You must Sign In to post a response.
Puzzled with the clues to solve the AB Challenge Quiz? Check out where the hint was in each clue!
  • Category: Quiz & Puzzles

The AB Challenge Quiz - the hint in the clue!

It was as challenging to conceptualize the clues for me for the AB Challenge Quiz as it was, surely, to analyze them and guess the answer. The attachment to this thread provides the hints to be looked for in each clue and how it would lead to the answer.

You are all welcome to give your feedback and suggestions.
  • The AB Challenge Quiz - Clue Hints (161301-1-The-AB-Challenge-Quiz-Clue-Hints.doc)
    Congratulations on conducting an excellent quiz. Can imagine the time and effort that has been put into it - very well conceptualised.

I saw the quiz pretty late in the day. And got down to solving it. I attempted 22 answers, failed to get 4, though T-series was on my list of shortlisted answers. Failed to include it, in my haste to mail the answers.

I have a question about #9.

I know that quail is a bird. But, what is the connection between Qualis and quail?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

This was a real brain-teaser. The clues were very well framed. A lot of effort has gone into each of them.

Most answers came to me instantly, but since the clues were not in a chronological order (alphabetically) I had to make sure that I had the right answers.

I struggled with Carbon Copy, but I got it when I shut my eyes for a bit - the image of a carbon paper with Kores printed on it flashed through my mind.

I did not get Edge, Facebook, Qualis and T-series. Though I had got T-series.

The clue provided for Edge is brilliant, so also some of the others, like Uncle Sam, Artillery and Heavenly storage. You used a nice play of words. Well done!

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

Great effort to choose the right clues and the jumbling of the order made it difficult for me.
    the difficult ones for me were.
    No:3 t-series was tricky but got it correct.
    No:9 - there's a bird it in, but it does not soar - I thought of Nestle logo, got it wrong.
    NO:21- browse,find, but don't drop off- the first thing that came to my mind is IPAD, obviously I was wrong.

The clues were very well made. They were not as cryptic as in the usual crosswords in the newspapers but they were sufficiently difficult as many people are not aware of brand names in particular.

Many members might not be familiar with such quiz so there was not a big participation but we can expect more members participating in near future in such contests.

Knowledge is power.

Thanks for the appreciative comments. Input from my side - I must admit I did think later, after the announcement, that #9 was a bit confusing and, perhaps, if I had mentioned it as a road vehicle likely the answer would have been easier to get. Moreover, I had trouble coming up with a brand name for the alphabet Q. I did not want to look up the Net for any of the alphabets and think of something myself. It was only for the alphabet U that I did refer to the Net and two were suggested by my sister.

I omitted to mention in the attached Word doc of the hints - the 'heavenly' reference was to 'God' in the name 'Godrej'.

A few of you gave the answer as Xerox for the clue of carbon copy. Note that I had mentioned that the first 13 answers would be of alphabets Z to N and the next 13 of A to M. Hence, the answer to #19 could not begin with the letter 'X'.

[A note to Aditya: for future quizzes, do not put a question mark after the answer. It is like you are asking the contest organizer "Is this answer right?" or "Perhaps this is the answer". You need to be sure and send the answers accordingly. Also, you missed out on #17 totally. Please avoid sending entries in the rush to be the first. For quite a few contests you have lost out on prizes due to haste, wherein you do not read instructions or are in such a hurry to send that you forget a few answers completely.]

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Like Natarajan, I too thought of Nestle, but I had already guessed Nike correctly, so I eliminated it. I then homed in, to the phrase 'does not soar', in the clue and reckoned that the word was the name of a motorable vehicle. Qualis, crossed my mind, but I omitted it and let it pass because there was no bird in it.

So, you see, I still do not get the connection between the clue and the answer given for #9. Where is the quail in qualis?

As I said, I did think it would be confusing to connect! I just could not think of any other brand or a better clue and could have at least mentioned the word road or vehicle; but then also thought that it would be best not to repeat a similar clue as the one for Jaguar. The letters q, u, a, i, l does appear in the name Qualis, even though not in that order, and hence I had considered that clue.
    When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Alright, I will accept your explanation, though, unlike the other clues, the answer to this one is jumbled and does not really fit into the pattern that was followed.

Excellent contest and I really enjoyed it. It was the best among all the previous such time-bound contests conducted. Vodafone, Ola, Idea, T-Series, Nike, and Parker were the easiest to guess for me. Raymond and Godrej took a little bit time and Canon was the last guess I made before submitting but I don't know how it got typed in the wrong puzzle number.
    Puzzle number 9, 11, 21 and 24 were completely out of my approach. I was not even able to correlate it with any brand.
    Great efforts put by Vandana Ma'am.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

I would like to know from the participants - did you see the alert in the red-pinned thread of the month's contests' schedule? The alert about this quiz was put there on 7th September. So did you see that or is it that you just happened to see the quiz on 9th only? I would like this feedback to know if anybody is really bothering to check that thread of the schedule!

I saw the alert when it was posted. However, since the quiz was scheduled on a Sunday, I couldn't check the actual quiz, until the evening. In fact, I check the thread daily, for further contest announcements.

I have already conceptualized another challenging quiz with clues to interpret, but not related to brands. It would be boring to have the exact same kind of quiz. It will take some time to finalize it, though. So, in the interim, I may have some other kind of simpler puzzle for ISCians to solve and perhaps some creative writing activity as well. My grey cells are often whirring with ideas before I drop off to sleep! I genuinely like the challenge of coming up with new contest ideas but really wish there would be a better response in terms of participation. Would love to see a minimum of 20 entries for the next quiz challenge.

I was thinking of not restricting the next challenge quiz to the alphabet format. That is, not necessarily having each answer of one alphabet, but just having a general challenge based on the theme I have conceptualized for the quiz. So you just guess the answers based on the clue hint, not bothering about the repetition of an alphabet. Why have it as an alphabetical-based one at all? Let's have some variations!

I didn't see the alert, realized the contest on the day of the announcement. Not restricting the first letter by alphabetical limitations is good, there would be an issue of more than one answer sounding correct for the given clue or question. This may lead to queries, so, as long as the participants agree that the final word is that of the quizmaster, this idea would be good, probably even difficult to score.

Though I scored the least, I could guess the products Parker, Microsoft, T Series etc. correctly, but I got confused due to the alphabetical order of the products. I am satisfied with my guess work. I could guess the products that could not be guessed by others. Will be able to score well in future.
    No life without Sun

Did see the alert the first time, but didn't check it again. It was by sheer luck that I got hold of the quiz on the quiz day itself, but at very late hours. Hope, I get hold of the next one too. Variations? All the more good.
    Patience and perseverance pays

Let's rock 'n roll, then, with more entries for the forthcoming new challenge quiz with a very unique theme!

• Sign In to post your comments
    Submit New Thread
    Return to Return to Discussion Forum