You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Does a foreign degree help you to succeed better?

The charm of a foreign degree still entices many students and families who go all out to find the funding to the course and then hope that it will start opening a new or better life abroad or in India.

In the olden days, a medical or engineering degree was the ones we heard about, now we have a wide range of degrees being given out like a global MBA, masters in various sectors. In the current day world, education has also become a money churner for foreign universities and the economy is not great in many of the foreign countries.

So, most people get enchanted by the reception they get as students in these places and then face the bleak reality when they have to struggle to get a visa, a residency permit to actually work.

So, I think, investing in a foreign degree in the current global scenario should be well thought over and researched (except people who can easily afford to course and sustenance expenses in USA, Australia, UK etc)
    Impression is a different thing & though the degrees can work in shortlisting you but the interview is again wherein the candidate has to show his knowledge & understanding. The curriculum of foreign degrees & the curriculum of the Indian courses would be different & so the similarity of the implications of abroad & in our country would also be different.

And so, along with the degrees, the practical knowledge is essential so as to reach to the upper level of the management & earn a good share. The IIM of India are the prestigious institutes for management & other studies but doesn't even considered any of them for the top rankings even though the foreign students also come here for study. So there isn't any one or two things which are important but numbers of others factors which contribute to the overall benefits for any courses or a curriculum.

Where one studies and what one studies is one hundred percent important.

For example, those with a very good GMAT score and the tests of English scores, get admitted to the really top Bschools for the MBA program like Stanford, Harvard, the University of Michigan and so on.

The other run-of-the-mill MBA degrees from USA are as good, or as bad as, MBAs from horrible Indian Universities like the Tiruvalluvar University, Vellore.

So, let us not be just guided by the namesake foreign degrees. As rightly pointed out by the author, the foreign Universities conduct so many educational fairs and attract our Indian students with so many promises, most of which are really fake and really untrue.

It is like doing a Master s Degree in Economics from the world famous Delhi School of Economics and doing the same from an ordinary college.

Always choose the best. Only the best. If it is not possible to get an admission into the best institutions, it is wise to settle for the best within India itself.

We have exported the best of brains to all corners of the world. Let us remember this hard fact.

As far as foreign degrees are concerned, it is so essential that we have the most authentic information before doing anything.

The spot admission colleges are best avoided, even if they are from the most superb environments one can get to see abroad.

Either it is a foreign degree or Indian degree, the worth of the candidate is always important. I know a doctor in my place. He is very famous in that area and had a lot of practice. His son and daughter couldn't make a seat in India for doing MBBS. Both of them were sent to Russia and obtained their medical degrees there. They came back and got trained under his father and now both of them are doing excellent practice and minting money. Here the important point is the established father's career has given them an edge over other doctors in the area.
    In India also there are world-class institutions and many of our IIT students are going to abroad for a good job. So it is not that foreign degrees only fetch god career. There are many universities of other countries which are very inferior in quality but deceive students to earn good money. So students should be careful in this aspect.

drrao
    always confident

The same is true for a number of institutes in the country, as well. They floor you with big campuses and impressive gates, and affiliations with foreign universities. Such institutes 'literally' churn out students who lack required skills and are unfit for the industry. I have come across a number of reports that state that most Indian graduates are unemployable.

That being said, I'd like to add that getting into the right institution (whether in India or abroad) is what matters.

My daughter just graduated from her MBA programme, from one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in the world, ranked as it is among the top 5 Business Schools, globally. She also got herself a dream job. That, I think qualifies me to have my say on the topic.

I would like to correct Absivakumar, who stated that those with a very good GMAT and English language score get admission into top B schools. That is far from the truth. An aspirant need not have a great GMAT score to get admission, into a top B school. There are cases where applicants with dismal scores of 500 made it into the best B schools.

There is a lot more to it than GMAT & IELTS scores, for instance – previous academic performance (I know for certain that most B schools consider candidates who show an impeccable academic record and those who have consistently performed well). The university one attended for one's undergrad programme matters too. Another aspect that plays a role in securing a seat is the Statement of Purpose (SOP). Then there are essays to be written and questionnaires to be answered. There are interviews too, as part of the selection process. And not to forget recommendation letters from former teachers at the university that one went to and letters of recommendation from the employer. One needs a minimum of three years of experience, while some schools require more work experience. The type of industry that one worked in too makes a difference. Getting into a top Business School is no cakewalk.

Coming to Natarajan's viewpoint, I agree with him to a certain extent. Before getting a Resident Permit one needs to land a job. And this is where the problem arises. Getting a degree from a foreign university is not a ticket to a job or residency. One has to go through rigorous tests and interview processes which can go on for weeks, if not months, before being offered a job. One has to prove one's mettle. And if one has what it takes, then there can be no reason for regret.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

• Sign In to post your comments