You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

My deleted threads on a neighboruing country

I earlier raised one or two threads on one of the neighbouring countries of India. In those threads, I mentioned that the country's Prime Minister has been begging for alms/grants from some other countries. These threads were promptly deleted. I was given to understand that my threads were of bad taste and I should not mention all these things about a neighbouring country. These were the justifications given for deletion of my threads.

Today, a distinguished Member of ISC has raised a thread where he started in this manner: "As we have begged and borrowed many items and technologies from China." At least another two Members (excluding me) raised an objection to this. But even then, the thread is allowed to remain, it has only been locked to prevent further responses/objections.

So, we may now conclude that if we say India is begging and borrowing, it is perfectly alright, but if we say that one of India's neighbouring countries is begging (which is factually correct), that is not acceptable in ISC. Isn't it?
    When using such words are not acceptable to ISC, why the thread which used same words was not deleted is a genuine question from a member of ISC. If there are any other reasons for deleting that thread, the concerned editor should make it clear. Otherwise, the question asked by the author is to be answered by an editor why this thread is only locked. My response is not to find fault with either the member or the editor. But the other members also will get satisfied if the question is answered with valid reasons. The members will get the feeling that ISC is not having any bias.
    drrao
    always confident

Please do not try to mislead. Your threads do not appear to have been deleted merely for the reasons mentioned by you and you are very well aware of the same.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

No, I am not aware of any other reason behind the deletion of my threads. Please do not try to mislead.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Using such words in the forum is not good one should avoid such words. Yes, i came across the thread you have mentioned but nothing can't be done. Its editor's job to deal with such things why should we worry. I normally neglect threads which I feel are getting off the track.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

I for the rare instance agree with Partha on this one. Such words should not be used. If Parth's thread was not deleted for the use of those words, it should have been and the thread Partha is referring should be modified to remove those words.

Ankit, first of all, Partha's threads do not (do not) appear to have been deleted simply due to the use of such derogatory words (I will not elaborate). Coming to the thread in question, I agree that the use of the words was derogatory and absolutely in bad taste but by the time the same was noticed by the editors, lot many responses pointing out (repeating) the words had come in and simply editing the thread would not have had much effect. In addition, the thread had been driven off the track and had gone into mud slinging due to which it was considered appropriate to lock the thread.

I would also like to clarify that use of similar words alone does not call for similar action on different threads. We have to take into consideration certain other factors also as you might be aware.

Partha, you could have avoided repeating the derogatory words in this thread again because by doing so the effect which you proposed is not being met but, on the contrary, is being revitalized.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

Use of similar words-different actions for different Members. Later, some lame excuses (usually, the reason is not mentioned).

Partha, neither there is a need to look down upon the actions taken by editors by using adjectives nor is there a requirement of a continuous attempt to portray them in a poor light. Lame excuses are like unreliable links and we do not believe in such tactics.
    And, I never said different actions for different members. Let us be fair in interpretations. We are bothered about the content and not about individuals, though track record is always a factor in most of the decisions including judicial ones if I am not mistaken.

No, you have never admitted different actions for different members. It is my own interpretation based upon my study of the actions taken by the editor(s).

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.