You must Sign In to post a response.
The Govt. of India has released a National Registry of Sexual Offenders in order to curb crimes against women. How effective will this registry be? Debate on this topic with fervour and win cash awards.
  • Category: Reward Programs

Active GD: Will a National Registry of Sexual Offenders curb crimes against women?

Last week, the Ministry of Home Affairs has launched the National Registry of Sexual Offenders. To be maintained by the National Crime Records Bureau, this registry will not only have a list of names of convicted sexual offenders. The database will also include their address, photos and personal ID info such as PAN and Aadhaar numbers, along with DNA samples and fingerprints. The aim of the Ministry is to bring down the offences against women and children.

The topic of this active Group Discussion is: will such a registry really act as a deterrent and reduce the number of such offences in India? What are the pros and cons of maintaining this registry?

Best participants will win cash awards.

Note: Those who participate are requested to bring out various aspects of the topic in relevance to India in a concise manner and not go off-track. You can provide brief statistical data but try to keep it relevant to your specific response and not as separate responses with just a list of stats in each. It would also be good not to merely repeat what is brought up by other participants, but to bring forth your own individual views and counter-react others' views. You need not support only the pros or only the cons, but can bring out views for both sides of the coin.

Closing date: 28th September 2018.
    While I welcome the new move by the central government to hoist the details of sexual offenders in the National Registry of sexual offenders, but it is only visible and accessible for the law enforcing agencies. That means there is no transparency as the culprit can escape from the clutches of law if the law enforcing agencies are greased in the palm. Therefore the government may have the grand list of sexual offenders, but that is not useful to those who have gone through the ordeal or seeking justice. Yet another one sided effort made by the government on the issue. Had the list been made to public view, surely there would be zero crime on women according to me.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Setting up a board with highly qualified,discussing etc are waste one unless severe action taken against err and that too the awarded punidhement should implemented. Recent awarded punishments for intolerable crime of such nature are not get effected, then what fear will come in such criminals?

Ramachandran sir it is not a board. But a separate national registry which will have the data base of all the sexual offenders of the past and present so that police can coordinate and take stringent actions.
    K Mohan

This can be very effective. Though we have no actual stats to prove it, but India has more number of repeated sex offenders than newbies. This registry can help us keep check on them. USA has already implemented this or a very similar system.
    But i have a suggestion. This might not seem much practical but what if we could observe the behaviour of every school going boy?
    This certainly seems like a very totalitarian idea and some aspects of such observation cancels the privacy in life.
    Here is a rough idea I have.
    Every school student, of all genders, must be put under a behaviour observation. Observation of how a person from one sex behaves with the opposite sex. This kind of observation should be both active and passive.
    Active, where the student is provided with questionnaires and passive where the students are questioned about their fellow students in private with their school counsellors. This system should continue from school and end at college. Even the smallest shift in behavior is to be reported seriously to the counsellors so appropriate action is implemented. This is a precaution measure.
    I hope my idea makes some sense at some point.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

This compilation is not going to yield any positive results and therefore I would like to say that the National Registry will be a failure. It is not something like the criminal's list maintained in respective police stations/ circles. Keeping in mind the vast area that needs to be covered as also the fact that there would be very few who are habitual offenders in this connection, maintaining a registry will not be of any assistance to the law enforcing bodies.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

I don't think thats going to help. In what ways its going to reduce crimes against women I don't know. In this system they will just keep the record of the criminals thats it. The same thing we maintain in police station in the present system.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

There are few positive aspects of this database. They are:

1. Since it will contain all the details of the offenders and convicts it will be much easier to track their movements while framing criminal charges.

2. A national database like NDSO is a must because offenders fled from a particular state when gets bail and it takes some time to bring the offenders back to face court proceedings. It will be more effective if the database is shared at least with hotel owners, who can verify the credentials of the customers while booking the rooms and alert the local policemen if an offender checks in their hotel.

There are few negative aspects too. Those are:

1. National database is a collection of data from each state and regular updation of the database is a must to make it effective. In many states, the digitized data of criminals are not there so it's effectiveness to solve the purpose is in doubt.

2. There is no clear database to suggest the percentage of repeated sexual offenders in our country so it cannot find a repeated offender.

3. In foreign countries like US, where this type of database is maintained, the study hasn't found any significant reduction, resulting from the use of that database, in number of sexual offences.

I would say, NDSO is only a database and if maintained properly it can be used as a statistics to know the traits of the offenders like their age group, their state, whether a repeated offender, etc but will have no effect to reduce crimes against women and children.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Sankalan please note that only the law enforcing agencies will have the access to all the available information. That means those who are really affected wont know what is happening. Given the corrupt police practice existing across the country, even the genuine information cab be diluted and the offender can be left out scott free for a price. And that is why my contention is that unless and until the NDSO data base made public, real justice to the affected people wont be in sight. Moreover there are people who were offenders earlier, has the habit of changing their looks and life style and probably that can go unnoticed for further investigations.
    K Mohan

Though the purpose behind such a registry is to keep a tag on sexual offenders and to make it easy for the law enforcing bodies to track sexual offenders, I don't think it will, in any way, help in curbing crimes against women. Suppose a woman is sexually assaulted and she gives indications as to who was the predator, the police would be able to check the available data and see whether the details of a person resembling the accused is there in the data. But would that be sufficient to arrive at a conclusion? I don't think.

I agree with Aditya that it would be a better option to make an effort to identify people who are sexually perverted and take measures to treat them medically to avoid crimes against women. A registry to maintain the list of such probable predators can bring in positive results if the government view the same as a social problem rather than trying to relate the same to a criminal mentality. It needs to be noted that there are very rare cases where a person commits a crime against a woman as a part of his character.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

In fact I want the government to go one step further to have the all kinds of offenders enlisted in the details of NDSO so that who ever does the crime can be tracked and punished from verifying details across the country. By limiting the information only to the sexual offenders, the offenders may turn to other areas of crime and thus can go without being noticed by the law enforcing agencies. And coming to those who already arrested on sexual offense, should not be given bail at all. If they are given bail, they may try to tarnish the evidence against them. So the idea of maintaining such registry goes farce.
    K Mohan

It is a good system but will not be that effective as we think. There are many criminals in the jail and their record is available with the jail/police authorities. When they come out on bail or released, no one knows whether he/she is a criminal or not.

What I suggest is - Every police station in the metros, cities, towns and villages where there is a police station, should display the list of sexual offenders, with their large size photo, outside the police station or in a public place where people have access to it. This will create a fear in the minds of the people who intend to commit such crimes, as to not to get into the list of sexual offenders.

No life without Sun

It is a good step in the direction of creating a governance in this area and as we have seen that digital initiatives in many fields are yielding encouraging results so we can hope that similar positive outcomes may be soon visible here also.

Sexual offence is not an ordinary crime. It is a heinous one and to deal with it we must equip ourselves with the latest technology to create a data base and then practically link it to the detecting agencies to nab the culprits.

There are always apprehensions for such initiatives as their practical outcome is seen only at a later time when these are established in the present governing system.

Once there is some success in punishing the guilty using such digital practices, then their efficacy will be known to the society through the social media and newspapers and soon it will get enough popularity and will definitely become a deterrent for the offenders.

I welcome this as a good start in this direction.

Knowledge is power.

Although I think that creating this database is a good step by the central government, I don't think this will reduce these kinds of crimes.
    1. Making a law, a legislative committee, a registry just spreads out the information that there are some measures that "could be taken." But how many actual procedures "are taken" against such offenders is the main issue.
    2. I agree with Sankalan that this database requires regular updates. It would be helpful to bring absconders from other states. But don't you think, a lot of time will be wasted to prepare and update the database. We will prepare a lot of informative papers. But how many women can we save is what I am dubious about. If there should have been a database, then it should also contain the number of victims of each incident and the information of their life now. We must know how are they surviving the trauma. They should get a say in forming the database too. This will actually help our government to help the sufferers and bring justice to them.
    3. This database should be published once or twice in a year in the legal newspapers. Otherwise as Mr. Mohan said, the victim will never know the actual proceedings of the database. This means this database will have no meaning in real world.

Live life Kingsize!

4. It is said that this law is created to ensure women safety. But women safety can never be ensured unless the mindset of these offenders is changed. Can this registry ensure this? I don't think so.
    5. This registry majorly depends upon those information that can be forged, recreated, reissued and lots more. So having the PAN information or Adhaar information is not a big achievement. At any moment this data itself could be hacked and modified. So the PAN information of a criminal can become your own information, who knows.
    6. Umesh is right in a manner that the practicality of these databases can only be seen at a later point of time. My point is that even the impracticality could be seen at a later point of time. By then so much time would have passed, it would seem as if much more could have done at the right time, but right now the time is not right.
    7. This database could definitely identify the offenders and help punish them, no doubt about it. But we are forgetting one little thing. Most of such offenders and criminals are of young age. They are very much tech savvy. They can easily tamper their personal information and ensure wrong information to be entered in the database. They can also use the help of plastic surgery or other medical procedures, to even change their bio metric information in the future.
    8. This information will be mostly obtained from various jails. But what is the authenticity of the information supplied by the jails. How good is the system in determining authenticity. How apt is the system to upgrade any change? This only time will tell.

Live life Kingsize!

I feel making a list of offenders of past is of no use. How it will help in bringing down such acts if a list is made. Only it may be helpful to police in fixing somebody or it may hasten up the enquiry process. What is required is to find the offenders and punishing them. Once police will find the culprit and present him in the court, the court should complete the case quickly and gives an exemplary punishment, the further offences may come down. This process is to be completed quickly before the people for get about the incident.
    Otherwise, there should be a mechanism to understand the behavioural aspects of teenagers and people with some criminal tendency can be treated accordingly, so that they will change their attitude.

drrao
    always confident

If the culprits are not given proper punishment, they will do the same mistake again and again. If we find more such people it will be an indication that our law enforcement and judiciary systems are not working properly. So if the list is bigger and bigger means there is no fear in the people of getting severe punishment.
    Instead of that a list of offenders and punishments given to them should be published and advertised in all leading newspapers with their photos. It may help in reducing such acts by people
    Once a person is identified as a offender he should be punished in such a way that he can't do the same crime again. Then only we can say that our method of punishing the culprits is proper. Otherwise we can say that our system is not effective.so I feel government should work in that direction so that the system will be improved and number of offences will comedown.
    If the government is making such a list, it should be displayed in almost all the places with photographs so that people will know whether any such person is roaming around in that place and they will be careful with such fellows. But keeping the list available only to police is of no use. Like the police keep the pick pocketers details with photos in various points in the cities, the details of criminals who were punished for these offences also should be displayed. It may help in bringing down these crimes to a little extent.

drrao
    always confident

Sun your suggestion holds good and I appreciate too. But the lobby of sexual offenders are so strong that they can go to the extent of convincing the police not to publicize the name for obvious reasons, and even a list was supposed to be displayed, it wont be kept prominently for public viewing in police stations. It is the fact that police stations are maintained by big people and what is happening inside is not known outside. There are cases when police would give suggestion to the offenders as to how to bail out. This is the fact. So the entire police system has to be revived for this purpose.
    K Mohan

Mohan,
    If we have no trust in the police authorities, we should have a separate court to deal with crime against the females, and it should have its own jurisdiction to deal with such cases. There should be no interference from the police authorities. Government can start a weekly newspaper or magazine called "Crime News". And it should display and update the information regarding the criminals with their residential address periodically.

No life without Sun

1. I agree with Mr. Mohan that because of the corrupt practices in the police force, the database can be easily tampered with. Now, with proper use of technology a way may be devised to tackle this. Since all the cases, whether it's of offenders or convicts, are dealt in courts let the courts have the exclusive right to modify the database. For that all courts must be networked with efficient staff to handle this huge task.

2. A point was raised by Ms Joyshree that says for women safety the mindset of the offender has to be changed and expressed doubt whether this database can ensure that. I completely agree to the point and would like to say that this database can have an impact on the mind of the offenders if it is made public. No society can tolerate sexual offenders and if their pictures are published throughout the web then undoubtedly it will affect the mindset of the offenders.

3. A database like NDSO can only keep records of the convicts or offenders of sexual crimes but cannot help in any way to prevent the crime. Its use is limited only to see whether the convict is a repeated sexual offender and to keep a track on the new offenders. While all databases are of statistical use and contain many useful information, this NDSO will help to study the sexual crimes against women and children in a much detailed way and may compel the police authorities to proactively monitor the crime that has already taken place but will not be able to reduce crime against women and children.

Sankalan

Some members are for making the list of sex offenders public. Prisons are there to change the behavior of the accused. We are not supposed to stain the life of the exonerated no matter how worse their deeds were. Because they have been through their trial and they are hoping for a second chance. Instead, a website could be launched, which would display the list of previous sex offenders. And every time a woman is wrong she will log into this website to identify if her assailant was a repeated sex offender. By a website system, a database system as some have pointed out, the identity of these criminals will be safe and they can also be put under watch all the time. Its a win win situation. Walking criminals into society would rise panic. So it's best for everyone to keep the identity of these people a secret. Instead their whole bio could be put up on these government based website where only the assaulted victims can go.

I am of the opinion that prisons in India are maintained by corrupt officers and there also the prisoners can get all the comforts by managing the officers there. We heard the treatment given to Sasikala in jail. Same way in Cherllapalli jail also having similar instances. So I don't accept that the prisons will change the behaviour of people. At the same time if the information goes to all the people, they will be careful. At the same time the culprits will also get ashamed of the incident and they may try to get changed. So I am of the opinion that giving full advertisement about the negativity of these people.
    drrao
    always confident

1. I don't agree with Aditya's view at all. Why not display the pictures of the criminal? It is not for the purpose of staining the life. The idea is to make more commoners aware. Who will guarantee that the database will be of any use to the commoners. The common men and women should know the offenders in their locality and be vigilant of them.
    2. Many times we see that such offenders get bail very easily. Had there been a law to stop the criminals to get such an early bail, then it would have been in the favor of women. What actually happens is that the criminals come out, use their power, money, etc. to bribe officers. This way powerful and rich offenders can easily manipulate the database. Has anybody thought about that?
    3. Such rich people can easily go for plastic surgeries and modify their looks, etc. So what good will be the database then?
    4. We must take the examples of real life incidents and see if databases are of any good. Had databases been of any good, then many criminals, NPA offenders, sex offenders, murderers who have absconded to foreign countries, could be brought easily to India for prosecution. This doesn't happen. Although we have substantial database against them.
    5. I don't agree with Sun that we don't have faith on police authorities, but we do have on government. How is this possible. Policemen are government officials. We have to have trust on them. Otherwise who will take the complaints of the traumatised women. The function of few policemen may be disputable. But it is not possible for top government officials to come down for any kind of crime. If policemen can't really be trusted our country will be doomed.
    6. Instead of creating databases, why not curb the crime at its birth. Give death penalty to these offenders as soon as the crime is proven. This way two purpose will be solved. The victim will get justice. There would be no chance of repeat crime by the offender.

Live life Kingsize!

Rather than maintaining a preconceived notion, I think we need to assess whether the purpose behind the creation of such a registry will be met. Let us take it that the database will be updated and the details of all such perpetrators will be entered into it as and when a crime against women is committed. It may help in identifying people who are habitual offenders. But will it act as a deterrent? I doubt. I doubt because, as I had said earlier, sexual crimes against women are more or less a result of a perverted mentality. I don't think we have proclaimed offenders in this genre.

Moreover, the data will include the details of persons who have been involved in a sexual crime against women irrespective of the gravity of the offense. Along with the names of rapists, you will find the names of those who have made sexist remarks or have behaved in an indecent manner or has made some obscene gestures and so on. It is said that the offenders will be categorized into different sections but how is a question that lacks clarity. The creation of this database has no legal sanction as such and it is not clear as to how this data can be used to identify criminals. The introduction appears to be more of an eyewash rather than a sincere effort to curb such crimes.

Another point that requires some serious thought in this connection is that the effectiveness of punishment, reformation, and rehabilitation as envisaged by law is itself being put to doubt through this initiative.

1. I would like to reinstate that punishment is more effective than anything else. That is why a mother tries to make her children learn or a teacher teaches the students by keeping punishments as one weapon. I would like to ask Saji Sir that how do you think the criminal will repent their offence, by punishment or by the upgradation of database.
    2. I think that this registry is more concentrated on what will happen tomorrow and not on what has happened now. This problem is currently a burning issue. How effective has this registry been to curb this issue currently? I have a huge doubt.
    3. I think to really bring a good effect of this registry, a strong orientation should be done of the officers. It is not true that all officers are bad or all officers want to hide the criminals. But in order to make the officers empathize with the victims of such criminal offenses, their thinking must be changed. To bring that a lot of orientation sessions should be done. Only creating huge databases is never going to help the victims.
    4. I would ask everybody who are with the motion that this registry is actually going to help reduce such crimes, to bring themselves into the shoes of the victims. After that you think, what benefit are you getting out of this.

Live life Kingsize!

If the data - base suggests that the culprit is involved in different sort of punishment, agencies including the police should take stringent steps to book the culprit and must be dragged to the court for the appropriate punishment.
    How the effect of registry will take place in the time ahead is difficult to ascertain. Repeated reward of punishment to the culprits has not yielded results so far. The punishment to be meted out to the offenders having indulged in rapes especially the minor girls and killing the girl need stringent punishment including capital punishment. The punishment has to be given wide publicity so that a clear cut massage goes to the public regarding the outcome of such stringent punishment so as to desist the offenders.

Seeing the massiveness of the problem of tackling sex offenders in our country, people may doubt any such initiatives. But the fact is that if we do not take ambitious steps in this direction, nothing is going to happen.

Unfortunately, our society is still suffering with this evil not only in the backward and interior places but also in the high urban places. The criminals are not afraid of law and order and getting Scot free after executing heinous crimes. So situation is alarming and requires urgent corrective actions.

So the only light seen at the end of tunnel is good Govt initiatives with cooperation from public. The awareness in this regard is already there. Social groups, NGOs and other bodies are for it and only a sincere thrust from Govt and implementing authorities is required.

Knowledge is power.

A person doing the same mistake again and again is an indication that the punishment given to him is not sufficient. He might have been punished more seriously. Mentoring them, tutoring them and keeping them in jail for sometime is of no use.
    I strongly feel that the making amendment the existing law, making the investigation fast and completing the judicial proceedings fast and awarding the maximum punishment only will make the incidents to comedown. Making a list, updating the list and similar actions may not result in positively.

drrao
    always confident

Aditya Mohan,
    #649312.
    I disagree with you. Criminals are not permanent to commit sexual crimes. Every day, a new sex offender would take birth whose name may not be in the registered list of sexual offenders. How will the affected woman identify the criminal? Though there are jails to rehabilitate the offenders, that won't help us in a big way.

No life without Sun

Sun and Joyshree. When a girl is assaulted one of the chief problems is identifying the assailant. Won't a registry be useful then?Ofcourse not all crimes were committed by repeated offenders but some kind of basis would be there for the victim. Moreover what do you think? A newbie would be more eager to commit a crime or a seasoned criminal?
    Victims are mostly children in India according to stats from 2016. Rape is the biggest and largest sexual crime in India but molesting children, harassment, sex trafficking etc are in very high rates. When it comes to crimes like trafficking it is apparent that only a repeated sex offender or a seasoned smuggler can pull that off. Such people would definitely appear in the registry.
    Rape goes unreported 99% of times. But kidnaps and trafficking cases get reported all the time. This makes traffickers a routine target to police and their names are ought to be in the registry. So maintaining a registry is a good option.

1. One thing that most of the authors overlooked here is the offenders who are strong politicians, like M.Ps, MLAs, or ministers. Do you really believe that this registry would contain their information too? Even if it does happen that some honest police officer keeps that record with him, then later on either he will be transferred or pressurized to manipulate the database.
    2. Dr. Rao brought out an important point that the judicial procedure and investigation methods should be expedited. Along with this, I believe that the victims should be counseled properly. They are the ones who can actually help expedite the investigation process. Along with them, any eye witness should also be requested to help the police. In most cases, the eye witnesses don't turn up at the last moment in the court. In 80% cases, the victims are shy to bring the case to the police. If this becomes a regular affair, then the judicial system will remain slow for such offenders.
    3.I think the government , in addition to preparing the database should give moral support to the victims. If they are only busy with preparing and updating the database, then many cases will never see the light of the day. The victims will never be convinced with a mere database. They need proper assurance. Only government officials can give them such assurance. If the victims are not assured that they can come for the court proceedings without any fear of getting harmed, then they will come to the police to report such incidents. This will in turn help the government to prepare a proper and true database.
    4. The control of the database is another questionable issue. If influential politicians get to control and modify the database, then impartiality and truth maybe compromised with. It is better to create a neutral organization who will be in charge of the database. It can be a non government association. Otherwise the people will find the truth of the database hard to believe.

Live life Kingsize!

Joyshree. One of the greatest duties of government is to prevent civil unrest. Imagine you are waiting for your bus in the bay where you see the poster of sexual offenders. The next moment you see this person from that poster standing near you. Won't you panic? Now ofcourse the person had been convicted and even had his trials finished. But to your mind he is still an assailant and you would never want him near you.

Such is the civil unrest. People would make massive rallies against that individual. They would cause a din by his home. We all get a chance to change and maybe that person had now changed. But society would have snatched away his human rights long ago.
    Making this registry public is not a good move. Ofcourse the information won't be available as posters. I used that as an example. Going with modern trend government might release an app or a website that has this information. But that would not be safe. That would not be a clever idea at all. The registry should be available only to the authorised. That way only victims will have an access to the registry.
    That way a lot of civil unrest can be avoided.

I would like to conclude by saying a few more points.
    1. This registry could have a good impact on the society but it would not be a solution to the problems of the actual victims.
    2. This registry should give more priority to the victims. In order to do that, the government should dedicate some organization to take the feedback of the victims.
    3. If such an offender is very rich and he immediately after committing this hideous crime, flies to some foreign country, then this registry will become more or less useless.
    4. To cover few of the loopholes of this registry, the officers who are in charge of preparing and modifying the database should be instructed properly. They should understand why this database is important and what could be the consequences of tampering the data.
    5. Lastly, the database should be prepared in a secured manner. As a person from computer science domain, I am worried about the security issues of the data. In today's world of cyber security, how safe will be the criminal data is a food for thought. The government should work on this area.

Live life Kingsize!

1. The effectiveness of the database is limited to keeping a detailed record of offences only. Since there is no national registry of sexual offenders, if the database is maintained in a proper way, without practicing any corrupt means, then the NCRB may have a tab on the ongoing cases and ask the respective states to speed up the trials of the offenders.

2. The database will have all the identification details of the offenders, but it is not known whether it will contain the punishment details the convicts are serving. If it contains the punishment details of the convicts then it can be found out actually how many of the offenders are convicted and given severe punishments. This may serve as an indication about how effective the respective investigating officers are in dealing with these cases.

I would like to conclude by saying that only a database is not going to bring down the crime rates against women, rather there is an urgent need of police reforms along with stringent punishment for the offenders.

Sankalan

I support the registry system and I have mentioned why above. But I would like to add few suggestions of how this can be made more efficient. As I first proposed, students must be assessed in their schools for their behaviours because children are the chief victim of sexual abuse. And also, this system will be regardless of your financial status. Rich people can't get away from this because every student is undergoing an examination. Their perversion is being checked since a very young age and even the most trivial diversion from the behavior is reported and appropriate counselling is given. The students who behave like delinquents too can be put in the registry in a separate column that can only be accessed by police. The idea is to prevent the crimes.

This is what I believe is the most practical and efficient way to curb sexual violence.
    Supervision and education can only prevent the sexual vices.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.