You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Goa

Is it another new low in politics?

Mr. Manohar Parrikar is the Chief Minister of Goa. The educated and sophisticated politician is widely respected not only in Goa but all over the country because of his honesty and efficiency. I still remember that many opposition parties in Goa (excluding Congress) who fought against the BJP in the last Assembly election, openly said that they would support BJP if Mr. Manohar Parrikar was made Chief Minister. Due to this popular demand, he resigned from the position of Defence Minister and returned to Goa to become the Chief Minister.

Unfortunately, Mr. Parrikar has been unwell for quite some time. He is presently in his private residence. He has not been attending any public meeting since 14th October. But Congress has been resorting to rumor-mongering.

Speaking to the media, Congress spokesperson Jitendra Deshprabhu said that the BJP and the BJP-led coalition government should prove to the people of Goa that Parrikar was alive. He said to the reporters: "Yes, we are taking that call. It is an extreme call that the Honourable Chief Minister may not be there at all".

BJP immediately refuted this. But I am stunned! What has happened to politics? Is this the new low? How desperate the grandfather of all parties in India has become! How desperate Congress has become for power!
    This is a post which is directly advocating the other party and complaining about one. I can undestand this is a personal like and dislike you have for the particular political party. This is not any low. This is politics in India, which is as dirty as party people can make it. There can be so many lows to mention by each party mentioned above.
    Ranging from cheap remarks over other person's character, to asking for details, to advocating and lies and what more.
    Personal beliefs and remarks are justified though. Every party has their own agendas and roles they have to play to bring out any small or big news to thrash the image of other party. After all, elections are approaching, this is going to be an ugly battle of words and shame.

Regards
    Iti Tyagi
    "Soar to Success"

This is not about party politics. This is a question of lack of ethics in politics. This is rumour-mongering about a leader who is respected cutting across party-lines.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Politics is like that especially in our country. These people can go to any extent.

The opposition will go to any illogical limits and take advantage out of any ordinary or insignificant thing. Particularly at the present juncture due to the global applause and admiration of the present Govt the opposition has become desperate to find out some loophole somewhere to take mileage out of it.

Knowledge is power.

Speaking of ethics in politics, we all know how the BJP managed to form the government in Goa. Coming to the point in question, we have had such instances earlier too where the demise of some popular leaders was made public only later on and so, especially keeping in mind the extent of strategies that can be moulded by this relatively new political party, I don't think we need to be surprised if the opposition has raised such a query. Such doubts were earlier raised in relation to some senior and popular leaders and steps were taken to let the people know that they were still alive.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

I reiterate that this is not about party. Any party which resorts to such a low level of rumour-mongering must be condemned.

But the problem is that some people fail to see beyond the party. Although I may or may not be a supporter of Congress, I don't expect this from the oldest party of the country.

This is going on for quite sometime. Now, the general election and few assembly elections are round the corner where the Congress is desperate to score well. But doubting an incumbent Chief Minister in this way is quite unfortunate and I am sure the next time when the spokesperson will be interviewed about this particular comment he will blame the media by denying his earlier statements.

It is quite disturbing that politicians in our country can stoop to any level to grab the office and they do not hesitate to violate the model code of conduct during elections too. When politicians facing serious criminal charges are participating in elections, on which the top court has made important observations earlier, we cannot expect anything better from these politicians.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

In India, there are no ethics in politics. Irrespective of the party, the majority of politicians will leave all ethics and morals if they feel that they will get some benefit. They never think about whether they can talk or not. They want only power. They never bother about any other issue.
    Chandrababu Naidu revolted against his father in law for power in united AP. Father and sons quarrelled for power in one of the states. A politician forced division of AP for becoming Chief Minister and another politician helped him to get his ward to PM post itself. This is the state of affairs in our country. Why should we talk about ethics and morals in such a situation?
    Let us be the silent spectators and watch and enjoy the drama. Other than this I think there is no chance for us.

drrao
    always confident

The comment by Mr. Jitendra Deshprabhu is unfortunate. At the same time, I wonder why Mr. Parrikar is clinging to power. He was not attending the office for more than six months. It was announced that he is suffering from cancer. Funny thing is that Mr.Parrikar sacked two ministers during September this year. The reason was they were suffering from ill health. Mr.Parrikar himself who is unable to attend the office for more than six months sacking two ministers on health grounds looks very funny. For the first time in the history of India, Mr.Parrikar conducted a cabinet meeting at AIIMS, New Delhi. Whose money is it anyway? How these people can waste peoples money? Mr. Parrikar has no moral right to continue after his prolonged illness. The administration of the State is suffering.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Let us discuss the unfortunate rumour and the lack of ethics in politics here. If any Member wants to discuss the illness of Mr. Parrikar and his continuing as Chief Minister of Goa like Mr. Vijayan in Kerala, he/she may initiate a new thread.

I am questioning the ethics of Mr. Parrikar. Is sacking of two ministers on health grounds when he himself not attending office for more than six months ethical? Conducting the cabinet meeting at AIIMS, New Delhi at the public cost ethical? Clinging to power and affecting the functioning of the State Government ethical?
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Who is clinging to power? Mr. Parrikar is the unanimous choice of the entire coalition. Further, the cost of another Assembly election is much more than the cost of holding the Cabinet Meeting at AIIMS.

Now, let us discuss what punishment should be awarded to the politician who talked about the death of Mr. Parrikar.

This is what politics is. There is no ethics in politics, these politicians can do anything to down their opponents. This is strange as people know that the CM is suffering from cancer and taking treatment for the same. He is not seen after 14th October since he returned from AIIMS Delhi. In such situation when CM is fighting with the disease Mr Deshmukh should not have commented like the way he did.

We must understand that we are human beings before being politician.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

• Sign In to post your comments