You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: IndiaStudyChannel.com

Why a vast difference between Forum superstars?

My dear Fellow ISCian,
    Have you observed this? There is a vast difference between the Forum Superstars. The number one superstar topping the superstar list has 1400+ points, while the fifth and last superstar of Forum has only 300+ points ( As observed at 1950 hrs today). A difference of 1100 points. Yet both are superstars.

Why such vast difference between the Forum Superstar?. Does it mean we have very little superstars to score more than 300 points in a month? Forum could be seen with its busy activities, but no good yields.

Why members, Why?
    In my opinion, Forum section is slowly losing its attraction (due to various reasons well-known to all regular Members). Only die-hard Forum writers are continuing, somewhat mechanically out of habit. This difference as mentioned by you reflects the sorry state of affair in the Forum section.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

The last superstar at 5 being a superstar with 300+ points only, it is evident that other members are scoring at an average below 10 points per day. Really it is a sorry state of affair in the Forum section, as said by Mr. Partha. I too feel that Forum section is losing its attraction due to reasons unknown. Only the die-hard members like Dr. Rao and Mohan are trying to keep the ISC forum alive by responding to each and every thread that appears in the forum.

@Hope the situation will improve.

No life without Sun

The vast difference between the first super star of the forum and other supers stars purely based on their daily performance and consistent contributions. If the first two forum super stars are having high score maintenance means that on any given day they are contributing not less than 50 points per day. And those other super stars who are trailing with less score means they are also maintaining consistency, and yet their daily out put is very less. And one more thing the three other super stars are ahead of other main contributors of the forum and yet they are not able to reach the fifth position. What I feel that first or second position as forum super star is not having relevance nor importance as we are not having any privilege over others. Just for those who visit this site for the first time our name seems to be seen as decorating piece with a star sparkle.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The problem can be answered in another way. The Forum section became very pleasant for some days. The pleasant environment caused a vast difference of points among the contributors of the Forum section. The top contributors continued contributing out of habit, whereas some other Members were discouraged by the pleasantness of the section.

Whatever may be the supposed reasons for the vast difference in points of the superstars, pleasantness is very important in the forum section. It is only the old members that are contributing regularly and mostly the responses are stereotyped and uninteresting. Let the forum section be a pleasant one.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

I am originally from a state which may be called ''the land of thousand rivers''. In this great land of Bengal, I have seen many expert boatmen who are not at all interested to take their boats in the placid water. They always enjoy boating in rivers/sea where tides are very high and the flow of the rivers is fast and furious.

The Forum experts of ISC are like these expert boatmen. They don't like a placid and pleasant Forum section.

For me I do not see any difference. The forum is equally engaging and having new threads popping in now and then. Some new members are doing their favor by raising nice general topics to which one can express their responses right away. But all threads may not enthuse every member as they may not be comfortable with the posts . Coming to the forum members compared with expert boatmen of Bengal, yes we did saw high tides, dangerous tides, but some have tried to row the boat against the tides and were successful and many could not withstand the onslaught of raging tides and they drifted to shore with force.
    K Mohan

The topic has gone a bit off-track with the analogy of a boatman, but would like to take the plunge, too, with my take on it! Even the boatman ultimately has to make peace with himself and with nature's fury, try to maintain a pleasant stability during all storms instead of attempting to conquer at any cost, realizing that personal anger and defiance achieves nothing. Harmonious relationships rather than constant acrimony with grudges is far more pleasant, isn't it? Life is short. One should not waste it on unnecessary unpleasantness.

Regarding the difference in points between forum superstars - is that really relevant? Quality is far more important, surely, and rushing to reply quickly should be put on the back burner. Instead, reading the text of the thread, understanding the topic and putting one's own personal views without simply parroting what somebody else says is far more important. The real superstar is not one with the most points or the least points. It is the one who give better quality perspectives.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Fire in the belly forces a man (or a woman) move forward. Complacency doesn't. If you want to move forward, you have to have the fire.

To become a superstar in any field (including the Forum section of ISC), a person requires zeal and not complacency. Complacency is just like a pond with placid and pleasant water with no tide or flow.

Now it looks like this. A member who posted 5 messages is the 1st superstar, and a member who posted 1 message is the 5th superstar. Really, the vast difference makes us to think something about the Forum superstars. There could be interesting messages in the forum, but the Superstar status is not that interesting.
    No life without Sun

Mr. SuN: You have brilliantly identified the problem. Those who don't agree, are not admitting the bitter truth.

Dear ISC and Members,
    Since the vast difference between the number One and number Five superstar looks awkward, I strongly recommend that the Superstar status should be given only to members who cross 1000 points in a month (last 30 days). Hope ISC will consider my proposal.

No life without Sun

I do agree for going in depth in the matter. By changing the rules of scoring 1000 points and more in a month to qualify for super star status cannot be possible for many reasons. That ISC would be forcing the members to score from all sections. That means when we say work with your own convenience, your forced rule may tend give a thought that one has to work more daily to score to maintain the rank of super stars. By the way except for the mention of the five names, no privilege is attached to the super stars status. Hence there wont be any taker for your suggestion.
    K Mohan

Mohan,
    The members reaching the superstar status should be given some incentive for their contribution to score 1000+ points and being a superstar. This could be a small sum of Rs. 100/- or more (The member should have earned 1000+ points on 30/31 of that month). This will encourage more members to contribute their best, and we can see many Superstars. The revenue earned by ISC will also be more due to the contribution by the Superstars.

What is the use of being a Superstar without any benefit?

No life without Sun

There are plenty of benefits of Superstars -
    1. They are nominated for awards, including the special awards announced once or twice in a year for contributions.
    2. They do win awards which come with cash prizes.
    3. They often inspire others to be Superstars, since other members, too, would wish to feature at the top with a yellow star.
    4. They are highly likely to get the monthly revenue share bonus.
    5. They are highly likely to be eligible for monthly payment.

Above all, there is the sheer joy and pride in being a Superstar.

I would not recommend a minimum number of points to be a Superstar for any section. The present system is just fine. I would advise, again, to focus on quality and not on acquiring points as it is the quality contributions of the superstar as well as that of other members which will make a good impression in deciding on awards and rewards.

I think this discussion can be closed now?

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

An interesting observation by the author in this thread. It is true that there are few regular contributors in this section but sometimes when there is a group discussion or contest, more members respond here.

Everyone can not compete with the topmost contributors. They are highly dedicated in their efforts and devoting that much time also. For the ordinary mortals like us we can only toil 1/2 to 1 hour per day which will get us only 10-20 points.

There are members who are active in other sections also. So their efforts are also divided.

Knowledge is power.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.