You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why no big or tall statue for our Father of the nation Mr. Gandhi?

Members,
    We all know that a huge tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhai Patel has been erected and will be opened on 31st October this year, in Gujarat the home state of Mr.Patel.

My question is - Is it fair to ignore our Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi who is also from the same Gujarat state without any tallest statue for him?

Why did our government not think about making a statue for Mr.Gandhi before making it for Mr.Patel? Is Mr. Patel greater than Gandhi?

What could be the reason for it?
    Gandhiji is taller than anyone else in stature. There is no need of tall statues for Gandhiji. He is a man known and respected all over the world. Sardar Patel is a strong leader and follower of Gandhiji. He is instrumental in uniting all the princely states of India after independence as the first Home Minister of India. Modiji wants to project himself as a strong leader like Sardar Patel. So all these efforts to appropriate Sardar.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

In every major city of India, there is at least one road which carries the name of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. In every major city, there is an institution/a statue (in many cases, not properly maintained) which carries his name. How many more statues of Gandhi are required?
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

This is part of political ideology of the present rulers, especially that of the PM. Slowly the India's independence struggle will be rewritten and the names such as Gandhiji and Nehruji might vanish from the list of leaders who fought for independence. The future generation might study a different history about our freedom struggle. So this statue is just a pointer towards that.
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

Gandhiji is already very much famous all over the world he doesn't need any recognition where as Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel was a great leader and a freedom fighter but less people know about him so he needs recognition that's why his statue is being made. Also as Partha said there are lots of institutions, roads etc on the name of Gandhiji then what's the need of erecting a statue on his name.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

I agree with Sankaran sir. With due respect to the Iron Man of India, the great Sardar Vallabhai Patel, I would like to say that the installation of this statue has been done with ulterior motives. Right from the time of his arrival on the national scene, there has been an attempt by Sri Modi to project Sardar Patel above the Mahatma. It may be because he wants to prove that he is as strong as this great leader from Gujarat (Patel integrated while disintegration seems to be the idea now). Crores of Indian money has been spent on this idea just to enhance someone's individual pride. Let us leave alone the Mahatma because he does not need a statue to be accepted and remembered by the people of India. History may be rewritten (the process is already on) but facts can never be erased.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

Mahatma Gandhi is a very well known fatherly figure not only to Indians but also to the whole world. By keeping a tall statue of him is not going to add any further honour to him. He is and will be the tallest and greatest freedom fighter forever and no one can remove his name from the freedom fighters list.
    But the Iron Man of India, the great Sardar Vallabhai Patel, is also a man to be remembered by all Indians at least after Gandhi and Nehru. But so far he was not brought into the limelight by the previous governments. His history is not known to many young Indians. I feel the present government is trying to see that his name also will be remembered by all the Indians along with Nehru and Gandhi. I don't see anything wrong in that. Installing a statue of Patel can't be taken as undermining Gandhiji. Everybody will have their own place in history but the governments should not try to change the history to their convenience.

drrao
    always confident

I don't know why the installation of the statue of Sardar Patel is being criticized, of course indirectly. Is there any dearth of statue of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi in India?

Dr Rao, don't you think it is demeaning the great leader when you say that a record-breaking statue worth crores of rupees has to be installed for the people of this country to remember him? It is a known fact that he is the brain behind bringing different princely states under a United India and it was his efforts, though with the support of other prominent leaders, that made the integration of this nation possible and the existing recorded history stand testimony to that fact.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

Though there could be many statues of Mahatma Gandhi in every nook and corner of India, won't it be proud to have his statue as the tallest in our country or world? If to Patel why not to Gandhiji?

I propose a statue one feet taller than Patel in our national capital New Delhi. Hope the next government coming to power will fulfill my desire.

No life without Sun

How many young men and women of India know the exact contribution of Sardar Patel? How many lines in our history books are allocated to tell the sacrifice of this great leader? And I don't even expect anybody to hear the name and know the deeds of Vithalbhai Patel, his elder brother.

Partha, we need not be so perturbed about it because only very few of the younger generation is actually aware of the actual contributions of Gandhiji too. It is this lack of clarity in the knowledge about our struggle for independence and the leaders and men who sacrificed their lives for the same that is being exploited at various levels on different pretexts.

Sun, I don't think there needs to be a competition in this regard. The statue of Sardar Patel has become the tallest not because he would have wanted or liked it but due to other reasons and the stature of the Mahatma would not be diminished, as desired by some, even if his statues are shorter.

Even after dedicating thousands and thousands of pages in history books about Mohandas Gandhi, even after belittling the contribution of all other leaders, even after ignoring the political activities of Mohandas Gandhi during 1939 to 1948, even after spending crores and crores of rupee in so-called 'Gandhi research', even after naming roads after roads in his name and building his statues everywhere, who is responsible if 'very few of the younger generation is actually aware of the actual contributions of Gandhiji'?

I am sure that Patel has been made to stand erect as the tallest to attract tourism in Gujarat. I am also sure that the statue will bring back all the money spent on it to make it, by way of collecting cash to go up through the lifts, to have a good view of Vadodhara city from the chest of the iron man of India.

What I feel is - If Modi does it with Mr Gandhi, there would be objection and criticism from many quarters. Modi's business brain has worked to earn through Patel.

No life without Sun

Saji, there are many ways to see that the great leaders will be remembered by the public. I have no choice to select one among them. The government had already taken the decision. None of us are having any say in that. Why to criticise the decision and to compare one with another great leader. We don't know the next government may go for a further tallest statue of another leader. In my opinion spending that much money for statues is no way good and the same view I have expressed in my post in another thread related to the statue. In India it is a passion to have statues and temples to political leaders and other people.
    drrao
    always confident

For the information of the readers who got the very unusual mindset of criticizing the Modi lead NDA government & in context to & on whatever subject & basis I would like to mention that on all the memorials of the independent India more than 70% of the memorials are dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi or in the name of his ancestors. These naming are not limited to the memorials only but this too in context with the highways, roads & other infrastructures facilities that even no localities are left which are not associated with the name GANDHI. What else do we want in the name of GANDHI than?

#651412 / T.M.Sankaran, you seemed touchy & emotional to the main thread while you mention, "The future generation might study a different history about our freedom struggle. So this statue is just a pointer towards that", but perhaps you will never get the unknown personalities who died for the same cause & never got the spaces in our text books. Perhaps you might also be aware of that instead of "Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel" who got the maximum vote for becoming the first PM of India, the Jawahar Lal Nahru was initiated with the interference of Mahatma Gandhi. The facts have to be cleared to all of us.

#651429 / Saji Ganesh, In context to you comment, "Right from the time of his arrival on the national scene, there has been an attempt by Sri Modi to project Sardar Patel above the Mahatma", perhaps we already have forgotten the "Swachh Bharat Abhiyan" initiated by the same PM which is well appreciated to the world over.

@ Ved Prakash Anand
    Yes many infrastructure, highways etc named in the name of great leaders like Gandhi, Nehru, Indra gandhi and rajiv gandhi. I wanted to mentioned that If you build and launch new schemes, its your credit. Like Mr Nehru build this nation from scratch from nothing. Hence his name on schemes is ethically right but Our current BJP Government is taking credit by changing the name of schemes.
    If Mr Modi launch the schemes from scratch, he can take credit but why his whole ministry is busy in changing name of various schemes?

Mr. Rahul: Has the present Prime Minister or any of his Ministers named any of the schemes in their own name? Any single scheme?

#651486 / Rahul, in context to your comment of, "Like Mr Nehru build this nation from scratch from nothing. Hence his name on schemes is ethically right", I want you to pl. list out his activities & achievements in context to his freedom struggle & its results. Pl. also come out with the Kashmir issue & later on the war with China in which we lost a major part of our land.

@ Partha
    Usually name is mentioned for the work of past. for example AICTSL (Atal Indore City Transport Service Limited). The name of Atalji is used because he was PM of BJP.
    @ Ved prakash Anand
    Because of Nehru, Kashmir is in part of India. In 1962, He took decision not use Airforce. I think this may be reason of loss but other aspect was not to use airforce on towns and cities on common people.
    Also, Mr Mahatma Gandhi made Mr Nehru PM of India. Mr Nehru was educated from foreign, because of his abilities, India got support from many countries like USSR, Britain, France and USA etc in many projects like Dams and factories etc.

I am telling if you are building any new infrastructure, new IIT, IIM, Factory, New schemes then you are free to name it on your will. But you are changing the name of schemes from this to that is not ethically correct.

"Because of Nehru, Kashmir is in part of India. "-------------Mr. Rahul, it would be better if you study a little bit before commenting. Nehru was extremely reluctant to send Army to Kashmir. Sardar Patel literally forced him to send troops at the very last moment. Because of Nehru's irresponsibly idealistic behaviour, India has lost 1/3rd of Kashmir. Not only these, he needlessly talked about plebiscite in Kashmir.

Your comment on the Indo-China war in 1962 is laughable, to say the least.

He was such a great leader that he managed to award himself 'Bharatratna' in 1955.

Mr. Rahul is correct. Better study the history again from all angles with an impartial mind. Sardar Patel was not interested in Kashmir. At one time he wanted to forego it for Hyderabad and Junagadh. The part of Kashmir under India is due to Nehruji only.

I think we are deviating from the subject. Better discuss this in another thread.

" Be Good and Do Good "

Mr. KVRR: You are arguing only for argument's sake. So, no further comments.

Mr.Partha, I suggest you read the book "The Story of the Integration of the Indian States" by Rao Bahadur Vappala Pangunni Menon. There is a separate chapter on Kashmir. Incidentally, Mr. V.P. Menon is the Secretary of the Ministry of the States, headed by Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

There are many books highlighting Nehru's pusillanimous attitude and one after another blunder in Kashmir during 1947-48. At the first instance, I suggest the following books:-
    (a) "Sardar: The Saint Emperor" by Dinkar Joshi (a very famous and internationally-acclaimed researcher)
    (b) "The Untold Story of Jihad in Kashmir" by Arif Jamal

You can also go through the following articles, the links of which are given below:-
    (a) https://www.vifindia.org/article/2018/july/kashmir-nehru-s-idealism-and-article-370
    (b) http://www.indiandefencereview.com/news/article-370-the-untold-story/

#651508 / Rahul, In context to your reply, "I am telling if you are building any new infrastructure, new IIT, IIM, Factory, New schemes then you are free to name it on your will. But you are changing the name of schemes from this to that is not ethically correct", don't you feel that what the British company had already been implemented with the projects & infrastructures, the Congress party did the copy-paste of all those schemes & projects rather than developing of its own & therefore the Congress party has done nothing except for taking credits of the achievements of the British company. To more of your satisfaction, during the time we were still not independent, we already had the schools & the industries as well as the other infrastructure facilities including the brick houses & toilets & highways & therefore what is the contribution of the Congress party than for the new India.

In addition, the Nehru had sent the troops with the PT shoes to fight with the mighty army of China letting them die for his ego. Shameful.

Mr. V.P. Menon was the man who was picked up by Sardar Patel himself to be the Secretary in the Ministry of States to help him in the process of integration of the Indian States. Sardar Patel himself asked Mr. Menon to write a book on the subject. The book mentioned by me is the firsthand account of the integration of the Indian States. The success of Sardar Patel was mainly due to Mr. Menon who facilitated the negotiations and made it possible for the early integration. Lord Mountbatten was the other person who from time to time helped in using his connections with the princely states to accede to India. Mr.Menon did not get the due recognition for the tremendous work he did. When there is first-hand information, there is not much need to read hearsay information.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

No, these are not "hearsay information". These books and articles (mentioned by me) are written on the basis of documentary evidence. And how would you counter if somebody says that Mr. Menon (I did know about his book) wrote the book after the death of Sardar Patel and he was deeply 'influenced' by the pressure-tactics of Nehru while writing this book?

Why should I believe in what Mr. Dinkar Joshi wrote? Why should I believe in the articles mentioned? It is an interpretation, not first-hand information.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

The thread appears to be going off the track. Please note.

• Sign In to post your comments