You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Fish not eaten in the month of Krithika

In the south, the Hindus don't eat fish during the month of Krithika, from mid-November to mid- December. The devotees of Lord Karthikeya strictly follow this practice. Also, the Ayyappa devotees fast during these days. What could be the other reasons? What about the people from the North Indian states?
    It is a custom. Karthika is believed to be a very sacred month. This month both Vishnu and Shiva will be worshipped. Many people don't eat anything during day time the whole month. They will eat only once in the night after sunset. Monday's, 11th day, 15th day, 26th day of this month are treated very pious and fasting will be observed by many. Not only fish but also other non vegetarian will also be not taken by many Hindus during month. Many Hindu's feel that eating non vegetarian is not liked by the God. Hence whenever some special festivals, poojas and other type of worships happen in the house, many people decide not to eat non vegetarian.
    The main reason may be the killing of animals is treated as a sin and one should not kill an animal for eating. This is believed many people and that is the reason they stop eating non vegetarian.

drrao
    always confident

''Krithika'' means the month of ''Kartik'' in North Indian or Bengali calendar. Bengalis don't have any bar to have fish during this month. It is not possible for the Bengalis not to take fish in any month.

However, this is a new information for me and I have mentally noted it.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Religion in any society is an old tradition and there are certain rules to be followed by the people abiding by the philosophy of that particular religion.

The original religion was different when formulated by its founders but with time it evolved to accommodate the notes of dissent among its people and in that process got subtle changes in its working principles.

Some historians term it as abberation in religions but the people belonging to that religion call it the allowed deviations or permitted negotiations.

Unfortunately, the gullible and simple people take it as the God's word and follow these changes.

In North also, many people do not take onions, garlic etc on Tuesday which is a fast day for many worshipping Hanuman.

Strictly speaking if something is forbidden in a religion, it should not be consumed but as I mentioned earlier these are the modified or aberrated forms or evolution of the religion with time.

Knowledge is power.

It's a new information for me. As such we don't have any restrictions for a month. In Navratri, we don't eat non-vegetarian, don't drink liquor, even many of the people don't shave or cut hair. Also on Tuesday to we follow the same rule because Tuesday is meant the day of Hanuman Ji.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

interesting thread

• Sign In to post your comments