You must Sign In to post a response.
Want to write a chapter for an e-book? Register right here for an exciting photo-based e-book contest!
  • Category: Reward Programs

Photo-based e-book contest: Registrations invited

Since members expressed their interest in e-book contests in feedback last year, we will have one soon. This time, a photo will be given in order to provide a new dimension to it. Additionally, each author has to give a title to his/her chapter.

Those keen on writing a chapter for the e-book should post a response to this thread, expressing their interest to participate.

How the e-book will be written:
    1. There will be a separate announcement of the actual contest, with a title and a photo attached.
    2. In the order of the responses which come in here, members will write a chapter for the e-book in that thread. One member will write only one chapter, keeping to the word limit which will be provided.
    3. The authors have to write a chapter within 24hrs of the time-stamped in the previously submitted chapter. Thus, for example, if XYZ writes Chapter 1 at 12.39, Chapter 2 should be written by PQR before 12.39 the next day.
    4. In case the author who is designated to write does not do so, then the next author in the order of registration will be expected to write that particular chapter. To avoid confusion, I will give a list of the order in a response to this thread, in batches of 5 or 6.
    5. In order to keep the story on track and not let it go haywire, I will provide a particular element to each author which he/she should include in the chapter to be submitted.

Ready to write a chapter? Register now! As of now, no closing time to register, but registrations may close after about 15-16 members have registered. Cash awards for the best chapters will be announced in the contest thread.

For those who are new to the e-book contest concept, you can refer to the earlier one to understand how to participate.
    I am registering myself. I will definitely try to write on the given topic and photo/image.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Good to hear about another ebook contest. please accept my registration too for one of the chapters..

Count me in too!

I will also try to write a chapter. Let me provide a chance.
    Honesty is the best policy.

I am interested in writing a chapter if a chance is given. This is to inform my interest to write a chapter in the photo-based ebook.
    drrao
    always confident

I am very much interested to contribute to the ebook once again.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Please count me in too. I want to give it a try again.

I offer my intention to write a chapter.

Wow! another e-book contest.
    Please count me in for this.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

I am interested. Please count me in.
    “Give instructions only to those people who seek knowledge after they have discovered their ignorance.”-Confucius

I am interested to contribute in this contest. Please count me in.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

I am interested to take part in this ebook contest. Please add me in.
    Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

Thanks, everyone for your registrations. I am postponing this for the time being as currently, I am not in a mood to conduct any contest.
    When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

With my team member now back home, will resume contests' activities. I will announce the start of this e-book soon, if possible today itself.

The first 5 chapters will be written in this order:
    Chapter 1: Partha K
    Chapter 2: Natarajan
    Chapter 3: Neethu
    Chapter 4: Hakimuddin Kuwakhedawala
    Chapter 5: Dr. N.V. Srinivasa Rao

Please wait for further instructions. More registrations are welcome.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Just now I have seen this announcement. Noted it.

Authors can start writing the e-book. Follow this thread to know your Chapter number and follow the announcement thread to know which element to include in your chapter. As per feedback from members, hereon more prizes will be distributed for all such forum-based contests.

Have fun!

Vandana Mam, I wish to participate in this ebook contest.
    Live life Kingsize!

I have submitted the first chapter at 18:52 Hours on 16th June, 2018.

I have just now submitted the second chapter of this e-book contest

Hi Vandana,

Due to office work, I opt out of the contest. I didn't get time to write on it.

I have submitted the third chapter of e book contest.
    Honesty is the best policy.

I have to write the fourth chapter after Mr Hakimuddin. I am waiting for the post from ME regarding the element to be included in the chapter. Hope I will get it today.
    drrao
    always confident

Sorry, completely forgot about this thread though I was online here yesterday in the afternoon and should have put in a response after the submission of Chapter 3. Must eat more almonds!!

Dr. Rao - you will be writing chapter 4 since Neethu dropped out. I have put in the instructions just now.

The next chapters will be written by:
    Chapter 5: Aditya Mohan
    Chapter 6: Venkiteswaran
    Chapter 7: Vij
    Chapter 8: Padmini
    Chapter 9: Saji Ganesh

I have submitted my chapter just now in the ebook contest thread. I submitted just 2 or 3 minutes back.
    drrao
    always confident

I have submitted my contribution to this story. I'm liking the trend of the story so far.

A slight delay due to a busy schedule...next chapter's element put in now.

Vandana,
    I want to make my comeback to ISC after a long time by writing a chapter too.
    Could you please add me in?

Let's see the world from different perspectives

I had posted my chapter by 4 .27 pm on 23 rd(yesterday)

Aditya V, welcome back! Yes, you can participate. Please follow this thread to know the chapter number which you will write and follow the main contest thread to know what you need to include in your chapter.

I have just posted my Chapter few minutes back.

I submitted my chapter just now at 8:47 AM on 26th June, 18.
    Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

The next in line after Chapter 9 is submitted are -
    Chapter 10: Neeru Bhatt
    Chapter 11: Srimathi
    Chapter 12: Joyshree
    Chapter 13: Aditya V. (concluding chapter)

Registrations are now closed. We will finish the e-book with Chapter 13.

I have submitted my contribution as Chapter-10 today on 28th June,18 at 0825 hrs.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

I have submitted my chapter 11 today at 29th June 13:51.
    Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

I just noticed that I have posted my chapter beyond the given time. I understand that I lost the eligibility to compete for any prize. Still I request the team to let me be a part of this ebook and consider my chapter in the book. I deeply apologize for my mistake.

Though I don't want to give this as a reason, I want to convey that I am not that irresponsible person to a commitment. I reside in US, so, this time confusion has happened to me. Sorry. I stay careful to avoid such mistakes to be happened in future from my end.

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

Srimathi,

It's alright. Even though, as you rightly pointed out, you are ineligible for the main prize due to the late entry, you will still be eligible for enhanced points & cc which are given to non-winning participants if the entry is worthy of it. Your chapter will remain as part of the e-book and the next author will pick up the story from there. No worries!

Thank you Vandana Mam.
    Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

I posted my chapter.
    Live life Kingsize!

Vandana,
    I've posted the concluding chapter.

Let's see the world from different perspectives

The e-book has closed with Aditya's concluding chapter. Many thanks to everyone's enthusiastic participation. I and other editors on the jury will select the winners and announce them within 10 days.

Since I am one of the judges, I will not comment on the individual chapters. However, overall I think this e-book went off pretty well, looked better than the previous ones on the doorkeeper & the cuckoo clock.

I have read the entire story consisting of 13 chapters. The story has moved in an entirely different direction. I had planned to build the story on an enduring friendship among eight soldiers (seven Indians and one Italian). But Francesca and Kuldeep entered the scene and took the story in a totally different direction. Then Ram Kumar started drinking and as usual, drinking caused problems in his married life and also in the story.

Personally, I liked the chapters submitted by Mr. Saji Ganesh and Ms. Joyshree the most. They tried to maintain the smooth progress of the story and give unexpected turns to the events.

Now a word or two for Mr. Natarajan, who wrote the second chapter:-
    1. A major can't be medical orderly. You made Major Ram Kumar a medical orderly.
    2. How did Major Ram Kumar leave for Rome the next day, and, that too by train? Was it possible in a war-ravaged country?
    3. How could he meet his wounded Italian friend on the same train?
    4. My first chapter was not a total wild imagination. Such event did take place in the real-life Battle of Monte Cassino. But Squadron Leader Vijay Sharma is an imaginary character.

Now that the book is complete, I personally felt that this story progressed well, what I liked is each author has brought in an element of realism, fresh angle within the limits of what he/she could do sticking to the concept given by ME, without deviating much from the previous chapter.

Mr.Partha, regarding your points.
    1. A major can't be medical orderly. You made Major Ram Kumar a medical orderly.

I made Major RamKumar the leader of the medics( a doctor in the Indian Army starts as a captain and moves on to Major).

2. How did Major Ram Kumar leave for Rome the next day, and, that too by train? Was it possible in a war-ravaged country?

In the first chapter, there was a sudden jump from a store window to a fierce war zone.
    I had to introduce a happy incident in one of the Indians coming home. What more than War followed by Peace,Home and Love?
    I did mention train station amid destruction from war. In world war II, trains were the major lifeline for men and material to be moved on land.

3. How could he meet his wounded Italian friend on the same train?
    Why can't he? Battle wounded would be treated in the field and shifted to the major hospitals.

4. My first chapter was not a total wild imagination. Such event did take place in the real-life Battle of Monte Cassino. But Squadron Leader Vijay Sharma is an imaginary character.

To me, it's just a story, wherein the beauty of the contest is that the writer has to reign in his/her imagination and keep it interesting yet following the board guidelines without knowing what the writer before after had in their minds.

I have absolutely no complaints this time. As Vandana mentioned, this ebook surpasses the previous ebooks in quality and the plot. One suggestion though. Why do you all always incline towards thrillers? There can be non-thriller fictions that can make an equal ever-lasting impact. The three ebooks I've been part of are thrillers. And that is what disappoints me, because there is only so much one can do with thrillers.
    A dies. B investigates. C is found out to have committed the crime. C is put forth before justice or in some rare occasions is set free.

See how rigid the structure is. And also, when it comes to thrillers, every contributing member will have a different idea. And since the structure is too rigid, the overall plot progression would look like a complete mess. The character that you had been rooting for until then is made culprit by the next member. How bad are you gonna feel? The cuckoo clock story was amazingly written by everyone but I couldn't help but notice, it's "cliche".
    As writers we are all vouchers of creativity and cliche is just not for us. Let us be unique.

Vandana. I have this request for you. Can you restrict this inclination towards thrillers in our next ebook contest? Please make it a guideline. Let us all be more free in our approach from the next time writers!

Now coming to the Mannequin story. I've already shown how much I'm impressed by this ebook. What made this ebook so different from the other ebooks? The elements were given this time too. The very start was a photo about which the story progressed. So...it's obvious. We were restricted even more than then. But like a diamond, the Mannequin story came shining under pressure. I think I know what made this ebook better. The same wavelengths among members. We didn't try to meaninglessly deviate and try to hoist our chapter above others. We did a splendid teamwork worthy of applause. No individual foreshadowing at all.
    I did a mistake in previous ebook, the Cuckoo clock. I tried to frame my chapter like a poem. I'm good at writing poems. So I did. But it was also partly because I thought that would give my chapter a different aura. Infact I had diverted the plot too for my convenience.
    So stupid was I that I couldn't realize how drastically that bit messes with both structure and tone of the story. That was my attention seeking tendency right there. As a result I didn't win the first prize.

I'm glad that I didn't seek much attention this time and put my focus on strengthening the existing narrative. And so did the rest of members. We all concentrated on making this ebook great and we did. I keep reading the whole story again and again.

"Vandana. I have this request for you. Can you restrict this inclination towards thrillers in our next ebook contest? "------------------Mr. Aditya, how many restrictions do you want? Excessive restrictions will ultimately restrict creativity.

As few others mentioned, this ebook is better than the cuckoo clock. (I have not read the first ebook of ISC yet). I could see every author of this book got sticked to the story, this could be mainly because of the elements mentioned.

As Aditya mentioned, it happens that a character portrayed as hero in one chapter turns to be a villain in next chapter unexpectedly. Some tries to give reason to that in following chapter, that can again make that character a positive again.

Even in cuckoo clock, I tried doing the same for the lead character. When they flow was like portraying the lead character as culprit, I pointed out that he was a zameendar and no greed for money, but he did something in favour of his friend. I did so to keep the lead character positive and also keep the connectivity with his background.

In this story, my element is to talk about a single mannequin. It was already mentioned that Ramkumar's death has mystery, so I thought it should not be left open. So I brought back Kuldeep into pic.

Bringing twist and turns in the story makes it more interesting and unpredictable to the readers till the end. When u read one chapter today and waiting for the next chapter itself is a thrill. To the writers it would be an awesome experience, because the story in their mind keep changing after eveey chapter was posted.

Wish to be a part of many more ebooks of ISC.

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

I know that I'm only increasing the restrictions Partha, but as I mentioned in my response under pressure we thrived. This photo ebook competition was filled with restrictions and regulations, yet we could overcome the problems easily. My only plea is to stop diversion towards the thrillers. Thrillers are very intriguing and are wonderful to read.
    But not everyone is quite cut out to write a good thriller. Why can't we write a "slice of life",adventure,fable,sci-fi etc. .; stories in the place of thrillers. With our creativity, we can even make those bland genres interesting.

Everyone,
    Please let me know if you like photo-based contests. We can have one which is not based on an e-book concept but can be written freely, with only the words' restriction being given to avoid too-lengthy stories.

Yes. That would be convenient Vandana. I'm for these photo based concept because perception of a picture can be done in different ways. That would give members more opportunities and ideas. The idea is very cool.

I have no comment on photo-based contest. I will try to write a chapter with my limited ability, irrespective of presence or absence of photo. However, I don't like excessive restrictions (like thriller not allwed, ghosts should not enter the scene, no alcohol please, excessive violence not permitted, etc.).

This is my personal opinion.

A photo-based individual contest would be good because, each one's creative mind would build a different story like the use of the TOW word contest (Ride, Home etc which had some thoughtful contributions) and also the so called restriction of picking-up where the previous person has left would not be applicable.

Personally I do not consider my self having creative ability of writing a full story etc. So far I had not participated much in such creative contests. But this time I thought of venturing. This concept of giving a core base and then giving some border limitations helps to keep the narrative within certain bounds avoiding overspill and at the same time belonging to a general circle. The evolving story gets developed along with the conceptual and creative attitude and experience of the chapter writer.

I really welcome the 'element' part. It gives a direction and is not a restriction. Wild writing and writing within certain bounds is different.When a comparison has to be made the subject should be common. As such the photo, or key core subject are needed.
    As said an earlier response above, the writers down the line do not know how the story develops until the one above completed his chapter. Then immediately the next writer has to 'adopt and adapt' his chapter to accommodate particular element and also to be within overall core and also to give a lead for the next person to carry on.
    Overall I liked and enjoyed and felt that I also can attempt to participate in such activities. I feel one's conceptual and writing ability increases and expanse by these type of contests. It is an inclusive activity and way of democratising even creativity.
    I wait for more similar ones.

I also feel that this ebook has gone very well and it is good if we can have some more on similar lines based on photos. When multiple writers are writing the story may not go in the way we expect. When I have written my chapter I thought of converting the friendship between Ram Kumar and Kuldeep as a relation and both of them are trying to trace out the remaining six of the seven. That is why I concluded my chapter with Ram Kumar telling his family members that he has invited him for a dinner. Anyhow the story went on well and a good ending to the story.
    drrao
    always confident

Vandana mam, I welcome photo based contests.
    We already had a similar contest with a green cycle photo, which has good outcome as well.

Photo story contest

Wish to see many more stories in different genres in forum section.

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

As rightly pointed out by Dr. Rao each author has their own ideas as to how they want the story to proceed and towards the end of the chapter, they mention some elements related to it. But not necessarily that it gets implemented in successive chapters as each one has their own thinking. I think this is the beauty of this contests. You are a driver for that chapter and then the driver changes. Like in my chapter towards the end I had made an attempt to introduce supernatural elements like spirit/soul and ghost of Mr. Ramkumar residing in his mannequins and Francesca talking to it. But I think it may have got lost. But true, all the chapters were good.

Indeed, an excellent photo based e-book contest to appreciate. I missed to participate owing to my domestic commitments. I enjoyed reading the e-book story started well by Mr. Partha on Mannequins. Such contests should be organized once in a quarter to keep ISC interesting.
    No life without Sun

Vandana, I have a suggestion. I feel it will be good to increase the maximum word limit per chapter to something like 450-500 words. Sometimes it happens that 350 words prove short to make the chapter eventful and connect all the scattered knots in different chapters. By the time we have fully developed the plot, it is found that the word limit has reached and I have to start making cuts here and there.

Sometimes it can make a chapter loose appeal and limit the coverage I am not sure how other ISC members feel about the word limit.

Thanks, everyone for your input. We will keep some gap before the next e-book contest and have a simple story contest the next time.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.