You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Oxymoron - a meaningful word containing two contradictory words!

"The clarity in his expression found missing. So everyone clearly misunderstood him. He tried to attract the small crowd with his fully empty promises. But the end result was pretty ugly which became seriously funny. The only choice left for him at this juncture is to quit politics and go back to his movie world."

In the above sentences, we find the words - found missing, clearly misunderstood, small crowd, fully empty, pretty ugly, seriously funny and only choice. These two words are contradictory to each other but brought together. Such phrase is called 'Oxymoron'.

Can you try with some more phrases like this?
    They act naturally. But in this movie it is pretty ugly. He showed his acting skills altogether alone. After seeing the climax there was a loud silence in the theater.
    drrao
    always confident

I didn't know that small crowd could be an oxymoron.
    My favourite oxymoron is pretty ugly.

"Dry ice is made of carbon. And so are diamonds. They come from brilliantly dark caves. A strangely familiar smell swells up in these caves. Hydrogen sulfide. They smell like freshly rotten eggs. I find caves pretty gross hence."

Dry ice, brilliantly dark, strangely familiar, freshly rotten and pretty gross are my contributions.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

He was a single man. He was sitting in the middle centre of the hall.
    No life without Sun

If you describe a phrase as an Oxymoron, you are referring that it is made by joining two contradictory or opposite words which show opposite qualities or ideas and therefore seems impossible.

Here are some examples:

1)Only choice
    I'm left with this only choice to start teaching.
    ( Only and choice are two words with opposite meanings but still used in a sentence to refer the single choice you are left with).

2)Clearly confused
    This oxymoron is a clearly confused phrase.
    (Clear means you have no doubt about anything whereas confused means you are not clear but here the word clear is used to put an emphasises on the confusion of the word oxymoron.

3)Found missing
    The wallet is found missing from my bag yesterday night.
    (Found and missing are opposite in meaning but here they have been used to put an emphasis on the missing of wallet.)

The word oxysmoron is derived from Greek language where the 'oxys' means sharp or keen while 'moron' means foolish.

Many writers use them to make their writings appear as interesting as well have comic effects sometime.

Some other examples are -
    1. Have you got the original copies of these documents?
    2. My friend gave me his unbiased opinion.
    3. Can you give me an example of a true myth?
    4. He is a deeply superficial person.

Knowledge is power.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.