You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Festivals doesn't mean that we drink and dance.

Recently during immersion of Ganesh ji an accident nearby my home occurred. It was a large gathering and people were dancing and throwing colors on each other as they were taking Ganeshji's idol to river yamuna to submerge it. Suddenly a speeding vehicle came and hit a boy and dragged him to a distance and he died on the spot.

It was very tragic as the fun and joy turned in sorrow in few minutes. After knowing about this incident I thought in my mind that is it essential that should we celebrate festivals in such style by blocking roads and dancing. We need to think what do you say?
    Nice post from the author. I am also at loss to understand as to why people booze and dance in front of Idols to show their dedication etc. In fact they are degrading themselves and also the community. The main aim of some youth is to gather attention on the road so the onlooker especially the girls would appreciate their gestures. But what happens is the reverse, the over dosage of liquor make them to dance in ugly ways and thus what even little respect they had in the society is lost. At least during immersion of Lord Ganesh they should restraint themselves and be a devotee to the core.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

A good post. It is really in very bad taste that people in the name of some function or event start drinking and then create unnecessary problems.

These people in one pretext or other search for opportunities to drink as if they have no other agenda except it.

There presence itself is threatening to the disciplined people attending the function.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

The thread apparently raises two questions put randomly. First is whether festivities should be allowed to block traffic and second is whether one should be driving recklessly in the midst of a crowd. I am totally against any celebration or protest that would interfere with the free movement of others. Blocking traffic and even pedestrian movement in the name of a festival or a protest is not, according to me, acceptable. And more atrocious would be driving in a rash and negligent manner through such a crowd. In the instance provided by the author, there was a crowd and the bike riders were speeding. Who is to be blamed? I think we are yet to be enlightened about our civic responsibilities. Religious and political fraternities should not be allowed to have their say at the cost of others.

@Sanjeev. I have a small suggestion. Try to bring in more clarity to threads you raise.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

• Sign In to post your comments