You must Sign In to post a response.
Loved writing chapters for a fictional e-book on the previous occasions? Well, here we are again with a unique e-book challenge. Register as an author in this thread and find out what's so unique about it!
  • Category: Reward Programs

2018 Diwali e-book challenge - registrations invited

We are going to have an e-book challenge for this festive season. Everyone can participate, including new members and editors. As mentioned in the contest schedule alert, there are going to be some interesting twists and hence it is not just a contest but a challenge! The twists will unfold as we go along.

This is how it will work out: Those who are keen on participating should simply put a response to this thread, expressing their interest. Each member who will register here will be writing one chapter for the e-book.

The actual e-book contest will be posted in a separate thread later, after about 7-8 members register in this thread. A member must submit his/her chapter within 24hrs. of the submission of the previous chapter. Hence, all participants must daily follow the main contest announcement thread to follow the story and submit his/her chapter on time. If, even after 24hrs. the chapter is not submitted, then by default, the next participant in line will submit the chapter. The order in which the participants will submit their chapter will be informed in this thread, so you need to check this thread as well.

There will also be a separate thread where you can clear your doubts, but nobody should post any comments on any author's chapter or give suggestions on the storyline.

The first twist: the first person to register will have a double advantage over the later entrants.
    I am the first one to register and I am interested to write the first chapter of the ebook.

I am also interested in participating in this ebook challenge. Hence I register myself for this contest.
    drrao
    always confident

The double advantage for Suman Sahu, who is author #1: For being the first to register, as the author of the first chapter you are allowed to write 50 extra words (the maximum will be mentioned when the contest is announced) + you get 5 points and 5cc extra.
    When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

I am registering myself to write a chapter for the e-book.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

I am ready to register my name for ebook contest.
    Honesty is the best policy.

I am interested to write a chapter in the e-book and hence registering my name for the same.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

I am interested in writing a chapter so I am registering for it now. Please include my name in the sequence.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

I am interested in writing a chapter for the e-book contest so registering for the same. I wish to inform you that I would be unavailable from 3rd to 11th Nov. Suppose the contest will be conducted during the same period then, I won't be able to participate in it. It will be my loss.
    shampasaid

I am also interested in writing a chapter for this forthcoming opportunity and registering for this e-book contest.
    Knowledge is power.

Shampa, if you are not going to be available between 3rd and 11th, then you will not be considered as the chapter you will write will likely come up during these dates. We would prefer that members who register will definitely write the chapter in the order assigned as per the responses here. Otherwise, the entire planning will become a little chaotic since twists will be added and these, then, will need to be re-arranged. If, after 11th, the e-book registration is still open, then you can register again.
    When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Hi, I am interested and registering myself for this contest.
    Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

The challenge begins: The Diwali Gift Hamper: Diwali e-book challenge.

The first five chapters will be written by:
    1. Suman Sahu
    2. Dr Rao
    3. Partha K.
    4. Hakimuddin Kuwakhedawala
    5. Sankalan Bhattacharya

The second twist: Advantage for Dr Rao, who is author #2: You can choose not to write chapter 2 after reading chapter 1. If you do so, then you will have to write whichever chapter is assigned to you after chapter 6.

Next twist will be announced later.

This time the contest sounds more exciting! I would also like to participate in this contest.

Partha - please wait for your advantage to be mentioned before you submit your chapter after that of Dr. Rao. In case of Dr. Rao not opting for the advantage given to him, you will be writing chapter 2. Your time of 24hrs. will start, in that case, from the time I submit a response in the main contest thread.

Participants are requested to submit their chapter in such a way that the next author can pick up the story and there is a smooth flow from the first chapter to the last one. Please read all rules carefully to be valid for the main prizes.

Note: Since I will be busy with Diwali preparations, I may come online late morning or afternoon on some of the days starting from tomorrow and through the days of Diwali next week. So in case there is any confusion and an author has not understood what needs to be done, we will adjust the time frame.

I think if I am opting for the advantage Partha has to write the 2nd chapter. If I am not opting for the advantage I will be writing the 2nd chapter. I request the Managing Editor to clarify this point. She has mentioned in the above post that If I am not opting for the advantage Partha had to write the 2nd chapter.
    drrao
    always confident

A confusion! I think if Dr. Rao doesn't want to write the second chapter then I will write the second chapter and Dr. Rao will write the sixth chapter. Isn't it?

I am ready to write the second chapter of the e-book.

I will tell my decision only after reading the first chapter. Till then Partha has to wait.
    drrao
    always confident

Vandana, No problem. I hope the registration remains open even after 11th Nov.

Best of luck to all the participants for the e-book contest.

shampasaid

Dr Rao at #652028, I don't think that would be possible because Partha will have to abide by the time frame. So, either you opt to write the second chapter or wait for your turn after the sixth chapter.

Ma'am, please count me in.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

"There will also be a separate thread where you can clear your doubts, but nobody should post any comments on any author's chapter or give suggestions on the storyline."------------- Has that particular thread been initiated? Would like to ask something.

No. Saji. You please read the posting of Managing Editor, # 652017, in which it was clearly mentioned." You can choose not to write chapter 2 after reading chapter 1." So I will decide only after reading Chapter 1 only. Let us get the clarification from Managing Editor.
    drrao
    always confident

I'm interested too. Count me in.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Dr Rao at #652035. Yes, you are right. Sorry for the oversight.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

I want to take it up. Please count me in too.

Sorry, the contest organizer has indeed created confusion due to incorrect English! To clarify properly: If Dr Rao grabs the advantage and does not wish to write chapter 2, then only Partha would be writing chapter 2. Dr Rao can intimate us in this thread about his choice after reading chapter 1. He can take his time to decide, letting us know within 24hours of the submission of chapter 1.

Further, Partha has to wait for me to let him know his advantage (which I will inform once Dr Rao confirms his choice) and the time will then be set for Partha accordingly.

I will initiate a separate thread right away for queries related to the contest (did not get time yesterday to post that thread.) Let us keep this thread only for registrations so that participants can follow it to know the chapter number assigned to them and not get into a tizzy with all the other happenings here!

Everyone,
    For queries and issues please put responses to this thread. The 24hrs. deadline will be adjusted in case of any confusion about instructions and I have clarified it.

Next instructions posted here at 2.45p.m. since I cannot post a response after two consecutive responses:
    I am putting in further instructions here since I will be going offline now -

Dr Rao should note: in case Suman Sahu fails to submit Chapter 1 in time today, then you have the option to begin the e-book (but you do not get the double advantage given to Suman). If you do not wish to write chapter 1, then Partha must write chapter 1, his time of 24hrs starting from the time you post an opt-out response (for writing the first chapter) in this thread.

Partha: Your advantage whether you write chapter 3 or 2 or 1: You will have the advantage of writing 40 extra words. You will also choose one member from those registered in the next three responses after yours to write the next chapter after you. These members are Hakimuddin Kuwakhedawala, Sankalan Bhattacharya and Neeru Bhatt.

Hakimuddin Kuwakhedawala, Sankalan Bhattacharya: you will have an advantage each which will be revealed later, these being the same as had been pre-decided to be given to author nos.4 and 5.

My God! I have noticed this right now. I would request Mrs. Neeru Bhatt to write the next chapter.

Since Partha has mentioned that, as per the advantage which is given to him, Neeru Bhatt should write chapter 4, Hakimuddin Kuwakhedawala will write chapter 5 and Sankalan Bhattacharya will write chapter 6.

Neeru - your 24hours timeframe begins from the time of Partha's response #652140, that is. 08:18. So by 08:18 tomorrow (4th November), you should submit chapter 4.

Advantage for Hakimuddin Kuwakhedawala who will write chapter 5: You can write 30 extra words. Also, you can decide on any one element related to Diwali which the next author must include in his/her chapter.

Advantage for Sankalan Bhattacharya who will write chapter 6: If you take up the challenge of including the element in your chapter as mentioned by Hakimuddin Kuwakhedawala , then you can put in up to maximum 20 extra words in the text (the element should be included only once in your chapter). If you opt not to take up the challenge, then you cannot put in the extra number of words.

The other participants - Umesh, Padmini, Neethu, Aditya, Vij - who have registered after Neeru Bhatt should wait for me to respond here to let you know the next twist and the chapters assigned to you.

Madam, I have just read this thread and I have already posted my chapter no. 4. What should I do?

Hakimuddin, let the chapter remain as it is. It cannot be rectified. It was clearly instructed to the participants to follow this thread as this was a different kind of challenge, not just for writing but also for fulfilling the guidelines to the T.

Neeru - Unfortunately, Hakimuddin did not follow the instructions. Let us know if you will write chapter 5 after reading Hakimuddin's chapter.

Sankalan - please do not submit your chapter now. Wait till Neeru responds and also until I issue further instructions.

Madam, I just see my name for chapter 4 and watching the main thread for submission of 3 chapter. As Mr. Partha submitted chapter 3 I immediately started thinking and submitted my chapter. When I came here to submit the update for chapter 4 I came to know about advantages. Would I be able for the main prize or not?

Hakimuddin - the jury panel will jointly take the decision on the validity of your entry for the main prize.

Neeru has stated that she will write chapter 5, so we will continue...

Sankalan Bhattacharya - you can go ahead and write chapter 6 with the advantage given to you.

I have submitted the Chapter - 5 of the ebook today at 22:14 hrs.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Sanakalan - since Hakimuddin did not mention which element to include in your chapter, you can go ahead and write it as you wish, with the advantage of putting in 20 extra words in the text

Here's the next twist -
    After Sankalan submits Chapter 6, the next chapters will be written by those who registered after him, but in the reverse order of their registration. Thus, the next chapter authors will be:
    Chapter 7: Vij
    Chapter 8: Aditya Mohan
    Chapter 9: Neethu
    Chapter 10: Padmini
    Chapter 11: Umesh

Registration is still open if other members wish to participate.

I have submitted Chapter 6 of the e-book on 04.11.18 at 17:18 Hrs.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Hi Vandana,

I am sorry but due to some unavoidable work related priorities that came up suddenly, I will not be able to write a chapter and be a part of this contest. I really apologize for the inconvenience caused.

No problem, Vij, not to worry.

Re-arranging the chapter nos.-
    Chapter 7: Aditya Mohan - submit your chapter within 24hrs. of my this response given just now.
    Chapter 8: Neethu
    Chapter 9: Padmini
    Chapter 10: Umesh

Are there no advantages given to me ?

I need to know the word limit and the element of challenge to begin with right?
    And since ISC had an issue opening at around 3 pm today I wish my deadline could be extended.

Aditya,
    It was clearly mentioned that the advantages would be only for the first five members who registered for the contest. Also, if there were any instructions for you I would have mentioned them, isn't it (and the same would apply for other authors as well)? I cannot understand why you did not submit your chapter. I understand there were some technical issues mid-afternoon yesterday, but you should have submitted your chapter later, then, and mentioned that you could not submit it in time due to the technical problem. That was all that was required to be done. Now I suggest that you hurry up and submit your chapter by midnight tonight so that the next author can submit her chapter.

By the way, (i) you were supposed to have submitted the chapter by 3.25 on 6th, (ii) you were enquiring about the advantage much later at night, (iii) the log in issue arose just before 3p.m. and was resolved within 15-20mins. That means that you had not even drafted your chapter ready to submit it!

Neethu,

In case Aditya does not submit his chapter tonight, please go ahead and submit it within the next 24hrs. (that is, midnight tomorrow). If he does so, then you will submit chapter 8 within 24hrs. of his submission.

Alright. I will submit my chapter now.

I have submitted my chapter. I was just being more cautious to not break the ebook rules and set the contest into chaos. Hence the delay. Sorry. I hope I didnt break rules.

I have submitted my chapter at 12:18pm

Registrations will close today, so if anyone still wants to sign up please do so by midnight tonight (IST).

Thanks to an alert from one of the participants, I realized that Saji had registered in response #652032. I completely missed it!

Saji - sorry! Since the others were assigned chapters already, you could write the chapter after the one submitted by Umesh. That would be chapter 11.

Padmini was supposed to write chapter 9 by today (09.11.18) noon time. She has not done it.

Being in queue, now I assume that I have to write chapter 9 by tomorrow (10.11.18) noon time.

I will be going ahead with that.

Knowledge is power.

You can count me now. I am in the game.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

Hi,
    I apologize for my absence and even delayed response.
    Due to some reasons, I couldn't track the submissions and submit my post and lost the chance.
    If possible, I would like to write chapter after the last registered candidate.

Padmini

I have submitted Chapter-9, today (09.11.18) at 21:47 hrs.
    Knowledge is power.

Vandana,
    I am interested. Please allot me a chapter.

Ma'am, Umesh has submitted chapter nine. Since Padmini has come back with a request, kindly give the instructions so that I can proceed accordingly. I would like to hold on to either chapter 11 or 12 as the case may be.

A person who has not submitted a chapter already assigned cannot write the next chapter. So Saji has to submit Chapter 10 as assigned, within 24hrs. of Umesh's chapter. The chapters after that -
    Chapter 11- Jagdish
    Chapter 12- Rajee

Padmini - you can submit a chapter after Rajee, but note that you will not be eligible for any of the prizes. You will also not get enhanced points or cc. So if you are interested in writing Chapter 13, please let us know.

Registrations are now closed. However, this thread will remain open for further instructions, if any - and the final twist!

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

I have submitted Chapter-10 at 13:12 hrs.

Rajee - note that yours will not be the closing chapter. There will be a chapter after that which will be the closing chapter of the e-book. So keep this in mind when submitting Chapter 12.

All those who have registered for the e-book will be part of the final twist, so keep an eye on this thread! Vij and Padmini - even though you were unable to submit your chapters, since you did register, you will be allowed to be part of that final twist.

Yes I want to submit the chapter..
    Padmini

Posted Chapter 11 at 08.09 hrs today. Over to Rajee.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

Padmini,

You can submit chapter 13 after Rajee submits chapter 12.

I have submitted Chapter 12 at 2209 hrs today Sunday. Over to Padmini.

Padmini,

Note that the chapter which you will be submitting, that is, chapter 13, will not be the closing chapter. The final chapter will be submitted after yours (that will be Chapter 14) to close the e-book.

Submitted my chapter at 21:12 on 12.11.2018.
    Now waiting for the last chapter!

Padmini

I missed this opportunity due to my unavailability. Read the story until the 12th chapter which is well formulated. Good luck to all.
    shampasaid

Now, here's the final twist!

Chapter 14 will be the final, concluding chapter. It will be submitted by me, but not written by me. The text of the chapter will be written by one of those who registered for this e-book (it will not be eligible for the main prizes, but the author will get 10 points & 10 cc for the effort). All those who registered for the e-book will then guess who the author of Chapter 14 is. So it will be a Guess the Author puzzle.

What you have to do: read the Chapter once it is submitted. Then send an email to my Gmail contest ID which is: iscmecontests. All those who correctly guess who the author of Chapter 14 is will receive 8 points and 8 cc to their registration response in this thread (no need to submit a response stating that you have sent your guess entry to my email).

Note: those who did not register for the contest cannot send their entry. I am closing this thread now. Thanks to all the participants for their interest in this e-book.

Update - forgot to mention in the previous response: you must send your guess of who wrote chapter 14 within 24hrs. of that last chapter being submitted (I will submit it on behalf of the author as and when I am online here). Guesses received after the 24hrs. time-frame will not be valid for the points and cc.

Any further clarification required can be posted as a response in the other, contest query thread.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.