You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Problems/Complaints

Open letter to the Forum Lead Editor

Dear Forum Lead Editor,

I feel aggrieved, not so much as a woman, but as a member of ISC. You are quick to lock and delete threads that are not in sync with your views or those that are openly controversial. Opinions and voices are muzzled because they hold no water. Forum policies, written and unwritten are quickly applied, sometimes without explanations and at others with unconvincing responses. You have a duty, and I understand that.

However, I feel that you have failed in your duty, by allowing a thread that casts aspersions on every educated, working woman's character. I refer to this thread.

Allegations have been made, without proof, and you have allowed the thread to thrive. What of the policy that prevents opinion-based threads from remaining published?

The thread in question is vile, vicious and downright disgusting. It sullies the character of "educated, career-minded Indian ladies". It suggests that career-minded women can stoop to any level to further their goals. Of course, the thread speaks of 'some' women. But, isn't 'some' a number? It also suggests that those who have found success, have done so through immoral acts and that they have compromised. Why have you allowed this slut-shaming to continue?

This is not a smear campaign against you, but an appeal from the heart, for you to be as judicious when it comes to sensitive topics that involve women, the way you are when it comes to a certain political party. I hope you can apply the same set of rules; if not, then please don't stop members from voicing opinions, on any and every matter.

I hope ISC gets out of its slumber and realises that smearing women's character, in the name of a discussion, is neither acceptable nor ethical. I hope you will act at least now.
    And Juana thats the reason I have not been discussing on that thread. Its shameful people are stretching it for no use. It shows how we think.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

I would say that the Forum editor has not failed in his duty by allowing that thread to thrive. It is a hot topic being discussed in India. While every newspaper column, especially the editorials contain only MeToo letters for the public, there is nothing wrong in discussing the issue at ISC. Members should cooperate in this hot discussion about MeToo campaign. The issue is to be seen from different angles and discussed in detail.

I fully support the Forum LE.

No life without Sun

Aspersions have been cast but I don't intend trying to justify a point by point. The thread in question has been allowed for discussion (allowed for discussion) and I don't think there is anything wrong in that. Let us hear what people have to say- for or against.

We are following the thread and will do the needful if at all the permitted boundary is exceeded.

Leave alone my individual affiliations or interests (since you made a special mention), I am judicious when it comes to the responsibility as an editor here. You may have your arguments and justifications but they need not be right always. Let our vision be broadened!

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

The action of the Lead Editor is correct. Everyone will have their own thoughts and as long as they are within the limits and within the forum rules and regulations, the Editor will allow the post to be live. Here more than the individual's opinions, the duty as an Editor will be taking the front seat.
    drrao
    always confident

Juana,

Don't you think that sometimes we need to hear those voices, to know exactly what kind of mindset these guys have - and to start our own MeToo movement of speaking out against such mindsets? Sometimes deleting such threads can do more harm. Maybe our voices can knock some sense into them, help to create small steps towards changing their perception of women instead of letting such a mindset fester inside them and get passed onto others, including the women in their own families.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Every coin has two sides. Similarly everything has different aspects and we can not generalise them. What the author has mentioned in his thread was not a general thing. May be he indicated to those rare ones who have taken advantage out of these situations and question is how to deal with them.

So these rare and exceptional characters are everywhere and in everything and they are exceptions and departures from the normal people. I think we should not take them so seriously and answer them with our full might. Taking it as allegation will be opening a new fight which was not intended or invited by the writer of the supposedly offensive thread.

Individual opinions can always differ. We have to give our point of view for resolution of the issue.

Knowledge is power.

Thank you all for your responses. I had a very busy day today, am extremely tired. I will post my responses tomorrow.
    "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

Saji,
    You chose to not respond to the 'aspersions cast' – perhaps there were none. My comments were made after weighing everything.

Vandana,
    Well, I definitely don't think so. This is just providing them with a platform to spew all their vile analogies that are based on biases and pure hypothesis. Such voices should be muzzled, otherwise, it provides them with a stage to spread their propaganda. I would like it if sane voices could drill some sense into them (but how many have spoken up?) But, is that even possible? The perceptions against women are so deeply entrenched into the psyche of these men that mere words will not have an effect on them.

Umesh,
    Your opening lines contradict themselves, on more than one count. You side with the author, of the thread, in the discussion, and presume what he meant. Well, let's say that he referred to the 'rare ones'. Who are these 'rare ones'?

I agree that there are always two versions to every story, and also agree that we should not 'generalise them'. In India, the #MeToo campaign was started by one very courageous woman, who by the way had reported the case when it had happened, but no action was taken. She gave up her career and left the country – that was the price she had to pay, for speaking out. Is she the 'rare one'?

Another woman spoke against Alok Nath. A number of other exceptionally gifted and successful women opened up with their stories of sexual misconduct by the man. Are they the 'rare ones'?

A journalist accused MJ Akbar of sexual harassment. The latter filed a case against her. Other women journalist revealed their stories of sexual harassment at the hands of the man. Yesterday, he resigned. News channels speculated whether he was pushed into resigning. Are the women journalist the 'rare ones'?

The #MeToo campaign has just begun. The author's post is a vicious attack on the women who chose to speak out. They are being accused of wrong practices, and you think that it is just an opinion!

Let's learn to sift the chaff from the wheat. Let details of the 'rare and exceptional characters' make news and then we can destroy their character to smithereens. As of now, it is these women who are being called sluts. You may choose not to take offence, that is your prerogative, but I have always stood up for what is right. These women need to be supported, their stories need to be believed. And more importantly, the wolves in sheep's clothing need to be exposed. Be it the real violators or those who stand in the wings hurling unfounded accusations.

I will never shy away from voicing my concerns; I believe in taking a stand. I see no challenge in playing it safe and making politically correct statements. I have more character than that.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

Juana, if you can have an opinion and have your say, why should you feel irritated or rather agitated when someone else comes up with a different opinion? Do not take it for granted that what you feel is always right. Let us have different and diverging views and opinions. You can always register your views. The forum is after all a platform for discussion (rules and regulations do apply).

And regarding aspersions cast, I still don't think I need to answer because I am sure of what I am doing. You are free to have your own views.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

Juana,
    As a lady, you should only support the ladies. But gents too have the privilege to support their own men. However, both the men and women need to put them in a balance and see what weighs more. In the #MeToo issue, while the men have an all round vision, you have only a narrow vision. Adjustment and cooperation to maintain their career is very common in entertainment industry. If everything goes well, the adjustment and cooperation works in silence. If it goes wrong, it becomes an harassment and made public.

@ I do not understand why this is with the entertainers and publishers only, that too now.

No life without Sun

Saji,
    Good question there. But, before I get down to answering it let me have my say on the 'take it for granted' point that you raised. The same applies to you, as well, or does it not? Do you not "take it for granted that what you feel is always right"? Do you allow different and diverging views and opinions or clamp them down? Let's take this post, you have been judgemental about my post, and in doing so, asserting that (taking for granted) that you are right.

Coming down to getting irritated or agitated. That is an accusation you are hurling at me. I raised this thread to share my opinion. You have no way of knowing whether I was irritated or agitated, so please refrain from going there. I mentioned that I felt "aggrieved", as in hurt and pained.

I could have raised the points that I posted here, in the other thread. But, you would have come down and deleted the post, because your rules and regulations apply. On the one hand, you (editorial team) penalise members who raise something different in a thread and advise them to raise new threads linking the thread, and on the other when that is done, you go on a tangent, making mention of my opinion, irritation, agitation, taking things for granted…Please make up your mind(s). Your response is more about me rather than about the point I raised.

And I'd like to update you that what I put down in this post was my opinion. So, if someone else can have their say and their opinion, so can I. If you haven't noticed it yet, it's a vicious circle. Someone else's opinion (in this case the author of the thread I referred to), is not the last word. I can have a diverging opinion too. And I can ask for action to be taken as well. Whether you act on it or not, is up to you. But, inaction on your part does not make you right or me wrong. Everyone acts within their judicious capacity.

In this case, our values don't need to match, but it would have been a disgrace had I remained silent and not voiced my objection, about something that is so unethically incorrect.

Sun,
    This is not about the sexes. It is about what is right and what is not. There are men who are supporting the #MeToo victims.

You may choose to stand by men, over standing by the truth or by what is right. I have no control over how your conscience behaves. But, yes, if there is ever a #MeToo kind of movement here, on ISC, some of your posts, will feature in them. In the past, you have made some shocking comments, with double-meaning sexual innuendos. And I would think that those would qualify as being improper behaviour.

No life without Sun

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.