You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is everyday traffic making us irritable and stressed?

A Bangalore based software engineer rode a horse to office to highlight traffic and pollution issues in the city. An average Mumbaikar must be spending 3 hours on a average traveling to and from office to home . These days even in Thane the traffic is killing .

Living is bigger cities and working in plush offices is a dream for
    many but along with it comes the everyday struggles of travel, traffic and stress from the same .

By the time, we reach office it seems we are already tired and stressed. With more people buying cars , the numbers of vehicles on the road is never going to take a downturn.

Do you travel to work for long hours ? Does it take a toll on you ?
    During my early 40s, I used to travel daily 60 kilometres from my house to the workplace. Of course, I used to travel by car and driver. I purchased a house those days almost in the outskirts of Hyderabad and it was taking one hour from my residence to the workplace which is taking about one hour. Later on, during my early 50s, I was shifted to head office which is about 10 kilometres from my house. But the time taking was about 40 minutes in the same car and the same driver. I used to get strained more in this traffic than in the other travel. This gives us a picture of the position of the traffic in Hyderabad. Now to my present office, I travel 30 Kms and it takes only 40 minutes. Here also I need not cover the main traffic areas. That is why I am able to travel in a shorter time.
    The traffic in cities is increasing and whatever actions that are being taken by the government are not resulting in a reduction of traffic.

drrao
    always confident

The situation is the same in almost all metro cities. I am personally losing more than Rs.12,000/- p.m. opting for Government accommodation leaving my own flat. I am doing this to save three hours per day in commuting. If a person has to drive during the infamous traffic jam of Delhi during morning and evening hours, his stress level shoots up further. And enduring this at least five days per week is terrible torture.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Yes this is the biggest challenge being faced by those who are techies and have their offices away from the cities. Though they travel by hired taxis in air conditioned coaches, the stress and the tiredness can be seen as most of the techies are having a power nap as they reach the destination. If the stress has to be less, then having the home nearby to the office would be ideal, but again it would be costly affair. But taxi charges can be curtailed. Even some one owns the house, better to take rented home near to office and lease their present home so that stress and fatigue may be saved to large extent as the traffic snarls wont stop anytime.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The traffic in most cities is horrible. Among the South Indian cities, Bangalore seems to the worst in terms of mobility of traffic. One can see traffic jams that last a full 25 minutes or more. The crowd patiently waits to go through but the effective man hours lost is very huge.

In Chennai, we have different modes of transport. I really do not know the take taken in other cities, but for instance, a distance of around 30 kilometers by a slow EMU train is 55 minutes. There are AC buses on most routes. For example, if is easy to travel by a EMU train between the Chennai Beach station to a place called Tiruvanmaiyur, alight at this station and then take an AC bus to a huge suburb called Kelambakkam, which is around 12 kilometers from here. There are trains available. once in five minutes during peak hours on the Chennai to Tambaram route, and this is the busiest route on the Southern side.

Yes, during peak hours the traffic is horrible, and one does get very tired. When it rains, the EMU trains are delayed. This adds to the confusion. However, cities like Coimbatore, that are neither so small nor so huge, have a superb network of buses and it is still possible to reach any destination within 30 minutes. WIPRO has a big presence in this city. One also understands that TCS is contemplating a presence here.

I guess the secret is to keep expanding such cities (Cochin, Vizag, Jaipur, Vijayawada, Calicut, Trivandrum and Kanpur, among others) and compulsorily post people in such cities. In this manner, there may be less pressure on huge metros like Mmbai and New Delhi.

I do not think there is any escape from the hazards of city travel. If there are more bridges built, the traffic may be somewhat less.

My work and other commitments take me to the city at least twice a week, if not more. The rush-hour traffic is horrible, vehicles move bumper to bumper, but most cars stick to their lanes. The problem is two-wheelers weaving in and out of traffic, getting into every inch of available space. It makes driving difficult because they cut your vehicle, from both sides, not realising the danger they are putting themselves into. It is a nightmare.

It does not end there, pedestrians waiting at traffic signals eat into the road, creating bottlenecks, as do vehicles, waiting to make a turn. The concept of stopping at the zebra line is missing. As a matter of fact, there are hardly any stop lines at signals.

The plus point is that most signals are manned by traffic police, especially during rush-hour. They regulate the traffic well, avoiding traffic snarls at major signals.

I avoid getting stressed by listening to music.

@ ABSivakumar, the distance between Thiruvanmayur and Kelambakkam is more than double than what you have mentioned, irrespective of the route one takes.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

Am sorry Madam. I made a mistake. I had travelled twelve months ago by car. Forgot the actual distance. Thanks for information. Now there are plenty of buses from Tiruvanmaiyur. But the city goes on expanding so it is becoming a big problem to travel during peak hours by bus. Ola taxis are far better. When the city envelops new areas as per the new Master plan the surrounding areas are also bound to develop.

It's disheartening & make me feel low when leave early so as to reach the office on time but still not manageable because of heavy traffic around. Although this is not the routine delays but due to restrictions on entry into the office, the traffic creates much irritation within our mind. If even a bit delays would result in some deductions in the salary for the current Month. In the meantime, I have covered the quota of two delays for this Month & I still left with more than two weeks to be on time & any additional delays will attract deductions on the salary part which for me are still a big thing & so as a precaution I am leaving earlier than the normal time so as to reduce the risk for further delays because of some unexpected outcome.

Most members feel very unhappy about the metro and big city headaches. However, if the Government is very serious, it should develop the tier 2 and tier 3 cities so that the menace of city travel will be less. Already, people seem to be very happy in Mysore and in Mangalore, where the IT companies have bases. New developments only bring in huge traffic. Perhaps Nodia, am told, is the best example. Those who proceed to this place for employment make it a point to be very near their office. However, travel to New Delhi, according to them, is a nightmare.

Traffic snarls are really a problem in many cities and people who need to travel a long distance for work feel the pain. Given the road condition in many cities, the stress level increases because of the bumpy rides. The number of privately owned vehicles has increased manifold during the past few years, but the width of the roads remained the same. There are places where pedestrians do not follow traffic rules and indiscriminately cross the roads that in turn creates congestion at some important junctions.

In Kolkata, the situation is much complex because of the regular procession/meeting of political parties at few important roads. Here people need to go out much earlier because of the impending snarls here and there and waste some useful time. Long distance travel to workplaces eats up the energy to some extent and the result at times is reflected on the work done by the person if that person is not physically fit.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Traffic is becoming day by day a big challenge for commuters, drivers and people connected to transport business. It is leading to pollution and increasing the stress level in the persons whether they are inside the vehicle or outside in the narrow pavements.

There is no solution on the anvil and commuters are going to have nightmares soon.

There are some jobs which can be carried out from home in online mode. To that extent some relief can be generated. But that is only a small percentage of the total task force in employment.

Knowledge is power.

This discussion shows that the traffic situation is same across all the cities and towns across the country. Most of us have to step out of home in the morning for office compulsorily as we have to punch in on time. Kids have to go to school and so on and so forth. Mornings and evening are peak hours when traffic situation is at its worst.

The construction of metros and monorails in city like Mumbai doesn't seem to have solved the problem. Even these are running choc a bloc.

The exponential increase in population in cities in search for better opportunities is only natural. An organic distribution of jobs by companies and supporting infrastructural development of roads , housing, schooling and other support system in a planned manner will probably ease out the load on existing city systems.

• Sign In to post your comments