You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

The growth of smaller towns: are we systematic in their development?

Some years ago, we had this growth of the huge mega cities, and this is still growing. For instance, the four metros, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Pune, Hyderabad, Indore and such other cities are also growing.

How about the smaller cities? Coimbatore,Madurai, Mysore, Vijayawada, Tirupathi, Mangalore, Salem, and Hubli in South, and for example, Cuttack and Durgapur in the East, Lucknow and Kanpur in North and so on. Are these towns being developed systematically?

Is there a method in the madness, or is it "natural growth" and then planning? For example, Bangalore and Chennai had already developed, and then the Metro comes along, creating a mess for several years. The work is "still in progress" in both cities. I do not know about Hyderabad.

We should not have such unplanned development of these cities and other such cities. What can be done now? Members may please respond, based on their intimate knowledge about these cities, or other cities as well.
    Because of the lack of proper infrastructure facilities few of the remote areas have been ignored of the developments. This is not the result of ruling of last four years but goes back to the time of Indian independence. Since starting the Indian politics moved around appeasement & got limited to only few of the regions & so the political attitude have been remained biased restricting the growth.

Your concern has been already addressed by the Central government by enlisting 100 smart city projects through which the cities away from main metros would be developed on par. I do agree that under Urban renewal program the existing Metros are taking away the major share of central government schemes, but Modi government has taken the note of undeveloped towns and cities with huge population were either too neglected by the previous governments. So in another five years from now the major towns and cities would be developed on par with the other Metros.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is true. And as expressed by Mohan Smart Cities concept is an answer for this. After Andhra Pradesh bifurcation, the Capital was shifted to Amaravathi and it is very near to Vijayawada. The traffic in Vijayawada increased too much and a small stretch of 2 to 3 Kms is taking about 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs. No bypass. Now to some extent, they have streamlined the traffic but still, a lot of time is wasted in crossing the city. The government should have pre-planning and develop suburbs and see that the development is decentralised so that these traffic problems are not there. The AP chief Minister Babu might have thought about this and the IT hubs might have developed in 2 or 3 cities. But it is not done and AP lost heavily.
    If these smart cities proposed by the central government will provide an answer for this but we have to wait and see how the state governments will cope up with the proposal made by the Central government and see that the major delocalisation will happen.

drrao
    always confident

I feel that the approach/planning of smart city projects could be more logical/reasonable. But, at the same time, a new development plan has been initiated throughout the country, the impact of which will be significant. So, let us sincerely try to implement the smart city projects (instead of initiating fault-finding mission) and learn from the mistake for future improvement of similar/better projects.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

The question here is whether the smaller towns or suburbs are being developed systematically. The answer would be in the negative but I doubt whether we can put the blame squarely on the authorities. I think, if I am not mistaken, Panchkula in Chandigarh is the only town in India which we can claim to have been systematically planned and executed.

Space is a constraint when it comes to planning. With most of the areas that are earmarked for developmental projects being highly or evenly populated, and people holding unoccupied lands showing reluctance to part with the same, it becomes very difficult for the authorities to plan a township with modern facilities. They are forced to follow the demolish and reconstruct mode of planning. All of us blame the governments and related offices for not developing an area but are least bothered about our responsibilities when it comes to contributing in our own way. I have heard people complaining about narrow roads but no one living in that area would volunteer to surrender even a little bit of their land for the purpose.

India is a highly populated country with limited land resources and so we will have to manage and opt for extended townships; the problem here again is the public. When all of us are looking forward to staying at places which has all facilities and amenities closest to us, extended townships are not finding an encouraging approach from the public side. Things are changing now since most of the people are self-reliant as far as mobility is concerned but they are still a bit wary about the distance to be covered to reach their destinations due to various reasons like the time required and also the fuel prices.

So, though not easy, governments will have to look beyond their tenures and must take time and plan and execute developmental activities with due care and caution giving the required attention to possible alternatives.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

For that matter even Pondicherry seems to be panned and well constructed. What I feel that where ever the foreigners ruled the cities and town, the development were good.,
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments