You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Does stricter laws increase the volume of corruption?

Notwithstanding the fact that offering or accepting bribes, in any form, is a crime, it is my personal experience that strict laws or regulation indirectly increases the volume of corruption. If the law is not very strict, one may have to give away only a small amount for getting your work done. But if there is a strict law you may have to offer more bribe. Many of my friends also agree with my view.

Members are requested to share their opinion in this thread about this point.

{Edited}
    When we want an exemption from following the law only, we will feel that strict laws will increase corruption, I feel. If the laws are strict and the people who are accepting and giving bribes are punished severely the corruption will come down. The common man, in one way, is responsible for the increase of this corruption. As per the rules, even though we are not eligible for an exemption we will try to manage to get the exemption by giving wrong information. Then we may have to give bribes to get our work done. I know some employees in Private Sector in and around Hyderabad and Telangana are showing less income or no income to get the ration cards and free perks from the government. For obtaining these ration cards, they give bribes to the concerned authorities. This is how we encourage corruption. So I feel rules should be strict and people should not expect any undue favours, then only the corrupt practices in the society will come down.
    drrao
    always confident

I do not feel that stricter laws lead to increase in corruption. In fact when ever there are loop holes in our regulatory systems, people tend to adopt corrupt practices. The overall governance is the limiting factor for corrupt practices.

Whatever stringent rules we devise if proper implementation and governance is not there we can not hope to bring down the corruption.

In any system a number of vigilant agencies are there to take notice of corrupt practices and report it to the top management or the ruling party. Now if there are many honest people sitting on top positions they will view it seriously and help in nabbing the culprits. On the contrary if there are some corrupt people also at the top level they will protect the bad elements below which is of course a deteriorating factor for the whole system and in such a situation the reform processes will halt.

Corruption and malpractices flourish in such conditions and many countries, including ours, in the world, are suffering the consequences of this evil.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments