You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Inspiring story of a silver medal winner in the current Asiad

The sports discipline in which she participates is not known to the most. Needless to say that it is not a popular sport. The training facility for this sport is extremely limited.

'Kurash' is a form of wrestling popular in Central Asia, where the objective is to throw the opponent down on their back by grabbing hold of a towel around their waist, but very few people know about this sport in India.

She had been working hard for the Asiad, but earlier this year she lost three of her family members, a cousin brother, her father and her grandfather within three months. She fought through all that emotional trauma. Not only these, she also had to lose weight from 58kg to 52kg very rapidly to be eligible for the Asian Games.

Despite the emotional trauma and lack of training facilities in the country, 19-year-old Pincky Balhara from Neb Sarai, Delhi, has made the country proud winning silver in Jakarta in the 52 kg weight category in 'Kurash'.

Congratulations! Pincky Balhara.
    I convey my congratulations to the 19 year old sports girl Pinky Palhara (Pincky Balhara) from Delhi for winning her silver medal in Kurash (A game I heard for the first time) despite her loss of family members.

@ She is a true sports girl of India.

Update: Name bracketed as said by the author.

No life without Sun

Hearty congratulations to Pinky Palhara for her victory in the Asian games in Jakarta. Even in adverse conditions she made it to Silver medal in Kurash. We should appreciate her efforts in this victory with which she made the country proud.
    drrao
    always confident

Very inspiring real life story of Pinky Palhara who has not given up her determination instead of all odds working against her interest and finally she has achieved the glory and pride for self and country. Such girls must be taken care of by the society and government as the relative wont come near when one after another tragedy takes place and that is the reason being so the sports authority of India must have some provision to look after such sports person who has the liking for playing for the country and yet could not do so for personal reasons and financial constraints.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

With due respect to the spirit and enthusiasm showcased by Pinky, Swapna Barman, Hima Das and the like, I would like to mention that the stories behind most of the athletes and other sportspersons bearing the Indian flag in many international events are more or less the same. Take the case of P. U. Chitra who won a bronze medal in the Women's 1500m in this Asiad. She has been born into a very poor family and faced all odds in her endeavour to make it big in the event. She was rejected by the selection committee for the Commonwealth Games held earlier this year and she proved her mettle in the event disproving their earlier claims. We have any number of examples for the same.

I think it is the hardships they face, as upcoming athletes or sportspersons, that give them the strength to fight against their opponents and come up with flying colours and make us proud to see them bearing the national flag and standing in attention when our national anthem is played.

Many congratulations to Pinky and to all those who have made us proud by bagging medals in this prestigious sporting event!

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

The award-winning girl spells her name as 'Pincky'. Her surname is 'Balhara', a common surname of Jats (a community of Western Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan and adjacent areas of Delhi).
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.