You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Foreign Affairs

Sigh! No investment will be made now

A delegation of industrialists and bureaucrats from Kuwait has been visiting Pakistan to discuss the possibility of investment in the country. A member of the delegation lost his purse and he lodged a formal complaint with Pakistani establishment. When the video footage was checked, it was found that the purse was kept in a meeting room of the Ministry of Finance of the Pakistani Government, and a Pakistani bureaucrat stole it.

The bureaucrat has been identified and action has been initiated against him. The name of the bureaucrat is now known to all. Needless to say that the incident has ashamed the neighbouring country.

But the most unfortunate outcome of the incident is that the Kuwait Government has decided to put on hold the investment proposal in Pakistan.

So sorry!
    This incident proves a high level decent Chori. Will this cat drink this milk? Yes. This cat too can drink some milk.
    No life without Sun

What a shamful incident. What happens to the prestige of the country in such cases when the visiting delegation backtracks seeing such cheap actions.

These incidents show the national character of the people of that country.

Knowledge is power.

From this particular incident it is proved again that the government of our neighboring country is expert in spreading misinformation. When it's own bureaucrat can stoop to this level then there is less chance of having faith on the general public of that country and I think that may be one of the reasons for the decision to put on hold the proposal.

After this incident the information minister of Pakistan has briefed the media by saying that 'moral training' of these bureaucrats have been imparted during the previous regimes. I have never heard of this necessary 'moral training'meant for the bureaucrats.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Thats very shameful. This person is responsible for defaming the country at international level. What image these delegates may have carried to kuwait and what people might have been thinking about pakistan when they have told this in their country. This is rediculous. How can people be so greedy and don't think of the consequences. They lost investors by his deed.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

If we consider the terrible financial condition of the country, the act of the Pakistani bureaucrat may be shameful but natural. Last week I came to know that huqmat-e-Pakistan (Government of Pakistan) sold /auctioned two buffaloes in the PM's residence to get Rs. 21 lakh Pakistani rupee. It is hoped that that money would ease the burden on the exchequer to some extent.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Mr Partha,

One Kuwaiti Dinar is 407 Pakistani Rupees
    So, bureaucrat stole the wallet!
    Why the super-fast bowler turned hero PM, Imran Khan not telling that it is the US conspiracy, as the dollar is fast appreciating against Paki rupee?
    One more shocking news from that country is that in the first day of nationwide vaccination drive, one health worker shot dead, many in that country believe that immunization is a western conspiracy!

Don’t remember forgetting to remember anything

The killing of health-worker has been continuing since late nineties, as far as I know.

Imran can say that the R&AW trained the Pakistani bureaucrat to steal the purse to cause problems to Pakistan!

Oh my God, where the Pakistan is heading. A country already branded as terrorist state, rogue country and now a chor country. From the day Imran Khan took over as PM, he is at unease, not able to control his flock and now the strange behavior of his own bureaucrat. Surely he blames India for this cheating attitude too. Shame on Pakistan which lost the face at UN General Assembly where in India's External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has openly criticized the mean behavior of Pakistan in case of terrorism and abetting the terror people. At least now Pakistan should pull the socks, otherwise entire world would boycott them including China. Only yesterday China was backing Hafiz Syed and today this has happened. If China backs the Pakistan for no reason, even that country should be treated abetting and safeguarding terrorist interest against India.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

What a sadistic pleasure derived from the act of dishonesty by an officer of Pakistan? I have no doubt that most of the people would have done the same when no one is around and a wallet is left in a deserted room. Let us not glee about what is happening outside. Let us painfully understand how we are being robbed of our hard earned money day in and day out by all the defaulters of bank loans and fleeing this country. The new one in the list now is IL&FS which defaulted by Rs 91000 crore. Whose money is it anyway? It is the money of the taxpayers like you and me. Let us concentrate on our affairs and try to save ourselves from the looters and robbers of the country.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

I think it is good news for us in too many ways; that the world has been informed that Pakistan's bureaucrats are thieves , that the Kuwaiti delegation has put on hold the plan to invest in that country and that the economy of our neighbor is in such a poor state that the PM of that country had to sell his buffaloes (just two of them) to ease the financial burden.
    What a pity state of affairs? We can be happy because we don't face any kind of such issues. There is an old saying that 'the daughter-in-law must cry, even if it is due to the death of my son'. How true! I think, as a liberal, despite our perpetual hostile relations with Pakistan and their not-at-all acceptable attitude and actions, we need to understand and remember that there are big brothers, on different sides, waiting for the right opportunity to take advantage of the disturbed relations between these neighbors.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

The state of affairs in the neighbouring country does not interest me. And I have not kept myself informed about the facts involved with the cancellation of the investment deal and the failure of talks. I did read about the wallet knicking bureaucrat and the sale of the buffaloes, but have not dug deeper.

Did the investment deal not come through because of the wallet incident? As I mentioned, I have not kept myself abreast with the details. I would think that countries would behave in a more mature manner and not let one man's discretion affect ties. There is always a bigger picture.

Can someone confirm whether the talks ended without an outcome because of that one incident?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

A very bad incident. A government bureaucrat of Pakistan gone to such a low level. It is shame on the part of the government. As mentioned by other members this will be bringing down the respect towards the country and its government in other countries. Whatever may be the cause the investment in that country is put on hold. This is a good news for us and our country.
    drrao
    always confident

Well when we watch that particular news video again and again, the meeting hall was empty and the officer was alone present and spotted the wallet. And he thought it was a God sent chance to steal it. But seldom he was aware that he was under the glare of cc tv cameras and caught instantly. Now here two things has to be discussed, the chance to have some thing got without being solicited, or he should have informed the highest officer for spotting the purse. But he choose to keep with him and that cost the job. His selfish act has downgraded the prestige of that country too much low.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

A very eminent Pakistani journalist has mentioned in his Twitter post that due to the theft, the Kuwaiti delegation has stopped the negotiation and the investment proposals have been put on hold. As a neighbour, we must feel sorry.

I do know that Pakistan was ahead of India in many socio-economic indicators till late seventies. During the late seventies, they received billions and billions of dollars from the USA and Saudi Arabia to deal with the Afghan terrorists, but they siphoned off a huge amount of that money to work against India. After receiving so much aid, their condition has reached this level. On the other hand, although India has also had its own share of corruption, but even then, India is going to become the fourth largest economy of the world in very near future.

Once a very old man told me (at least thirty years ago) that the country was born over millions of dead-body and assault on millions of women. So, the country is bound to suffer this fate.

Are we now trusting the statements coming out on the twitter handle of an eminent Pakistani journalist?

Where or what is the official statement? It is hard to believe that the wallet incident was the reason, for the failed talks and negotiations. Pakistan has been in discussion with Kuwait for lifting the visa ban on its citizens for years now. The country has placed similar bans on other countries as well, namely, Afghanistan, Syria, Iran and Iraq.

I believe that the oil-rich nation just continued with its previous stand.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

Yes, a Pakistani journo can be believed and quoted when what he says supports our contention. It is all a matter of convenience. I think the so-called liberals are too slow in getting a grip on facts.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

It is very difficult to convince people who have decided not to be convinced. So, Partha, don't try it.

I am picky and choosey only about what I eat, where I eat, what I wear and whom I remain friends with. I may be missing a few other things that directly impact me, in my decision making. Other than that I do not see any reason for me, or anyone else for that matter, to be selectively selective about issues.

I go by facts, and honestly believe that when facts are fashioned and embellished to create popular narratives, truth becomes the most horrific lie.

Sometimes, Pakistani journalists speak the truth.
    Mr Nawas Sherief in an interview with the journalist Cyril Almeida, indirectly hinted that Pakistan military and intelligence services had allowed the attackers involved in the Mumbai terror episode in 2008 to go freely.
    That interview was published in the Dawn, the most respected newspaper in Pakistan. Later, arrest warrant issued to the journalist for treason charges.That is the press freedom in Pakistan

Don’t remember forgetting to remember anything

• Sign In to post your comments