You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Problems/Complaints

My article was deleted because someone copied my content

A student at https://www.academia.edu/35383912/Basics_on_Investment copied my content from the Article http://www.indiastudychannel.com/resources/166680-Precautions-to-be-taken-while-trading-in-stock-markets.aspx without acknowledging me. He converted my content into a PDF without giving any date.
    My Article was deleted saying that I copied his content.
    Similar situation has happened with me previously with my other Article http://www.indiastudychannel.com/resources/168260-Pros-and-cons-of-contactless-bank-cards.aspx which got converted into PDF and luckily that guy acknowledged me at the end.
    And this guy did not acknowledge me.
    My Article was written 3 and half years back and this guy's PDF has only 5 views.
    Bhuvan, your concern has been put up to the section editors for checking it out. Please wait for a response.
    “Give instructions only to those people who seek knowledge after they have discovered their ignorance.”-Confucius

So sorry Bhuvan. How come some people stoop to the low level of copying the hard work of others and claims to be their own creation or work. We know you have taken time and energy to create that nice article and unscrupulous elements who are prowl on internet wont even have the courtesy to mention about copying. Nevertheless you being the original author and has every right to claim the copy right. Go to that site, warn that particular student to delete the article or face legal proceedings through India Study Channel.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I have already wrote to that guy to delete the content or acknowledge my article. I have even raised DMCA takedown notice with Amazon.com, which is hosting that website.

Why I am not hearing anything from the concerned editor?
    I have done from my side whatever is needed. But the resource which copied my content still exists in the internet. What could be the next step to be followed?

Bhuvan, you raised this issue just yesterday and the admin is looking into the possibilities. Please be patient.
    Since you have already contacted the individual and filed a DMCA, do let us know the present position and whether your mail has been acknowledged.

“Give instructions only to those people who seek knowledge after they have discovered their ignorance.”-Confucius

Ganesh sir,
    I have not got any reply from that guy or Amazon except an automated mail from Amazon saying that we will kook into the matter.
    I am concerned because it seems to be a perennial problem. If someone copies ISC content and convert it into a PDF document without giving any date or without acknowledging our Article and if someone doesn't remove the content even after complaining about it, how to deal with such a situation? In that situation, will ISC lose its content?

Why I am not hearing about the steps that can taken further in this regard.

Bhuvan, the link you have give takes me to a 7 page PDF article. Has this person used your content to make a bigger article or is the entire 7-page content yours ?(because your article on ISC shows only 30 points)

Mohan sir
    The ISC dashboard has this tool,
    Check Copied Content.
    There is no mention of legal proceedings vis ISC, only the ways to contact google or DCMA and a word of caution about the content originality, before complaining to DCMA

Natarajan,
    He has used my content with slight modifications in the "Precaution after Investment" section of his PDF.

The website "www.academia.edu" is not a University or any other educational institute's website. It is a "social networking website". Anybody, who is a member of the website, can upload the copied content into the website.

Hey Bhuvan,
    Can you tell how old was your article? If it is more than 1 years you may not get revenue sharing from that article. But still you can try to sort out issue from DMCA and ISC.

Rahul,
    My Article was published 3 and half years back. It was deleted when I "Republished" the Article. According to ISC policies, we can republish our Articles every 6 months. After republishing the Article, we will get the Adsense revenue for first 3 months and ISC will get Adsense revenue for the next 3 months.

But, I am not able to understand the ISC policy while republishing the Articles. Do we need to modify our original content while republishing the Article when someone copies our content?

Note: While publishing an Article for the first time, I will check each 4 - 5 consecutive words in Google with double quotes so that the sequence of even 4 - 5 words doesn't appear in Google. So, my copying of other's content is impossible but the editor has mentioned the reason as copied content in my "Deleted Article".

Bhuvan,

I have restored your article. Apologies for the confusion and for the delay in getting back to you.

You may file a DMCA if you found someone else has copied your article.

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

Thank you Tony sir for restoring my Article.
    I have already filed a DMCA complaint but as the Article was deleted previously by ISC, even Amazon.com might not have found a reference for my Article to proceed further. They sent me a mail to re-file the DMCA complaint again. I will do it.

I was following this thread but could not contribute much earlier. Now the problem is solved and it is happy ending.

The copying in online environment is very rampant and there are no harsh punishment for the offenders. The legitimate writers are having difficulty in making their claims of originality.

Knowledge is power.

This thread is being locked now. The author may raise another thread, if required, after filing the DMCA as advised by Tony sir and receiving a response from the other end.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.