You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

RIP, Brigadier Chandpuri, the hero of Longewalla

It is an unbelievable incident. Nobody can believe this incident. But it did happen. Only 120 soldiers of a Rifle Company of 23 Punjab beat back 2000 Paki Infantrymen and an entire Tank Regiment. This unbelievable incident was scripted by Major (later Brigadier) Kuldeep Singh Chandpuri at Longewalla of Rajasthan sector in 1971. The force ratio was 2:47 in favor of Pakistanis. He was awarded Maha Vir Chakra after the war. This great hero rose to the rank of Brigadier in the Indian Army.

This gallant but extremely soft-spoken retired Officer has left the world today. My respectful salute to this great soldier of India.

[P.S.: Before talking about the film 'Border' in the discussion, the Members may kindly remember that Border film gave an inaccurate description of this grand battle. 23 Punjab lost only two soldiers (yes, only two) in that Battle. An Indian anti-tank gun was also destroyed. But the film depicted that many Indian soldiers died.]
    It is very sad to know that Major Kuldeep Singh Chandapuri is no more. His service to the nation deserves all the appreciations. My respectful pranamas to the great solider. May his soul rest in peace.
    drrao
    always confident

I pay my great respect to the departed soul. He was instrumental in carrying out the act of gallantry in the said fight as clearly presented by the author in this thread.

We have many heroes like that in our army and they can show their brevity and fearlessness in times of war and ambush with the enemy. They do not care for their life when the question comes of fighting for their motherland. Today we are living in a free and independent environment in our country only due to their courage and strength.

I appreciate the author, who is undoubtedly an expert in military, war and historical matters and has written so many articles and posts on the related subjects, to bring this news for our information here and giving us an opportunity to pay our homage to him. Thanks.

Knowledge is power.

At the time 1971 war, Chandpuri was a Major. He survived the unbelievable Battle, was awarded Maha Vir Chakra and rose to the rank of Brigadier. Today he left for his heavenly abode at an age of 78.

Very soon, I am going to write a true account of the Battle of Longewalla. That would be a true tribute to this great soldier.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

My salute to the hero who braved many odds to defeat the Pakistani army during the 1971 war. We are living peacefully because of brave soldiers like him who face all odds to guard the borders and fight with the infiltrators to save the country. May his soul rest in peace.

It would indeed be a true tribute to the brave soldier if the account of the battle is provided to all of us through ISC and I am waiting to know more about it.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

We all are indebt of the great sole departed. Our freedom and our pride. Our everybreath is protected by Such soldier. I pay homage to the great sole. And great brief information given by the member.

Thank you

Prasanna
    Well done is better than well said

Brigadier Kuldeep Singh Chandpuri had a major role during the war against Pakistan in 1971. It was great to see his character in the film border played by Suny Deol. I salute such a brave person who without worrying for his life fought bravely with the enemies.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

A sad news. I also pay my respect to the departed soul. The army men protecting us from the enemy are really praise worthy and we all are proud of these warriors.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Just now I have posted the first part of the two-part article on the Battle of Longewalla. I would request all Members to read about this heroic battle and pay respect to Brigadier KS Chandpuri and his gallant soldiers.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.