You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Delhi

Why only Umar Khalid?

You pay for their study. I pay for their study. Every tax-payer pays for their study. Why? It is with an expectation that they will study hard, learn many new things, their mind would develop and they will work for the development and well-being of the nation.

But some of them get diverted. They get the grant, enjoy staying in the hostel years after year paying an abysmally low rent, enjoy food at a heavily subsidized rate and indulge in anti-national activities. They disturb the study of others and heckle the administration. Till now administration didn't take action against them.

But after long last, it seems that the University has started taking action against these middle-aged anti-national students. JNU under Mammidala Jagdish Kumar has rusticated Umar Khalid as per the recommendation of the inquiry committee.

But I am a little bit disheartened. What about the other hooligans (I don't want to call them students)? Kanhaiya Kumar has been let off with a fine (sigh!). No mention about others like Anirban Bhattacharya, Shehla Rashid Shora, Aparajitha Raja, Rama Naga? Why no action against them? Why only Umar Khalid?
    While I do welcome the actions of rusticating from the JNU authorities even though a belated one, It cannot do this with the vengeance attitude. Students draw their rights of freedom of speech through their elected bodies in the University which is recognized and most of the students union are backed by the political parties. And if Kanaiah ,Anirban Bhattacharya, Shehla Rashid Shora, Aparajitha Raja, Rama Naga were let off with fine or warning, the JNU authorities must have feared about further escalation of voilence between student unions and hence given one sample punishment to Umar Khalid which would serve as the warning to other students. By the way education systems are designed to help the students to carry the path of their life progress and if JNU takes actions on all the students and their life would be spoiled and that brings bad repute to the University only. So wait and watch approach is better.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: Fine have been imposed only on this Kanhaiya. There is no mention of the others. Why is this so?
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

May be University want to reserve its decision pending reactions from the students. Meanwhile Congress must disown these people to pave way for good action from the University.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: If your view is true, then it means that the University administration is still afraid of these so-called student leaders. Is it so? I feel all these disturbing elements (maximum 10-12 in number) should have been kicked out at one go.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

I also feel why not on others? There are many such people who will be staying in the hostels free of cost and unnecessarily creating unwanted problems in the university campus which will spoil the people who really want to study hard and settle in their life early. I heard that the husband will be in the Boys hostel and the wife will be in the girls' hostel. The funds are getting wasted. The real people who are responsible for such type of activities in the University campuses should be punished as deemed fit. Action on these people will send a signal to others that there is a possibility of getting punished if we involve ourselves in unworthy problems.
    drrao
    always confident

If we look at the root of the problem then some answers would come.

We all know about how in the name of freedom, right for education and justice how sections of students and politicians misuse the infrastructure that was initially designed purely to help students study and have a better student life as a day scholar or a hostelite.

The happenings in such universities have much more behind what meets the eye.We need authorities and law enforcement agencies who draw a line between simple protests and protests using anti-national sentiments. Once this line is crossed then there should a stern action in place so that in future students would protest boldly but remember not to be anti-nationalistic.

• Sign In to post your comments