You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Another significant Supreme Court ruling, but least discussed

During last one month, the Supreme Court under the outgoing CJI Dipak Misra has been delivering one after another significant judgment. Among these significant number of judgments, liberal journalists and intelligentsia have been neglecting another important judgment delivered by the Supreme Court, yesterday. The Supreme Court bench of CJI Dipak Misra and Justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud has refused to interfere in the arrest of five so-called human rights activists (or, urban naxals or active maoists). The Hon'ble Court has also refused to appoint SIT to examine the case. Pune Police have been given a go-ahead with the arrest and investigation. The Bench has opined that the earlier arrests of these people were not merely for dissent.

Only a month ago, these arrests and subsequent house-arrest created a lot of turmoil. The liberals attacked the Governments (both Central and Maharashtra) virulently. But now, they have become silent.

Why isn't this judgment of the Supreme Court being discussed? Who knows!

(Edited to avoid confusion)
    [Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: Please read till the end. Here, I am not discussing the case on the reservation in promotions. I have been discussing the urban naxal case.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Yes the Urban Naxal issue has been proved now and those who have been raising voice against the arrest has been silenced. These so called five people are working against the democratic system and Varavara Rao once said that we should not vote and those who go to exercise the vote must be stopped. So those who are against the democratic process are more dangerous than the naxals and they need to be dealt with severely. And the parties which were supporting them all through the years are also liable to be punished. So this particular judgement is the win situation for the NDA government.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Calling to boycott vote is not a big offence. It is only a form of dissent. Wedging war against the country is a seditious and dangerous activity. Those who wedge war against the country and provoke people against the nation by resorting to false propaganda must be dealt with an iron hand.

I am astonished at the various atrocities of the naxals committed on the poor people whom they state to serve, come to light.

Partha,
    There must be some valid reason for the court to decide not to deal with the case. Who knows what is in the judges mind? After all, Judges too human beings.

@ Response edited and updated

No life without Sun

Mr. SuN: This type of comment may land you in trouble. But why threat? Justice Chandrachud has given dissenting judgment in this case. Is he under threat? Or CJI Misra or Justice Khanwilkar, who gave the majority judgment, are under threat? And, who threated them?

Further, there are many significant judgments during last one month. Have all judgments been given under threat? Who can say?

To an extent, we are being evident of almost everything in our country. For an instance, the absurd language being used for the PM of our nation, the army being defamed & even questioned for their surgical strikes, the supreme jurisdiction of the country has been convicted for being insensitive to the secular forces & so on. Keeping all this into considerations, I don't feel surprised of what's going on with the administration or with the politics. In a language of a layman, few of the political parties are getting so much insecure of their future as well as so much desperate & distracted with the outcome that they just keep the option of opposing any move by the ruling party. Each one of us knows that nothing goes in favor of the opposition party like the Congress party & therefore it's better to ignore such mentalities & let the administration do its jobs.

Partha,
    You have created a fear in my mind. Not to land into trouble, I have altered my text suitably. Hope there won't be any trouble now.

The court is meant to interfere in all cases registered by anyone and everyone. There cannot be any refusal to deal with the cases and pronounce the judgement.

Court is for Case
    Case is for Court
    No case No Court
    No Court No Case

No life without Sun

Mr. SuN: Please don't write anything insulting about the judiciary unless you can prove it to everybody. Your last comment was very insulting to the Judges of the Highest Court.

Partha,
    It is not an insult. It is the fact. In Ms JJ's case, one judge pronounced a jail term of 4 years and Rs. 100 crore as fine, and also punished her associates. After an appeal, another judge has pronounced that Ms JJ is Miss clean and acquitted her. What could be the reason? Again, after an appeal, the highest court has convicted Ms.Jayalalitha and her associates. We can see Sasi counting the bars. Hence, I say that Judges are different, and also the judgement.

@ Dear Partha,
    I think no one else will get me into trouble. It seems you will create trouble for me through your responses.

No life without Sun

This ruling was given by the top court on a particular plea of five eminent persons who were seeking the release of the arrested activists. Most interestingly, Justice Khanwilkar said the petition seeking release of the activists contained some questions about the manner in which the arrests were made but haven't found any specific mention of the alleged mala fide exercise of power by the IOs of this case. From this statement it is clear that the petitioners were also not sure about the alleged interference of higher authorities to implicate those arrested activists.

Let the law take it's own course. There will be dissent among judges in division benches and the five petitioners in this case found vindication in their stand after the dissenting views of Justice Chandrachud. There will be dissent in democracy, so will be in the views expressed by judges, but facts will remain facts and will be known after thorough investigation.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

The liberals have been observing silence in respect of this case with occasional praise to Justice Chandrachud, who has given a dissenting judgment.

Justice Khanwilkar's comment (as mentioned by Mr. Bhattacharya in his previous response) is interesting.

It is really a significant judgement by the highest court of India. Provoking people against the nation is a serious crime and can't be tolerated. When the arrests were made there was a lot of hue and cry by liberals and they have gone against the central government and state governments. But when a ruling comes from the highest court they can't say anything against. So there is no option left to them and unnecessary making hue and cry may make the case more complicated. This may be the reason for this silence.
    drrao
    always confident

I don't understand what we are supposed to celebrate in this case at this juncture. Other than the fact that the Hon'ble Court has not agreed to the allegations and contentions by the petitioners in this case, has the case been finally decided? Then why should we speculate favorable conclusions at this stage? The Supreme Court has refused to interfere with the arrest stating that the petitioners could not produce any evidence to show that the arrests were made to quell the voice of dissent. It also refused to accept the demand for a SIT probe into the case. The Court has ordered the Pune police to go ahead with the investigation and to produce the case diary. So, let the investigation be completed and the case decided. I don't think one needs to react or respond every time to become an active part of this vibrant democracy.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

Discussion, not celebration. The LGBT population percentage is less 0.01% in India. When people can celebrate the judgment concerning 0.01% of the population, then what is the harm in discussing a significant judgment relating to the issue lives of crores of innocent people affected by the maoists' activities? What is the harm in discussing the judgment on people waging war against the nation?

• Sign In to post your comments