Science vs psuedo-science. Belief being justified.Pseudo means false. False science is no science at all. I thought I took my time today and separated pseudo sciences from sciences. There is a website called Speaking Tree that I absolutely hate because of how it shows heavily fabricated unverified news. It tries too hard to throw some scientific light on Indian traditions. Some of these below justifications were given by Speaking Tree.
1. Married women wear silver toe-rings because silver being a good conductor transports negative energy to ground. There is an important nerve that goes from the second toe finger to uterus. The toe-ring keeps the blood flow to womb healthy.
2. Applying tilak of vermillion helps us retain energy.
3. Ear piercing helps in speech restraint. It helps ear channels be free of disorders.
4. Indian women wear bangles to revert the electrical energy passing from skin back to their body.
There are many such ridiculous reasoning posted there and these pseudo sciences have only grown stronger over days with a huge following. Now here are my answers to why these are pseudo sciences.
1. I needn't even tell you why I found this ridiculous. Conduction needs contact. A permanent contact. And a coil through which electricity passes, conducts magnetic field. This was a clear rubbish Speaking Tree because skin in itself is a terrible conductor. There is absolutely no way to even ground these imaginary "negative forces" in the first place. And then comes the Planar nerve path. Medical experts do believe that stimulating Platnar nerve causes active blood flow in uterus but that is not possible with toe rings. The nerve is branched. Why not put the ring in other toe finger then? I am no medical expert so please help me out if I'm wrong.
2. Well..energy can't be retained in you unless you are a capacitor. Kumkum is made of turmeric and slaked lime. So the least I could say about Kunkum is that it is an anti-microbial powder. I see no other scientific benefit.
3. I have my ears pierced and I suffer from periodic swelling in ears. Ear piercing benefits are not recognized by scientists and it has nothing to do with speech.
4. This is the cringiest one of them all. Why? Once again, skin is a terrible conductor. We are 70% water and filled with salt. So no wonder a human body allows electricity to pass through it. But when we are talking about skin alone, then no. And we must remember the weak electrical synapses we generate aren't even worth recovering. At any given time the net electric energy escaped is zero. Our nerves work with electricity you could say. But on other hand we lose 100 watts minimum as heat. This heat though will be captured by those metal bangles and will leaves marks on your skin,where bacteria thrives in sweaty goodness and heat. There is not a one in million ways where few bangles can revert back the energy you lost.
You are free to believe what you want though. I thought why these justifications were foolish and gave my opinions. You are free to counter me and show me how these practices are beneficial scientifically.