You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How would you behave?

Here is a simple question – how would you behave in the company of fools? Would you behave as foolishly as them, or be your normal self and show them how wise you are?

The reason I ask this question is as simple as the question itself. In my opinion, fools do not recognise wisdom. So, based on that I have come to the assumption that it is imprudent to show them that the wise side of you.

Do you think it is better to play along with them, so you can mingle and be accepted or stand out, and stand to be abhorred?
    Be a Roman while in Rome; Be an Indian while in India; Be an ISCian in the company of ISCian; Be a fool in the company of fools. Never ever try to be wise in the company of fools. You will be fooled to forget that you are wise.
    No life without Sun

Exactly as Sun said. Blending is the best way to avoid quarrels anyways. But the best course of action would be being neutral and silent, else we too will be dragged into the torrents of foolishness. We can definitely try to educate them but it is not that easy. A fact is what a majority assumes to be right. So if you are among fools, your factual arguments are worthless. But by staying silent you can emphasise the difference between the ones you call fools and yourself. Now any kind of emphasis is attractive. So fools will be drawn towards you and you can at that point explain your views. If they understand you're quite lucky and convincing.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

I do not want to be the lucky one, especially not in trying to convince them. Fools can never be convinced that is the hard truth that experience has taught me. So, ya, playing along seems to be the right choice.
    "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

Hope you are fully convinced. From now on, you will play along the fools. Why only you? All wise ISCians will play along the fools.

Since there is no room for further discussion, you may request the wise editors to lock this thread wisely.

No life without Sun

No Sun, when I have decided to move in the company of fools I will not make any wise decisions. Let the thread die a natural death unless of course, someone wants to kill it. And, I would also like to know the opinion of others.
    "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

As you wish.
    No life without Sun

In school in Hindi classes I remember having learned some 'Dohe". Not able to recollect whether it was Kabirdas, Rahim or another.
    Not able to recollect the exact verses. But the meaning is still vivid in memory.

It said that in the Durbar when the crows make the cacophony, the 'koyals' (Cuckoos) simply keep silent. But the Crows then beat their chest saying that they have defeated the Koyals in singing.

In certain situations I also emulate the Cuckoos in the Dohe.

There is a lot of counsel in the Book of Proverbs, with many references to fools and how to relate with that.

Bouncers generally try to humor the drunk fool to ease him out of the bar with less commotion even if takes a bit more time. They are fully capable of tossing the fool out but to ease the problem out is easier in the long run.

If perchance I am stuck with a fool in some situations where there is no option to move out or keep quiet, I would humor the fellow and enjoy some fun at his expense. One has got to make life cheerful in dreary circumstances anyway; it might even make to fool to change some. I have been a fool in some ways and learned wisdom from that. So there is hope for improvement even amongst fools.

Nice presentation Bala. Lot of meaning in that!

When you want to reach the shore, get along the tide and thus proves to be helpful and success. When you are among the supposed to be fools, it is pertinent to follow their tow of line and behave. Otherwise given the wisdom, you would have avoided the so called fools group altogether from the beginning itself. Since the relations is going on, it is better to keep quiet and agree to what they say and when it comes to taking decision, behave with your knowledge and wisdom. By the way they wont be any questions asked when you keep quiet and listen to them and that gives the liver to take actions of your own.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I don't know who is "fool" here or "wise". However in ISC, when talking about himself or herself, everyone is wise here. Other's opinion are often seen as foolish.

How a person claims to be wise? Is it by birth, born as wise? Is it education, through learning? or is it by a certificate issued by another wise? A wise person will never think or talk about fools, and they will never join the company of fools. If they are found in the company of fools, they are not less than a fool. Here, in this thread, most feel themselves as wise and consider others as fools.
    No life without Sun

It's no more better options other than to let's face & enjoy the things. I don't expect myself to behave like a fool if I am surrounded with the fools & so I don't agree with Mr. Sun in this context that if you are in Rome behave like a Roman. It's a good proverb but seems not applicable everywhere like in the case here.

Mr. VPA, It is true that we can be a Roman while in Rome, but not a fool while with the fools. So, a wise will never prefer to be in the company of fools. But a wise can be in the company of fools to enjoy the company of fools. No doubt, all ISCians are wise, and no fools (As learned from this thread).
    No life without Sun

A very interesting albeit a piercing thread raised by the authoress. The situation given is a difficult one as posing wise in that group would lead to danger of becoming laughing stock and joining them will only attract the attention of onlookers thinking that one more of the type has joined the fools paradise.

So one solution which comes to the mind is avoid such company as far as possible though we are not so lucky every time. Even if you want to mix for some time with that particular lot, it requires a lot of patience and control as internally we will not be feeling comfortable in that atmosphere.

Knowledge is power.

I will try to avoid as much as possible to be in the company of fools. I will be away as much as possible. If it is inevitable I will enjoy myself the situation by observing more than talking or behaving.
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments