You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Uncle uncle, What is a sauce and what is a ketchup?

Dear members,
    A little boy asked me this. "Uncle, what is a Tomato sauce and what is a Tomato ketchup? Both taste the same." I could not answer him correctly. I said, "Wait. Let me ask my ISC friends."

Members, Please throw some light on Tomato sauce and Tomato Ketchup.
    If you are British or speak the Queen's English then you would say Tomato Sauce. If you are from North America and speak American English you would refer to the condiment as Tomato Ketchup.

They are different names for the same thing.

However, if you say just sauce, it could have a different meaning. There are different kinds of sauces -
    Worcestershire sauce
    Barbeque sauce
    Tabasco sauce
    Oyster sauce
    Fish sauce
    Pasta sauce
    Chill sauce and more such

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

A good question. Generally, in Tomato ketchup vinegar and certain spices are added with tomatoes. Ketchup is served cold. On the other hand tomato sauce is made with oil, meat or vegetable stock along with tomatoes. Generally sauce does not contain spices and vinegar and is served hot.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

A sauce is a bit concentrated because it's served hot as Sankalan told. A ketchup is usually diluted a bit. Maybe that is why we get bottled ketchup and packets of sauce.

And as Juana said, Americanization is also a part of it. Ketchup is a Chinese word that means tomato juice. Tomato was introduced to China in 17th century. Actually many eastern countries have a similar sounding word for some kind of juice. Sauce on the other hand is completely a Latin word. By definition it means something that is salted.
    So there you go, summarise all our responses and tell that curious kid.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

The sauce that Sankalan has defined is used as a topping or a gravy. They are prepared in the kitchen – just the way we sauté or prepare our masalas – onions, ginger, garlic, chilli, turmeric, coriander, salt and spices - for our gravies. There is no hard and fast rule of what goes into these sauces. Every dish requires a different set of ingredients. White sauce, for instance, is just flour, butter and milk and seasoning. The ingredients depend on what is being cooked.

Bolognese sauce used in Italian cuisine uses beef, pork rinds and some herbs and tomatoes. You make a sauce with bell peppers and tomatoes and it goes on top of traditional pizza bases.

The question about the sauce and ketchup referred in the post appear to be about the bottled versions that we can buy in the market.

Of course, now different variations of tomato sauce/tomato ketchup are introduced, but traditionally, these two are the same – different regions, different names.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

An interesting thread. I always thought they are the same name of a preparation.

Now it looks there are subtle variations. Sauce is a general term while ketch up is used especially in the context of tomato pulp.

The demarcation in name as per different places is also very inyeresting point.

Knowledge is power.

ketchups are cold in nature and they are always served cold only. They is no practice of serving them hot. But all varieties of sauces are served hot.
    drrao
    always confident

Everyone appears to have so much knowledge about sauces, that it amazes me.

But, gentlemen, you are all wrong. Sauces are also served cold, whoever told you that sauces can only be served hot? Looks like you all have not heard of the following sauces, which are served cold or at room temperature, which to me is serving them cold -

Soy sauce
    Tomato sauce
    Worcestershire sauce
    Pesto sauce (served luke warm)
    Mayo (yes it's a sauce)
    Salsa (yes it is a sauce)
    Hollandaise sauce
    Creme sauce
    Apple sauce
    Chololate sauce
    Custard sauce
    Fruit sauces
    Caramel sauce

Ketchup is served at room temperature, as is bottled tomato sauce. I don't know where you guys are getting your information from!

Members,
    It is good to see many sauces in the responses. My special thanks to Juana for enlighting us with various sauces available to us.

I called that little boy and told him the variety of sauces available to us, and also explained him about the sauce and ketchup.

What he said is - Thanks, Uncle. I will ask my dad and mom to get all the sauces you named.(He noted all the sauces)

No life without Sun

Sun,

A number of these sauces are not available commercially. They are prepared in the kitchen, separately for different dishes. Moreover, you have to develop a taste for these sauces. I love all of them and prepare them often, to add them to the dishes that I cook. But for someone who has never eaten or does not like the taste of continental food, these sauces may not be palatable.

Juana, serving something hot or cold, is a climatic, cultural and individual preference. A simple example would be tea. We drink cold tea or iced tea at summers and a hot one in winters or monsoons. Sauces are mainly characterised by their quantity of moisture and salt. Some of the above mentioned sauces are served hot while others are served cool. Its a preference one again. Sauces are dips in western society for most part and dips are not required to be hot. But in countries such as Vietnam, sauces are often added hot.
    Hot or cold is not a criteria I believe.

Aditya,
    Are you using Google for your responses? I am using years of experience and cooking tips handed down by mum. Can you explain what you mean by sauces being characterised by the quantity of moisture & salt? Both ketchup and sauce (tomato) have excessive salt and moisture.

And you are confusing sauces with ketchup? The question, as per my understanding was about the packaged versions we get. But, a few answers (perhaps googled) went on to describe sauces of different kinds. For most Indians, sauce and ketchup are synonymous. But, if you consider sauces used in world cuisine, then there is a huge variety.

Preference would be a personal thing; but when we describe a thing, we generally stick to how it's traditionally used. Iced tea is starkly different from the normal cuppa. The method of preparation and additives are different. You cannot heat a jug of ice tea nor chill a cup of regular tea. So, there is no comparison.

Coming to traditional sauces, they are also a kind of gravy, used to pour over roast meats and veggies. Such sauces are watery in consistency, unlike dips. In the western world sauces served as an accompaniment to a meal are always served hot and they are runny. They are also served in a special type of crockery called sauceboat.

I just clicked images of the ingredients present in tomato ketchup, tomato sauce and hot and sweet tomato sauce - the key ingredients are the same.

Delete Attachment

Here is an image of a sauceboat, which belonged to my mother. It is almost an antique now. You can see the year it was manufactured printed on the sauceboat's underside. It says 1955. I have been eating sauces, in their varied forms, since my childhood.

Delete Attachment

Haha everyone resorts to Google. I only resorted to know the origin of words. I like history better than anything else. Ketchup has eastern origins. The sauce has western origins. For all, we know they might be exactly the same.

One thing I noticed is that sauce is a key ingredient in cooking while ketchup is there was a garnish purpose.

But fish sauce from Vietnam on other hand is bottled up, is essentially a ketchup by all definitions and understanding. But it's called a sauce. Once again suggesting that ketchup is of eastern origin. The sauce also noticeably seems to have chunks when ketchup is a thorough fluid. I might be wrong at this but to avoid confusion some actually denote it as a hot sauce.
    I have listed the chunky paste like sauces here;
    1. Lamb sauce
    2. Bolognese
    3. Chilli sauce

Here is ketchup on the other hand:
    1. Tomato
    2. Spicy ketchup( tomato and chillis I guess)
    3. Mustard ketchup

Now I haven't personally experienced these awesome sounding sauces because I'm a vegetarian. I'm working with what I've heard and seen on TV so you might be clearly right. I'm just putting what I know on the table. You seem you are very enthusiastic and passionate about cooking. I am passionate about food too to a degree. It's good to learn new things about food everyday.

Now it looks like we are saying the same things in different ways. I guess we're on same page about ketchup and sauce debate.

No, not everybody. I do not use Google to answer queries in the forum or the ask experts sections. I rely on my knowledge, as I did in this thread. The only time I use google is when I carry out research for content for the articles I write.

My observation, based on this thread, is that Google can be grossly misinterpreted, especially, if the user has no prior knowledge on the subject. You can end up giving information that is irrelevant to the topic. Here, the responses described sauces that are used as gravies, but the question I think was about tomato ketchup and tomato sauce. Kissan does both, as does Maggi.

And yes, cooking is a passion. I enjoy cooking various cuisines and am well versed with cooking techniques and terminologies.

Frankly speaking, I don't know the difference between sauce and ketchup. My wife seems to be an expert on this issue, but despite her regular verbal training, I fail to differentiate. So, whenever she asks me to purchase sauce, and the shopkeeper presents a bottle of ketchup, I decline to purchase. I purchase the bottle only when it is clearly mentioned 'sauce' on the label.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Aditya, not because you disagreed with Juana but I feel you should respect her experience rather than Google.

Sun, Juana has made the boy's query clear.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

I ofcourse respect everyone Saji. Read my response once again clearly if you felt like. I wrote clearly I only refer to Google for etymology of words. Name says everything right? So I need to know what is the meaning of a word in its native tongue. You can even see how I actually praised her for her intriguing responses and noticed how passionate she was while talking about food in the last paragraph of my response.
    Does that sound disrespectful? I don't think so. I just told what I knew. I respect Juana the most of all the members to be honest because she is very knowledgeable. I guess this might help clear things up.

• Sign In to post your comments