You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

Now the reactions have started with legal steps

Last week, a great Congress leader from Kerala (who is the cynosure of eyes of liberals) made a comment to the effect that if Mr. Modi wins the Lok Sabha election in 2019, India would become a Hindu Pakistan. The liberals were so elated! Congress openly supported the statement of Shashi Tharoor. It is further alleged that the Congress Vice-President has also commented that "Congress is a Muslim Party" in a meeting with ''Muslim Intellectuals''.

The deputy grand mufti of Jammu and Kashmir Nasir­-ul-Islam wants to establish a separate country for Indian Muslims in case Shariat Court is not established in every district of the country. Former Vice-President Hamid Ansari and many liberals supported the demand of Shariat Court. Although this demand of Sharia Court is to prevent Muslim women going to the Court in talaq cases, the liberals support it in the name of lessening the burden of the Court.

The people of the country are deeply hurt. They perfectly understand the game-plan. So, the reactions have started. Two separate criminal cases have been filed against Shashi Tharoor and Nasir-ul-Islam in the High Court of Calcutta by a city lawyer. The Hon'ble High Court has directed both Tharoor and Islam to appear before the Court (separately) in these two cases.
    Supreme Court has in its ruling said that Shariat courts are legal since these rulings are not binding and do not deal with criminal laws.

Many who are opposing just it are showing their hypocrisy since they are fine with Khap panchayats but not with similar Islamic institutions.

My personal opinion is no such religious institution should be allowed in a secular country. These institutions are highly patriarchal and backward thinking. Forced marriages, public beatings, triple talk, unfair divorce settlements for women, restrictions on young girls in terms of their dressing, mobile phone access and the list goes on and on.

"The Supreme Court held on Monday that fatwas issued by Muslim shariat courts (Dar-ul-Qazas) do not have legal sanctity and cannot be enforced if they infringed on the fundamental rights of an individual." (Link: https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/shariat-courts-have-no-legal-sanctity-supreme-court/article11257512.ece1)

But what is the ground situation? How many women/men dare to come to the Civil Courts to file cases against the bizarre fatwas of those courts?

Now the insinuation. "Many who are opposing just it are showing their hypocrisy since they are fine with Khap panchayats but not with similar Islamic institutions."----------Who have supported the khap panchayats? More importantly, who have demanded separate country if khap panchayats are not allowed?

Time has come to make people fully aware of the game-plans of pseudos.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Thank God. Courts are noticing the overtures of Congress when they speak their language according to the situation and basically they are Muslim Party but never done any formidable gesture to the community. I am in Hyderabad and having lots of Muslims as great friends. Either too Congress was having truck with MIM and the relations was cozy. But lately AIMIM has realized the bullying tactics of Congress as after every election they either forget the promise or cite legal hurdles in fulfilling the promise. So Shashi Tharoor may be towing the party age old agenda and this time he was caught unawares by the court.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

What is happening? How there can be a separate court for a community? If that is the case why not separate courts to each religion? Finally, it will become a separate system for each community. I think these should not be encouraged in any case.
    drrao
    always confident

We must watch carefully whether Tharoor and Islam remain present before the High Court of Calcutta. We must also note what they say before the Judges. Do they deny their respective statements or stand by their statements? Let us watch very carefully.

Supreme Court has said that these courts don't have rights to legally enfore their decisions but have not announced these kangaroo courts themselves illegal. They have the right to be there.

The CM of Haryana himself supports the Khap panchayats. And to be honest, no conservative community leader or member ever dis announced such institutions.

What Shashi Tharoor has said, it is not something unique. People who know the importance of freedom and care about human rights have been saying since quite sometime. And if you look a little deeply, this wave of religious extremism is not limited to our country but is spreading everywhere. The majority in most countries are going towards extremist Governments.

Only a few countries with secular Governments are untouched by such fanaticism.

In India, this so-called 'fanaticism' (although I don't agree that majority community in India has become fanatic), if any, is a reaction to minority and secular communalism.

No, it is a reaction to the minority asking for equal rights.

Minorities (particularly two minority communities) are enjoying more rights than the people from the majority community. Why would they seek equal rights?

This is nothing but making a mountain out of a molehill. What did Shashi Tharoor say? Did he just say that India will become Hindu Pakistan if Modi continues to be at the helm of affairs? What was the topic on which he was speaking and in what context did he speak? Just because the Court admitted a petition and issued a notice to Shri Taroor does not in any way indicate that he has committed some crime. What Shashi Tharoor said while addressing a conclave on freedom, was that if freedom of expression is curtailed and dissenting voices are marginalised, India will become another Pakistan; the use of the term Hindu Pakistan was just a rejoinder.

I agree with Ankit about his take on Khap Panchayats. Why are we silent about this system of (in)justice prevalent in many parts of India? The Supreme Court has made it clear that Shariyat Courts (they are called courts but are more or less like the Khap Panchayats) will not have any legal sanction. It would be more of an internal system within the community which one may or may not accept.

Anyone having a different opinion is called a liberal and whatever they say are being taken to the extreme as if only one side has the right to express their opinion.

'He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.'- Elbert Hubbard.

When the view expressed by the other side is harmful, disdainful, half-truth and is nothing but fear-mongering, such view must be exposed.

Shashi Taroor has lost his directions and level headed reactions since he was implicated in the case. He was initially trying to cosy with BJP in the hope of getting some solace from the case. But now that he is sure it is not so, he has started following the dictum 'enemy of my enemy is my friend'. He also follows the tribe of Mani Shankar Iyer.

Congress has now many players who are experts in scoring self goals.

Don't these so-called loyalists understand that they are doing irreparable harm to the prospect of Congress by these remarks or by their activities? Can Tharoor save himself from the case which he is facing in this manner? Subrahmaniyam Swamy is closely monitoring his case, so is Arnab Goswami. Can his friends in media save him from the danger? He is also losing the support of his voters also.

It is a sad state of affairs, that a country like ours can be taken for a ride in the name of religion.

Mr.Sashi Taroor is a seasoned veteran, knowledgeable about politics and religion. He has also recently released his book 'Why I am a Hindu.' Such statements, twists by the media are common in Indian politics. This statement could well be a diversion tactic from his legal issues for which he had an anticipatory bail.

Based on the news reports and threads like this, I personally feel our Judiciary has a tough task of ensuring what India stands for and at the same time treading the fine line between religious tradition and fanatism.

The IPC is for all the people staying in India, applicable to everybody irrespective of religion, caste and creed. All the colonial styled courts be it the Shariyat Cort or Khap Panchayat cannot have any legal sanctity and was established to serve goals of particular communities.

It's election time and these comments and instigation will continue till run up to the grand battle on EVMs. If you cannot unite the people, just divide them - it's much easier. To unite people, an agenda must be there, to which they will come under one umbrella. We cannot expect anything other than this type of insinuations from a party that has no specific agenda other than establishing it's own government at the center.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Thousands of Indian citizens travel in ordinary class in trains. Once Mr Tharoor told he would travel 'cattle class' in solidarity with all the 'Holi Cows'
    Tharoor and Mani Shankar Iyer both together can make India into a Pakistan.

I love chocolates and ice creams!

Some of the politicians have not a sound standing of their own and they do not have anything for the development of the nation as a whole and they are the one who take the easier path of instigating the followers of one religion or other to create unnecessary rift between the communities and in the process reserve some votes for themselves to win the election.

This is simply a method to attain mileage from the blind followers of the religion. A secular system has enough loopholes to give scope for such clever tactics by these ambitious politicians who are always in search of gullible people following their doctrine without raising questions.

Knowledge is power.

I would like to have a response from the author with regard to my response at #642211. Let us not divert facts to suit our interests. Please, clarify if what you brought out in the thread is fair enough. I expect an answer, and a logical one at that, Partha.
    'He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.'- Elbert Hubbard.

1. "Just because the Court admitted a petition and issued a notice to Shri Taroor does not in any way indicate that he has committed some crime. "-------Do the liberals use the same yardstick when they talk about Mr. Modi and Mr. Amit Shah?

2. "...... if freedom of expression is curtailed and dissenting voices are marginalised, India will become another Pakistan; the use of the term Hindu Pakistan was just a rejoinder. "---------Has the voice of dissent been marginalised or is being marginalised? The speech of Shashi Tharoor and the virulent anti-Modi and anti-BJP comments of the Lead Editor on various occasions in this platform (just an example) prove otherwise. How many people have been arrested so far for making anti-Modi and anti-BJP comments? What was the condition of India in 1975-76 for example? Is Hindu Pakistan just a rejoinder? It is nothing but fear-mongering.

3. Hasn't Shashi Tharoor reiterated his controversial statement more than once, subsequently? He stressed that under Modi, Indi would become a Hindu Pakistan. And he said it repeatedly.

#642331, kindly explain what Mr Tharoor meant by 'Hindu Pakistan'. And leave alone my affiliations; I never call a dog a cat for the sake of it.

1. The first para of my previous response has been conveniently side-tracked.

2. "kindly explain what Mr. Tharoor meant by 'Hindu Pakistan'."------Isn't it the duty of Mr. Shashi Tharoor to explain what he meant by the phrase? Cattle-class people like me can only interpret. I interpret this as fear-mongering so that one or two communities can create problem all over the country and vote for Congress.

3. "I never call a dog a cat for the sake of it."------------But some people compare efficient leaders having a clear vision with dogs and cats.

Oh! I also forgot to re-ask my previous question. How many people have been punished so far for anti-BJP or anti-Modi comments/campaigns?

My query is still unanswered. Leave it! You don't seem to have an answer.
    And why should people be punished for anti-BJP or anti-Modi takes? Are they above the law of the land?

1. In Pakistan, people are punished in various ways for anti-Government activities. In India, that has not happened during the present Government (although it happened in 1975-76). So, India has not become Pakistan. In the future also it won't be if the present ruling party comes to power.

2. I have already answered the query. I am again quoting the answer given earlier: "...."kindly explain what Mr. Tharoor meant by 'Hindu Pakistan'."------Isn't it the duty of Mr. Shashi Tharoor to explain what he meant by the phrase? Cattle-class people like me can only interpret. I interpret this as fear-mongering so that one or two communities can create problem all over the country and vote for Congress." (The question and answer have been copied as it is from my previous response)

#642424, you got it. I need not explain more. Leave it Pathta, you can't prove what you said. If not otherwise, do it our way because I am convinced .. %100.

In our Maths. Honours class, our Professor who used to teach Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra, etc., always followed the books of Shanti Narayan. If any student used to write the answers from any other book from any other author (Ramkrishna Ghosh, etc.), he did not get convinced and used to deduct marks. Only those students who wrote the proof from Shanti Narayan, used to get good marks.

The previous response brings back the old memory. I am giving the proof from the book of RK Ghosh. The Editor is following Shanti Narayan. He will not be convinced. Period.

(By the way, my name is Partha.)

• Sign In to post your comments