You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

An Interview of my Best Friend with Cancer!

When I chose to be a journalist, I knew I had to be brave, courageous and honest. But I wasn't prepared for all the emotional heartbreak it would bring along with the stories that I would cover. I had no time to mourn or sympathize, I had to move on to the next coverage, disregarding my emotional outbreak.

My Best Friend who was a popular singer was diagnosed with cancer. When I first heard the news, I was shocked to the core, I was unable to digest this news because "cancer" was always for someone whom we didn't know till it hit my Best Friend. We had shared many crazy moments, she was with me through thick and thin. She was at the peak of her career when she was diagnosed. It was stage 4 cancer, though she underwent many chemotherapies, in the end, all of it proved futile. Doctors gave up hope and sealed her fate.

She was a fighter, she never gave up hope. A cheerful friend of mine, who smiled even when she faced death. I got the privilege of interviewing her before she bid her final goodbye to this wonderful place.

I rang her up to check if she was fine to speak and give an interview, she gladly agreed to it. So I reached the hospital where she was taking treatment, I took all the precautions and wore the special garment given by the staff to avoid infecting her.

As I entered the room, there she lay on the bed peacefully, though she was pricked with many tubes and masks, she still remained very beautiful and calm. I wondered, how could she be like this, isn't she angry with God for putting her through this at such a young age?

I approached her bed and called her by name, she slowly opened her eyes and looked at me. I could see the glee in her eyes, the nurse helped her to get up and sit comfortably on her bed. She was ready to speak now. Though I would love to share the full interview, here I share an excerpt of the interview, which is just enough to lift our spirits-

What were your thoughts when you first heard that you were diagnosed with cancer?
    To be honest, I was terrified and I could visually see my life crumbling in front of me because for me cancer was something which could happen only to others. Now to realize that I am that "other" to someone was hard to digest. It took me few weeks to compose myself and accept the fact.

What was your worst fear and how did you overcome it?
    My worst fear was that I might lose my voice to cancer. (To which I replied that you still have the most amazing voice and requested her if she could sing a song for me. She sang this song "Haal Kaisa hai jaanab ka", a Hindi song originally sung by Asha Bhosle and Kishore Kumar).

Any words of wisdom to your fans and readers?
    Well, I may or may not live longer but I am grateful for the life that I have lived so far. Life is very unpredictable, its very important that every day, you live your life to the fullest. Procrastinating any work should be avoided at all cost. Always, always and I repeat always follow your heart, do what you love to do the most before you realize that you have lived half your life doing things that you never liked.

I still remember her very often, she passed away three weeks later after this interview. Her voice will live forever through the songs that she sang.

( This is an entry for TOWcontest).
    A sad and touching story. Cancer is a fearful ailment and once diagnosed it is shocking news for anyone.

I know some persons who were brave enough to accept the challenges of suffering by cancer. They faced it with courage and patience. They know that it is incurable and there is no point in creating a fuss about it.

Knowledge is power.

A very sad story narrated nicely. Really it is very sad that a fantastic singer has to face the anger of God in the form of cancer. Cancer is a deadly decease. But these days many methods to cure the same were developed. Still some people are losing their lives because of this disease. Even though the lady died, she will be forever on the earth in her songs. A nice write up by the author and the interview was conducted very nicely and my appreciations to the author.
    drrao
    always confident

A very emotional story of this singer. Cancer is still a dreadful disease. A person suffering from it dies after knowing it that they are suffering from this horrible diseases. My mother is also a patient of cancer so I know how painful ichemotherapy and radiation are. She is fine and have through these processes. She is fine because she is a fighter and because of my father who always remained with her and cared for her all the time.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

A heart-touching story! This interview with the singer teaches us to fight till the last. The singer never lost hope and her mental peace even during her last days of life. She bore the unbearable pain and medication with the best of her ability. The author narrated the event exceptionally well.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

A very touching story that tells us how spirited the singer was. A wonderful narration by the author through which the pain of the patient is felt. Life is so unpredictable and nobody knows what is going to happen next. She lost the battle and left this world but her works remained intact. She will be remembered for her works.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

There are no precise words in my dictionary to explain what I feel now. This is by far the best entry I have read. The thing is, the way you describe it makes it seem like an original story. I would be heart breaking to lose your best friend. I hope that this was a fiction and not an encounter with reality. Because if I were you, it'd be too much for me to bear.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

• Sign In to post your comments