You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

The Amritsar tragedy # Why are we so lost of our mind?

The scenario is that, more than 60 people are dead & many more injured while celebrating Dussehra in Amritsar on 19.10.2018. Many of them lost of their way when they move to the nearest of the railway tracks in order to keep distance from the fire crackers but I still not able to guess about what made them feel safe when they moved to railway tracks with focused completely on the shooting & selfies around them & completely unaware of the incoming tragedy. Although there is going to be some politics & blame games around but do we really feel that moving to the railway tracks was an intelligent decision by the mob but at least & to my point of view that remained the most foolish of the decisions on behalf of the victims which have been heavily paid.

The questions remains about when we will begin to learn the logical ways or we will continue to strive with this?
    Its a very tragic incident. I read the news at night itself when I myself was there in Ramleela ground seeing Ravana effigy burning.

Thats the reason I avoid going to the crowded places specially temples. I have heard of many people dying in stampede.

It happens everytime on dussehra as people get so much involved in seeing things they forget about their safety. Its wrong government should think about the people and their safety.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

It was a very unfortunate incident and definitely makes us think to ponder why we are so casual and careless in our approach.

The public excitement for such functions is tremendous but we are overlooking the dangers lurking on our shoulders. I have witnessed people thronging trees and old multistories buildings when some function is going in the vicinity. We are compromising with all the safety and security and are only focussed to the little entertainment.

The parents and the seniors are also totally ignorant of such dangers and do not tell their children to take care or avoid such gatherings. On one side we are talking of security and safety so much in our schools and society and on the other side we are showing such irresponsibleness.

Knowledge is power.

A very sorrowful and unfortunate event on the day of Vijaya Dasami. It is the fate or destiny to be accounted. I recall the same incident in Kerala's Quilon district when people were watching the fireworks during a temple festival by sitting on the railway track. Unexpectedly they were mowed down by a train. Many died in that incident of the accident.

Moreover, if I am right, why should we burn the effigy of Ravana a learned king of all the Vedas and Sasthras whom Ram respected and directed his brother Lakshmana to take his blessings while Ravana was on his deathbed?

By burning the effigy of a ten-headed person on Dussera day, we had to lose many tens of lives. Ultimately, Ravana was not killed by burning but the innocent supporters of the burning were killed by Ravana in the form of a train.

The organizers must change their mindset on Ravana and stop burning the effigies, calling it Ramleela for entertainment, fun and joy.

No life without Sun

The accident is very painful. The scene was heart-rendering. More than eighty people died. Surely many people have lost their limbs and are grieveously injured. But who is responsible? The police should have stopped the celebration just beside the railway track. The people enjoying the celebration are to be blamed. Nobody else.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

The accident is very tragic and painful to bear such a massive tragedy which has taken the lives of 60 innocent people. But there are few burning questions which need to be answered prior to arriving at final solution. The questions haunting on mind are as follows-
    1) Why there should be congregation of such a large crowd for burning RAVAN effigy in such an unsafe area where railway - tracks have been laid down for transmission of trains.
    2) Why there was no arrangement of security personnels deputed by the state government to avert such an ugly accident?
    3) The area had to be shifted long back considering the happenings of any untoward accident as a result of unmanageable crowd of public in the area where trains are plying.
    4) Why don't we adhere to safety - norms when there is the question of safety of lives of such a large crowd.
    Burning the effigy of Ravan would not end the evils prevailing in our society. We would need to change our mind set - up.

#651148 / Sheo Shankar Jha, what you have come-up with is a secondary thing but in the first place should mob be moving towards the railway track or not?

The show organizers have chosen a wrong place to conduct Ramleela or Ravandagan. I hope this was the first time they have organized this show in that area near the railway tracks.

It is reported that the guy who played the role of Ravana also got killed in this accident as he moved to the track to see the Ravana effigy burning.

It is a lesson to be learned and remembered for the future. No show should be organized near the railway tracks.

No life without Sun

It is learnt that the local counsellor organized this event just beside the railway lines and a Congress Minister attended the event. She left just before the accident. The Ravana saved at least eight persons but could not save himself from the running train.

Its a customary to burn effigy of Ravana on dussehra so we can't stop burning it but we should take some safety measures so that such incidents don't occur in future.

Its not only the failure of the government but people too as we should think of our safety ourself first.

What were they doing on the railway track? Were they not aware that train might come at any time and it can be a serious.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Moving towards railway track to avoid mob is an unsafe act. It is like going into the fire from a pan. How did people think that going onto a railway track is better to keep away from the firecrackers? I fail to understand. Most illogical and casual approach in solving an issue.
    A very bad accident and more than 80 people died and many people injured. The main issue here is the casual approach of the people towards their safety. These days we are observing very unsafe acts by many people. Taking selfies on the edge of a mountain or driving the vehicles without taking the required precautions and making shortcuts to save time. Many places I observed many people walking across the railway track for avoiding long distance walks and to save time. They never think that the act for saving a few minutes may see that you will have no further life. Is our life so cheap? People should think and act wisely. Taking unnecessary risks are never recommended.

drrao
    always confident

#651240 / DR.N.V. Srinivasa Rao, very well explained but do we feel that opting railway tracks is the sheer negligence on behalf of the mob themselves & being unaware of the approaching head light of the train is still carries the biggest surprise for me.

It was not wrong to move to the railway tracks for safety from fireworks. It was the joy of the people who were witnessing the fireworks, and the brightness of the firework, especially the light emanated from the effigy of Ravana and his brothers made the eyes of all blind not to notice the headlight of the approaching engine. Due to heavy rush and push, none thought that they were on the railway tracks, but in Ramleela ground.
    No life without Sun

We definitely require more and more awareness in the public for safety concerns. These type of the incidences are bringing out the fact that the general public awareness for safety is almost nil.

The organisers should also consider the locations for such events based on such crucial things in the vicinity of the venue.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

With this I also want to raise a concern of the motives & the biased attitude of the media & the seculars who got different reactions based on the state & the governing body. Few times back when an over bridge was collapsed in Mumbai leading few dead & many more injured, the media discussed a lot about the inefficiency of the BJP ruled Maharashtra government & that both the Central & the state government were blamed. During the time the Kerala had flood than too we talked a lot about the inefficiency of the Central government but for Amritsar tragedy we are not seeing such a huge cry in any of the platforms. How do you see this in your own ways?

Yes, you are right , they should not have moved towards to the track - region. However, the unfortunate part with us is that safety - norm hardly comes in our mind while engaged in some celebrations. Such a laxity in respect of safety - norm has caused the massive lose.

Ved Prakash Anand,
    How can we compare the Maharashtra bridge collapse and Kerala flood with Punjab's incident. How and why should we blame the government for all the incidents and accidents? The over-bridge collapsed due to someone's mistake and was right to accuse the governments. Kerala flood was due to nature's fury, and the central government was accused for not providing sufficient funds to rehabilitate its affected people. What happened in Punjab is due to the negligence of people who trespassed into an area that belongs to government. No government can be blamed for the stupidity of the victims. I think, the government must have compensated the victims Next of kin for the unfortunate death/injury to their family members.

No life without Sun

This is such an unfortunate event that one cannot be at peace after hearing/reading the stories of survivors and victims family members. It's very heartbreaking to read such news.

Mr. Ved, We cannot politicize this issue, people trespassed the railway tracks and also organizers chose a very wrong spot for the event.

As Mr. Sun said in his response about the calamity that happened in Mumbai, and Kerala, the authorities failed in one or the other way to do their duties despite of many complaints and requests forwarded to them.

#651400 / Neethu & #651391 / SuN, just imagine it this would have taken place in a BJP ruled state, for example in Uttar Pradesh, then whether this would have been with the same concern & publicity as we are finding here which is a Congress party ruled state.

The rule and basis of the judgment of the Indian liberals are different for BJP-ruled states and for non-BJP governed states. This well-known. If this unfortunate incident happened in BJP-ruled states, there would be numerous 'mombatti' (candlelight) procession all over the country.
    The next day of the Amritsar tragedy, there was another incident in West Bengal. Two people died by the running train who were drinking on the railway track. National media did not even bother to report this. There was also a stampede at Santragachhi railway station just beside Kolkata. Another two died. I shudder to think if such event happened in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Goa or Uttarakhand.

Mr. Ved, I don't think that it would have been any different even if it was a BJP ruled state.

Also, Mr. Partha, I do agree that lives lost are not replaceable but I don't think that media would report such cases. Numerous people commit suicide in railway tracks, there are many who meet with an accident on a railway track, but what happened in Amritsar is a very big tragedy in the history of railways as far as I understand, so it's obvious that it would be reported in the media.

So, two accidents causing death of four people (because of their own fault) are not worth reporting. Is there any rule stating that if minimum 'x' number of people die, only then the media would report such incident?

Well, not getting diverted from the subjected thread, we always involved in many humorous & amusing actions but the same is found out to be of importance or of relevance to someone & accordingly the actions are taken & the perceptions are made considering about how far their motives are served.

In whatever ways, I feel sorry for the victims hoping that there life is more important rather busy on selfies. Hope so that at least we got something to learn here & wouldn't behave in a very casual manner as they behaved in the current incidence.

Yes with the every such incidents we learn but the fact is why such incidents happen why we don't consider our safety first and let such incidents happen. I reckon people should indulge where there is a huge gatherings, as such places are always prone to such accidents and we should think of our safety ourself only.
    Sanjeev

It is amusing to note that even disasters and deaths have political faces and angles! The trend of comparing the death of two persons who were drinking on the railway track to the tragedy in Amritsar is something which we need to ponder about.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

We need to ponder over many issues. We must also ponder over the reasons why the organizer of the Amritsar programme and the leader/minister who attended the unauthorized programme, has not been arrested so far.

• Sign In to post your comments