You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Movies

Do you watch biopics for inspiration or just entertainment ?

We have seen a host of biopics in the past few years. Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Mary Kom, M. S. Dhoni, Neerja, Dangal, The Dirty Picture and Sanju to name a few of the very successful biopics.

I believe there must be a reason why these biopics are made and why are they successful at the box office. There must be some business sense as well in making this category of films.

I watch biopics for the learnings that it can offer me. It gives me an inside view of the struggles and the hard work that goes into a person's life. Though a book is always my first choice, I also enjoy movies as a medium to know more about another person's journey.
    The fact that biopics are also entertaining is an added bonus.
    These biopics are also like any other movies as far as I know. Movies are rarely seen for inspiration but for entertainment only. This is my feeling. But in the case of Biopics, it provides entertainment and also some points regarding the person about whom that picture is created. Those points will be the take away points for some people who will have similar problems in their lives. For example, I have seen a biopic recently which is about Mahanati Savitri in Telugu. This movie will give good points to the people who are just starting their career in the cine field. They will get some DOs and Don'ts when they enter that profession. The upcoming artists will know what are the mistakes committed by that great actress and how they changed her life. So these people can be careful in such situations in their lives so that they need not suffer like the actress. They can also understand what are the traits that made the lady such a great actress and they can follow her in those aspects so that they also will be successful.
    drrao
    always confident

Though biopics are made with the clear intention to show the life style and life works of famous personalities , surely there would be twists and turns with added flavors and also some bit of fighting and comedy. Some people wants to know the other side of a particular character on whom the film has been made, some really wants to know more about the personality and others wants to enjoy the film for over all appreciation. And it all depends on the director and the actor to deliver all, otherwise such bio pics would remain in the shelves and not get popular even after running in many theaters.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

No doubt every film is made with the intention of generating business and the director and producer would make sure all the ingredients of a successful movie are present even in the biopic.

It is exciting because we get a glimpse into the real-life struggles of people we admire as our heroes such as Dhoni, Sachin, and others.

Biopics are entertaining, no doubt, but how can one ascertain that the movie is actually based on facts, that the details are not twisted to make it more entertaining with a business mind-set..

If we look at the reality, most of the people (like Dhoni, Sachin, Sanjay Datt etc) chased their dreams with vigor and earned name, fame & money; a totally personal affair. What is so good about that?

"If you want to make real progress, you must give up all ideas of personal attainment".

I watch biopics for entertainment and learning. I have watched only Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. Earlier, I heard about Milkha Singh, but never seen him. The film gave me an opportunity to know him better with some masala added to it that entertains us.
    No life without Sun

I believe biopics are created to inspire people. Although the purpose of every movie is entertainment, biopics are created with a different aspect, which includes encouragement in the majority and then comes the entertainment part which has a minor role. We all become serious at the times when we watch a biopic, we can relate how that particular celebrity or sportsperson has been through a tough phase of life and how he\she could have been able to cope up with this. This all gives us learning in our lives. Also, it depends from person to person how people watch every movie and with what intentions and thoughts.
    Do what inspires you !!

Ms. Srivastava: Why are you responding to old threads?
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

We did not notice the date of publication. The topic appeared new that we haven't read it earlier. It was Manish Nanda a newbie who pulled up the old thread. Myself and Ms. Pooja Srivastava followed suit.

@ Editors may lock this thread please.

No life without Sun

Most of the movies we go just for entertainment. The inspirational factor will automatically come if it is there or we are ready to absorb that aspect from the film.

So even biopics, we go for entertainment as well as the media hype generated if the main character in the biopic is a celebrity.

Knowledge is power.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.