You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why not pardon the suspended members?

It seems some of the members are suspended by the management for the violation of forum guidelines. I hope they are well aware of the violations by now. Somehow, I do not like these suspensions and minus marks. I hope the management will revoke the suspension of all the members who are denied access to this site. Let us have a happy and meaningful association among all the members.
    Honestly, I am happy, not with the suspension, but with how pleasant the forum now appears.

The constant bad-mouthing of people belonging to minority groups was becoming distasteful. The endless criticism of a political class was becoming unpleasant. Some posts and discussions were vile, they spewed venom, cloaked in an artificial veil of decency. The atmosphere was hostile, while views were forced down on members.

We all have our opinions, but to be repetitively be fed with personal sentiments, in the name of discussion was not something that I appreciated. I see the action of the management as giving a new lease to the forum, as it were. It is pleasure to visit the forum, now.

However, I appreciate your gesture of calling upon the management to revoke the suspension. My only hope is that the erring members do not bring back the same discussions, with their return.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

The ISC top brass has taken the decision to punish the erring members in spite of specific guidelines as to follow the rules without fail. And if the members wont listen and assert their own rights , then the suspension was inevitable. And regarding the revoking of the suspension, if you and me request the ISC, the things wont work. The suspended members who realized their mistake must seek revoking Individually through this forum. Then the ISC management would discuss and decide about the revoking pr continuing the suspension. Even Individual members whose posting rights were suspended must to this way.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan,

How does a suspended member "seek revoking individually through this forum"?

Suspension clearly means that they do not have access to the forum. Their posting rights have been taken away, they are restricted from posting on the forum.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

There are two ways of handling the members. One is carrot method, and the other is stick method. ISC had been adopting the carrot method since its inception. Since it was not effective to discipline the members through carrot method, very recently, ISC resorted to stick method to take effective charge of the erring members who cross their limits. This should continue. I welcome it. I too was a victim to get suspended prior to introduction of ZTP. Someone dragged me in to such a situation that I was suspended for a week.

Thank God! The Zero Tolerance Policy(ZTP)was not applied to the members who have been suspended now. Let us presume that they were granted leave by ISC to take rest and meditate for few days for their betterment. Hope to see them back soon.

No life without Sun

The suspended members, if interested, can send an e-mail to Web Master Tony John's personal e-mail ID and request him to revoke their suspension through a mercy petition. I think, the suspension was only for few days. May be a week or so.

To err is Human, to forgive Divine.

Hope, the suspended members will behave well, leaving no room for further suspension in the future.

By the by, who are those few members absent from ISC due to suspension? I know one member, not the other members. It would be nice if we have transparency in suspensions. This will help us know what happened with the members, and other members can learn a lesson and avoid it.

No life without Sun

Some kind thoughts and words from the author. Most of the members (who are regular) have been around for sometime, well versed with the facts of life and are also experienced in their own areas of profession.

At times, we get carried away and cross the line which sours, the entire interactive atmosphere. we may not like certain things or have strong views about some matters but we can only express it within the framework of the place or site (like ISC).

I'm sure the ISC admin team also does not like suspensions etc but it becomes unavoidable in the larger interest of the site, its members and its image/brand value.

We will have the members back and have meaningful discussions and lively exchange of views that is acceptable to ISC and the other members.

Mr.SuN, agree with your views except on naming the suspended members, I feel, the message of sticking to the rules of the site is more important than knowing the names.

Nobody likes suspensions, least of all the admin I am sure. It is simply necessary for the larger interest of the site. On the one hand, I do support pardoning suspended members, feel sad for them and support giving them another chance; on the other hand, frankly, at the same time, I consider it necessary to put a foot down when it comes to the number of second chances given. I feel the Webmasters are forced to take the step when there are repeated violations and especially when the violations are repeated despite both gentle advice and direct warnings.

I do not support the suggestion to name the members. Nobody would like to be shamed in the open forum and it is definitely not the right thing to do.

If I am not mistaken, a suspension indicates a temporary removal of permission from using the site for a few days, weeks or months. Sooner or later the suspended members do get the opportunity to return. I sincerely hope to see the recently suspended members back in action with a new approach that maintains the harmony of the site. And a sincere heartfelt apology goes a long way to establish a good rapport and re-establish the beautiful ties that bind ISCians together.

We all share a journey. Please, let's continue to travel together with camaraderie.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Suspension is generally for a period and after that the member can be reinstated back and that is the usual practice everywhere.

Some times if a member does not come in line and still errs and even uses unacceptable language then the ISC administration is forced to take stern action. That may appear unfortunate but then there is no other way to deal with the problem.

We should also sportingly accept these facts of our journey in ISC. One should also keep in mind that what is our main objective of joining ISC. Is it creative learning and knowledge dissipation or simply fighting with each other on small and insignificant issues. If it is the latter then one should respectfully leave the site before he is being forced out by the management.

Knowledge is power.

Madam Vandana,
    Getting ashamed also a type of punishment who really deserves it. Even in the public, anyone awarded punishment is brought to the notice of the public. I would say that it would help to improve ISC working, and also the individual to work with some sort of fear. It is the ISC court that awards punishment to its erring members.

No life without Sun

Sun,

Getting ashamed and shaming somebody are two different things. From what I understand, the first is a feeling experienced by the wrong-doer and feeling it indicates there is at least some remorse for having done the wrongdoing. Shaming somebody is altogether different - it means one person is humiliating another person. In that sense, I would not approve of this by the admin. to name the members.

Anyway, let's not get into an English tutorial lesson and stick to the core topic of the thread, please.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

A suspension is a measure to bring back the discipline and make the member understand the importance of the discipline in running an Institute or an Organisation. Many people when do mistakes will be warned by the administration so that they will understand their faults and will get corrected. If it is not happening sometimes this type of punishments will be imposed. The suspension will be generally for a period and after that period is over they will resume their duties back.
    When I was there as a factory in charge we used to suspend some of the employees for their unwanted behaviours. Those times the employee's unions used to represent their cases and used to ask for revoking the suspension.
    After seeing this thread I remembered those days and we used to have a point from our side for bargaining with the Union members when they come for a favour like this.
    Anyhow the administration of ISC will consider and do what they can do, in each case.

drrao
    always confident

Like election commission has the code of conduct for the candidates during elections , likewise members participating in forum of this site are bound by rules and that should be followed and if violated, action can be taken and that can be suspension and even termination of the members. But ISC is not that harsh and I hope the webmaster shall decide on the pleas made here and suspension would be revoked. Nevertheless this is a lesson for not only to suspended members but to all so that decency and decorum be maintained for even in this site. Let us wait for the decision.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Here is my take on this. If I were suspended for voicing my views on things that I feel strongly about, then I would treat it as a violation of my freedom of expression. I am not stating this in reference to the suspension under discussion but in general.

In such case I would have two choices; one would be to submit myself and be cowed down by the diktats and accept that I had erred and the other would be to say my 'thankyous and goodbyes' and walk away gracefully, for then my beliefs and ideologies would supersede all else.

In my personal capacity, if my views and something that I stand for are really dear to me, then, I would not return to a place that curtails me – it would be a matter of principle.

Juana,
    You are 100% right. My view is also the same. When I was suspended twice earlier, I too thought of saying my 'Thankyous and goodbyes' and walk away gracefully from the site . But I realised that it was not for my mistakes, but I was trapped and forced to commit a mistake. Since then, I am very careful, and think twice before I raise my voice, especially against women and religion that I love. I would also say that there are members who like other members getting suspended. They enjoy it.

No life without Sun

Everything revolves around with the vested interest of the members & with the ISC. Although, it's true that the ISC remained as a discussion forum with moderate views as an acceptable ways of participation & any highs or lows of this limit will attract the due consideration from the ISC team. We all know that we all are biased to our thoughts to some extent & this naturally reflects on our postings which sometimes exceed the limitations imposed onto the members by the ISC team. I too disagree with the forum proceedings in many of the times but we the members are more liable or bound to follow the agreements to the terms & conditions of the ISC then the ISC Management themselves.

I appreciate the author for his comments & suggestions to this context.

Sun,

I do not think that the admin can be influenced by members. They are running this massive organisation and are smart enough to make wise decisions. The decision to suspend members would be taken after much deliberation and the seriousness of the matter.

Palming off blame for one's behaviour, on somebody else, is not an honourable thing to do. Individuals in control of their faculties cannot be trapped or forced into committing blunders. The words that one 'utters' are reflective of one's inner thoughts. One must take onus for one's actions – circumstances can be controlled, provided one can refrain from being 'trigger happy'! One should weigh one's words and opinions before shooting. It is all under our control. No one can put thoughts into our minds.

As far as I know, you have always maintained that you stand by what you say. Not, in as many words maybe, but that is how I have perceived your responses. If you had an opinion, stick to it; don't start the blame game. It shows that you didn't have an opinion. So, which is it?

Members,
    No further comments from me. Amen.

No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments