You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is being philosophical "old" fashion?

A few months ago, I lost a near and dear relative. She was happiness personified. She would never ever show anger. She radiated positive energy. Somehow the Madurai heat made her so weak and she had a reportedly severe heart attack.

To say that I have got over the shock is an understatement. Life makes me philosophical at times. When we do not want to participate in parties. When we would say no to some social gathering. Those who knew what was going on within me counseled me to move on. I did so to some extent and diverted all my energy to write a good number of articles.

A few days ago, a close friend chided me, saying I was "old" fashioned. Life has to go on, he explained. One cannot do much about death that sometimes happens to people at the age of 63. Yes, she was gone when she was just 63.

I could accept the move on advice but not the "old" fashioned part. Being philosophical and taking some time off to be one's own, cannot be said to be "old" fashioned. It happens. At some point of time or the other. There is no fashion. I did not argue with them.

What do members have to say on this view?
    Being philosophical is not old-fashioned. Sometimes when we have a severe sorrow or hear a shocking news we will become philosophical. When somebody dies and if we go with the dead body to a cremation ground at that moment we will become very philosophical thinking that one day or other we will also be like this. This feeling will be lost long if the shock we have is severe and it will die down easily if the shock is a mild one. It is the nature and it will be there for all people of all ages. But the only thing is the degree may vary from person to person.
    We all know that death is inevitable and nobody will be here a minute more or a minute less than the destined. But human beings will have emotions and when we have a negative emotion we will become philosophical.
    One of my sisters left this world when she was 3 years old and I was about 7 years. Whenever I remember even after 53 years of its occurrence I feel sorry for her and I will become philosophical at that moment. It happened when was young and it is happening now and then these days also after I crossed my 60 years of age.

drrao
    always confident

How is that ' being philosophical' become old fashioned ? Philosophical way of thinking comes to everybody when difficulties arise in real life. Philosophy itself is a subject and degree courses are offered in it under different Universities.
    Ordinary man finds a resort in it when he faces difficulties in life. Sometimes, analysing difficult situations with the help of philosophical interpretations will act as psychological remedy too.

tmsankaran

On the contrary, I find many young people who are below 30 years of age, are very philosophical. The nasty surroundings and the cut-throat competition, the mindless race of materialism and the need to excel, have made them philosophical.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Being philosophical means that you can think beyond the materialistic world. It is the philosophical attitude of some of the human beings that today we have a treasure of philosophical knowledge with us in our libraries and internet.

Philosophy is present since ages but it does not mean that it is old fashioned. The present scholars and scientists are also sometimes become philosophical in their approach in unravelling the mysteries of nature.

So philosophical thinking is a continuum and will remain like this till eternity.

Knowledge is power.

How can we not be philosophical in life sometimes as the life is itself considered a philosophical journey by many eminent scholars.

There is nothing wrong in being philosophical and to try to understand the mysteries of life. In any case it is not old fashioned.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

It happens when we get such shocks in our life we get philosophical but that doesn't mean that the person has become old-fashioned. Sometimes when things happen which don't expect happens make us a different person and our perceptions towards things change and which is obvious.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

• Sign In to post your comments