the post would given immense satisfaction and I wont count the responses. And for a writer to grow, good responses are the indication of the right track the contents were appended.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I fully agree with Mr. Kailash Kumar in this regard. It is very tough to understand the readers' preference. In ISC Forum section, some of my best threads (according to me) haven't been read at all. But some casual threads posted by me witnessed fiery interaction and debate. Those who can feel the pulse of the readers, are the most popular writers.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Though it is impossible to predict the reception of thread, there are many hacks and tricks that can help you gain more traffic in your thread.
    At first, the title. Let the title be a vague one and always the one related to current affairs.
    For an instance, Kathua incident or Cauvery issue will gain more traffic than a "friend in need is a friend indeed" post. Being a current issue, members would be tempted to draw conclusions and put their opinions in your thread. Then keep responding the member's reply, so that your thread will be sticking out in forum homepage. Seeing the more amount of responses on your thread other members would be piqued to contribute too. So..your traffic will definitely increase.

Well that's a basic strategy though. Timing is very crucial. Make sure you address the issue when activity is at the peak, otherwise your thread will drown amongst the countless other threads.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

#633601 - Increasing the traffic is the commercial aspect of a website. Here we are talking about responses from fellow ISCians as a measure of satisfaction.

However, it is true that title of topical interest fetches more attention and responses too.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes, I do agree with the author that it is impossible to predict as to how many responses a new thread will receive. It generally depends on many factors like quality of the post, the matter of interest, the time when it is posted, etc. I have also observed that many members response in their own thread for appearing the thread on the first page of theforum section.
    Honesty is the best policy.

It is true. Sometimes the thread what we think that will get maximum responses will not be noticed by anyone. But some threads which we think may not get good responses will have many posts. It is very unpredictable. So we should not expect anything from our posts and do our duty is to post thread. Do that. Then leave it to ISC and its members. It may get awards and rewards. It may have maximum responses. It may have no responses and it may be even deleted by ISC. So we should leave it once we posted it. Ultimately what has to happen will happen. We have no control.
    drrao
    always confident

'Karmanye Vadhikaraste, Ma phaleshou kada chana, Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhurmatey Sangostva Akarmani' which roughly translates into English language as -
    'You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider yourself to be the cause of the results of your activities, and never be attached to not doing your duty'.

This depends upon the subject matter of the submission. In the first place topic must be unique in order to make some good impression & finally the matter has to be briefed in such a way that reader goes on reading.

Everything matters here. It's like the author is trying to market his commodity or the services. If everything goes right then this will attract more comments.

What I would suggest is to just continue with your subject of interest & share your experience & continue to add more so as to show your presence & rest would be complimentary.

It is not possible to predict the number of responses to a regular thread. One can expect more responses if it's related to politics, a congratulatory thread or a thread that asks a question do you agree or disagree.

The reasons for this would be variable, what is dear to us may not raise a flicker of interest in others, the time members can spend in ISC and who much of it in the forum.

Some members stay away from the political discussion, similarly, some may not like controversial subjects and stay away. Members do not like long lengthy threads.

The timing of replies also will be questioned without knowing the personal situations of the members, regular responders would be considered as people who are regular for the points.

For the originator, the thread should give a creative satisfaction that he/she has put down her thoughts in an acceptable format. For the responders, the thread should strike a cord or entice them to give their views/experience. Ultimately both get points but we should make an effort to respond to forum threads to keep it going.

#633682 - I fully concur with the views expressed but at the same time we will have to agree that certain thoughts emanating from authors active since many years have started appearing stale or old wine kept in a new bottle. However, the authors are still getting responses because of such serial responders only.

It is not impossible but possible. We can predict minimum 5 responses for sure. That will be from Mr. Mohan, Mr. Partha, Mr. Kailash Kumar, Mr. Srinivasa Rao and Mr. Natarajan . Whether the subject is concerned or not, these members will ensure to respond to the thread.
    No life without Sun

#633705 - The 5 authors mentioned by SuN happen to be forum superstars and they have attained this position by leaving no stoned unturned to earn points. But still, few threads don't get responses from even these 5 authors.

• Sign In to post your comments