You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

ISC is not for MeToo

Members,
    Though we discuss lot about the latest #MeToo at ISC, in reality, ISC Admin is not in favour of MeToo campaign. Why I say this, because a thread of mine requesting our ISCians to come out with their past experiences of sexual harassment(if any). The thread was not entertained by ISC, despite my hope that the thread would be active until it becomes old.

When every organisation in India is trying to set up a committee to deal with the sexual harassment cases in their organisation, is it wrong to know whether any of our ISCians were subjected to sexual harassment in their life, through this media.

If there was no response to my thread, ISC would be happy to be a site with no such members. ISC should not have deleted my post. Hope ISC will realise and put back my thread in place.
    Sun,

ISC has removed such threads in the past as well. It is not that we are against #MeToo campaign but it is not appropriate to publicly state such messages in a family-friendly forum like ISC. There are good chances that #MeToo campaign could be abused by various sources and causing serious harm to innocent people as well. We do not have any system in place to verify the authenticity of #MeToo campaigns and hence we have made a conscious decision to stay away from supporting #MeToo campaigns.

Being a very senior member of ISC, I hope you will understand and be with us.

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

I remember I responded to your thread as was harassed in the childhood. I knew that will be removed because mine was also removed with in seconds I posted few days back. Thats okay if editors think in their way.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Now the policy of ISC has been very clearly stated, An Organisation is different
    They have a system to enquire the facts and act accordingly. But ISC is not having any mechanism to enquire and it is not their requirement also.

drrao
    always confident

I was going to post a response to that thread, but before doing that, I found that it (the thread) was deleted. Now, let us totally stop discussing the issue on this platform.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

This is what my response to the thread was to be -

ISC is not the right platform to address the issue of sexual harassment. It would be appropriate for people to publish their stories of woe on ISC, only if the website is equipped to help the victims get justice. Otherwise, the proposed exercise will just be a means to provide cheap thrills to some people.

There is also the fact that people who have come out and spoken about their experiences have done so on their own. There has been no goading from agencies for women to speak about their ordeal. The decision to expose people is a personal choice and cannot be in response to a clarion call, made by a nonentity.

To me, it seems that the gravity of the MeToo movement has not been understood by the author. The post was a mockery of the whole movement. You trivialised the issue, by asking people to post their stories of horror. Who are you to be seeking such forthrightness from members? And how did you propose to help the victim?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

#MeToo movement is a very sensitive topic, asking the victims to come forward with their ordeal in a public forum is too much to ask of them unless they decide to come forward willingly. Otherwise as noted by a few members this exercise would be futile and I do stand by what Mr. Tony has mentioned that it can be used against the victim,

When I read the post by the author before it got deleted I did wonder, would people bring forth their ordeal in this platform given the fact that responses in Forum are not anonymous.

Victims who have come forward with #MeToo movement have not done so under any pressure, they came out on their own to expose their perpetrators.

Juana, and when victim doesn't want any justice from site or the site members?.

Few days back I started a thread about my being harassed by a neighbor in childhood still that thread was removed from site admin stating "
    I have to delete this thread since it is illegal to disclose the name of sexual harassment and child abuse. I request you to report the incident to the legal authorities or consult a legal expert." by Mr Tony.

I am not complaining but I disagree with the reason you mentioned.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Mr. Tony John and Members,
    The purpose of my thread is not to invite members to shame or punish the predators connected with the ISC members through ISC Forum. Every media that is being utilized by the victims to report cannot deal with the cases of sexual harassment. It only provides information as to who is the victim and who was the accused. Judiciary is the authority to deal with the issues. Yet, ISC is also a media and a platform available to members to post such information, if they were subjected to any sexual harassment, and willing to reveal it boldly and courageously with no fear or favour.

I have a different vision and different understanding. I wanted to know only whether any ISCian was affected and wish to reveal the information, and if don't wish to reveal, keep it secret, and ignore my thread. There was no compulsion to respond.

Finally, at the end, if no response is received from our fellow members, we all will be satisfied that none of the ISCians were subjected to any sexual harassment in their life. We can presume that ISCians are free from sexual harassment, and no one was affected in their life.

My thread could have lived as I desired without affecting ISC.

No life without Sun

Sanjeev,
    You are free to disagree with my point of view. You started a thread for reasons best known to you. I can neither comment nor question your choice for sharing a traumatic childhood memory, on this forum. What kind of responses did you expect from members? Sympathy or maybe similar tales or perhaps closure. You surely would have had something on your mind, when you decided to share your story. I would have suggested that you go back to the neighbourhood and track down the offender and confront him. He was clearly a paedophile and needs to be reported, if alive.

But, the thread in reference had called upon members to disclose their experiences. What could the purpose of such disclosures be?

Some people would have shut off the bad memories in a recess of their minds. Do you know that just thinking about them could cause emotional and psychological turmoil? It could make people depressed and create all kind of problems. Is there a guarantee that the discussions would have been handled in a mature manner? We need to know the repercussions, before delving into something as serious as the topic.

Throughout the author been overly critical of women who are engaged in the MeToo movement. His stand was clear – I don't want to get into those sordid details, but active members know well his views on the women. So, did he have a change of heart; I don't think so? What other purposes could there be to start a new discussion?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

I understood your point Juana.

We all are mature here I think so.

I don't think as a mature person we all can't handle it and would have caused any emotional or psychological setback.

I agree on your point that #Metoo thread turned in to something else.

In my case I just shared my story just to aware parents and give a message to all parents not to neglect their kids and if you see any change in behaviour of your kid then you need to talk him/her about it.

Sanjeev

>> Finally, at the end, if no response is received from our fellow members, we all will be satisfied that none of the ISCians were subjected to any sexual harassment in their life. We can presume that ISCians are free from sexual harassment, and no one was affected in their life.

Sun,

Just because no one responded to you, how can you presume that no one was subjected to sexual harassment? That sounds like a wrong conclusion to me. Everyone who is part of the #MeToo campaign too didn't disclose it until now. And there could hundreds or even thousands of people who are still not willing to disclose the unfortunate situation they had gone through.

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

Sanjeev,

I was not talking about your and my maturity alone. There are others too - and if all of us were really mature, we would not have seen some of the vile comments that were made in the threads on the movement.

There is also the fact that some of the victims can be in a vulnerable state. Are we mature enough to handle them or rather are we equipped with the knowledge required to provide them with the support they need? There are different levels of maturity involved.

I agree that parents need to be more aware. But, then we have people raising such inane threads without realising the responsibility of parents towards the safety of their children.

@ Juana,
    No one other than the victim can help themselves by registering a complaint with the police or a lawyer to the court. The media is providing a platform to publish the names of the victim and the accused. The MeToo movement encourages the fearing victims to report their sexual harassment boldly by the now brave ladies who were not brave enough in the past, through the media available to them. For ISCian, ISC is a good media to report, if any. This is what my feeling and understanding about MeToo.

Since MeToo movement is started by someone to address the grievances of women who faced sexual harassment in the past, present and future, I said MeToo will help you. Please remember that I am not making a mockery of MeToo Movement, as you feel and think.

No life without Sun

I disgree with the viewpoint that "I don't think as a mature person we all can't handle it". Mature people commit crimes too, mature people molest too, mature people misuse the social media.
    Sometimes mature people cannot handle at all.
    So I completely agree since there is no way to authenticate the claims of #MeToo incidents, it is better to keep this separate and not evoke anything to make it uncomfortable.

Regards
    Iti Tyagi
    "Soar to Success"

Iti, when one is mature the chance that he can't handle the situation is minimal. Yes they do crime and misuse social media too. I am not taking about to authenticate the claims. I just shared my story. I didn't expect readers to help me or suggest me what to do. It was just a discussion.
    Sanjeev

No life without Sun

No life without Sun

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    No life without Sun

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.