You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Know the standard of Indian politician

Question by a reporter: Who is the President of India?
    Answer (after much hesitation): PM Modi.
    Reporter: Who is the Governor of Assam?
    Answer: Actually I have studied in Shillong. Throughout English medium. So, I can't understand the question in Assamese.
    Reporter: How many districts are there in Assam?
    Answer: What sort of question is this? There is only one district in Assam. It is Dhuburi.
    (The reporter almost fainted.)

The name of the candidate: Iblima Sultana. The name of the political party: Congress.
    Candidature for: Jhagrarchar Village Panchayat, District: Dhuburi, Assam.
    Qualification of the candidate: M.A
    Profession: Vice-Principal of Mankachar DS Junior College.

Even after this interview, a senior Congress leader and MLA, Debabrata Saikia, has supported her strongly. He said that although the candidate doesn't know the answers to these questions, she is very much eligible to serve the people.

No comment from my side.
    A post graduate is not aware of minimum important information like the name of the President of India. How is she working as a Vice Principal of a college. What she teaches to the students there. I am more worried of that point. She herself is not having any knowledge of a SSC candidate. How can be a good teacher.

As a matter of fact it is better to have an uneducated person who knows about the Indian politics in Indian politics than this candidate. She don't know the Capitals, districts and other information about her own state. The God only can save this country from such politicians who are not having minimum general knowledge and history of the country.

drrao
    always confident

Partha, could you please mention where you got this piece of information from?
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

Of course, yes. An article has appeared in the most read Bengali newspaper (in West Bengal, Kachhar, Tripura and Bangladesh) named Anandabazar Patrika. Many Bengali people can't dream to doubt the credentials of this newspaper. By the way, it is virulently anti-Modi and anti-BJP. The link is given below:-
    https://www.anandabazar.com/national/congress-candidate-for-assam-panchayat-election-failed-to-remember-presidents-name-1.902592

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Hehe...i am shocked how can such people govern our country. There should be a test for the candidates when it is essential on all the government jobs then why it's not for the politicians. More shocking is she is vice principal of the school.

I have seen similar videos of government teachers and principal of schools of Bihar where they teaching wrong spellings of January, February. Even the principal of that school doesn't know the name of our PM. It's very sad to see such people are teaching the kids when they seem to be uneducated. What will be the future of such kids? It's very disheartening.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

I must add some more information to enable the members to grasp the importance of the issue.

(a) Some people tell Dhuburi is the Pakistan/Bangladesh of Assam. It is the headquarters of AIUDF, the coalition partner of Congress. (Please do some research on the internet. Further elaboration on my part may not be possible at this stage.)
    (b) Maximum number of infiltrators have been found in Dhuburi, Borpeta, Dhuliajan and Mongoldoi districts of Assam.
    (c) There are many such private schools and inter-colleges which have been approved by the Governments. Two or three teachers carry the mantle of teaching at a very low salary. The principals and vice-principals, usually the founders, enjoy life and money, just holding these positions in such schools.
    (d) After getting elected, such candidates will usurp all the benefits of being a representative of people. Later, to satisfy the people who elected them (belonging to their own community), these representatives would demand quota. And liberals would support them.
    (e) We must understand this vicious game.

It is true that the standard of the majority of politicians of all the political parties across the country is very poor. Our Prime Minister himself proved to be ignorant of many of the historical and many other facts. He floundered even in the case of Late Syama Prasad Mukherjee who was the founder of Jan Sangh which later became Bharatiya Janata Party. It is not surprising that a Ms. Iblima Sultana is so ignorant. This reflects on our educational system also.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

1. "This reflects on our educational system also."---------------Yes, it may reflect on our educational system established by Jawaharlal Nehru and strengthened by his daughter and his grandson as Prime Ministers.
    2. It might be possible that Ms. Sultana was following the great example established by her party president on an innumerable number of times. As for example, she must have seen how the great man pronounces 'Visvesvaraya'.
    3. For proper understanding the importance of the issue, Members may go through my previous response.

Sorry Partha, I cannot read Bengali. I will come back on this after consulting experts in the team.

In the meanwhile, members are requested not to stray away from the topic in question.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

Just now I have noticed that Dr. Rao has remarked:"She herself is not having any knowledge of a SSC candidate." I would like to state that in the Government recruitment examination at the lowest level for recruiting MTS, such simple questions are not asked.

Another tragedy is: These people get elected on the basis of community voting, and then start ordering Government officials, even the IAS officers. This is the tragedy of democracy which we have been following for the last 71 years.

Mr Partha,
    Is she an Indian politician?
    After the NRC publication by Assam Government, more influx of illegal migrants to Southern states reported

Ah! After so many responses, a Member has finally hit the nail. I have grave doubt whether she is Indian, or not.

I think this discussion is loosing it's track. Your thread already saying the person is an Indian politicians and in #653681 you are not sure about it's nationality. Your response is cotradictory.
    Second there are many more such example in our country that politicians are not having simple GK about their constituency for which they represented. This is sad reality this needs to be changed.

Prasanna
    Well done is better than well said

Mr. Prasanna: Please read my previous responses very carefully. As she is going to contest in the Panchayat election, she is Indian. But......

Considering the place where she resides, there is a very big question mark on citizenship. It is Dhuburi district.

Partha, having been guided by my friends who can read Bengali, I am back to this thread. I have no doubt about the reliability and popularity of Ananda Bazaar Patrika because I am very well aware of this very old publication.

At the outset, let me point out that the title of your thread is misleading in the sense that it refers to all the politicians in India. Coming to the thread, it is quite amusing to note that it is the fact (probably) that the lady in question is a Congress candidate for the Panchayat elections in Assam rather than the fact (as claimed) that she is a post-graduate and is the Vice Principal of an educational institution despite her poor general knowledge that has garnered the attention in this thread. I am not interested to get into the game of comparisons because that is not the way out and so I am not going for it.

Trying to find out answers to a few questions may help-
    Firstly, the doubt (which seemingly excited the author) whether she is an Indian. Is the election commission of this nation so ineffective that they fail to check the credentials of a person before accepting their candidature? If she is qualified otherwise, even after the NRC exercise, why should we cast that aspersion? We have so many leaders who have come across different borders.
    Secondly, how did she pass her post-graduation? General Knowledge is not a part of the syllabus but isn't a postgraduate expected to know the basics? The education system seems to be corrupted.
    Thirdly, how could this lady manage to become the Vice-Principal of a College? Is there no system to monitor and ensure such administrative requirements in Assam?
    Fourthly and more importantly, why did the interviewer choose to ask questions related to general knowledge to a candidate? Didn't he have any socially relevant or political questions to ask?

And Partha, highlighting a point that is almost immaterial when other questions as asked above, on a general note, need to be answered is a clear indication to the idea behind this thread. There is much more to it than just being connected to a Muslim or a Congress candidate.

I would also like to mention that this piece of (valuable) information was not covered by any other national newspapers (all appear to be on the side of liberals) other than Ananda Bazaar Patrika and few that are published from Assam only because the matter was in relation to the Panchayat elections and the candidate is contesting for a panchayat seat. Let us be frank in admitting that the level of most of our panchayat members, across the country, is more or less the same.

Iblima Sultana, even if she wins (due to the majority of the voters of that area being from her community), it won't be, in any way, deciding the fate of our nation or even the State.

I have read the response of Mr. Saji Ganesh. I have failed to understand his views on many aspects (mentioned in the response). But even then, I am trying to mention the following:-

1. First thing first. Yes, my thread title has become confusing. Should I change it to ''Know the standard of an Indian politician" now?
    2. Mr. Ganesh has very discreetly doubted the authenticity of the news-item published in Anandabazar. Let me first assure him. He may get the fact checked from his Bengali-knowing friends. Anandabazar Patrika is virulently anti-Modi, anti-BJP and anti-Hindu. As for example, when Dhulagarh riot came to national channels and newspapers, Anandabazar didn't write even a single sentence on this riot. This type of activities has ensured the credibility of this newspaper among Bengali intellectuals all over West Bengal, Bangladesh, Tripura, Kacchar, Andaman & Nicobar, and other places. So, at least Mr. Saji Ganesh should not doubt the credibility of Anandabazar.
    3. The lady's Post-Graduation degree creates a doubt because the standard of education in Assam and in Meghalaya (Shillong) has not deteriorated to this level.
    4. The citizenship question comes to picture because the name of the state is Assam and the name of the district is Dhuburi. A little bit of effort would make all of us understand that NRC has not identified all illegal infiltrators. Many many illegal infiltrators have become Indian citizens by little bit planning and active help of politicians of two political parties.
    5. The Assamese reporter asked these simple questions to Ms. Sultana because he did have some doubts about the candidate.

There are many such incidences reported in media which show the low awareness of politician about GK. Some of them may be true while some could be fake.

In any case that is a sorry state of affairs if a person shows such basic ignorance.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Nice post...

There are many like Ms. Sultana, the Congress candidate for the Panchayat elections in Assam, in different political parties, especially in the rural areas contesting rural body elections. It is quite disturbing to note that she is a Vice-Principal of a college there and I do not know what kind of answers we would get from the students of that college if they are interviewed.

The education system is not upto the mark in our country and only improving the education system may not solve the whole issue. If people want to remain ignorant, no education system will be able to let them know the correct things. A people's representative must have a thorough idea about the region she/he is representing and if somebody lacks the knowledge it is understood how effectively she/he would deal with the people there.

In the responses of few members, I have found that the credibility of a particular Bengali Daily, Anandabazar Patrika, is questioned and as a resident of this state I would say that the newspaper has lost its credibility long ago. It is very popular and widely circulated but they dish out stories rather than facts. They create attractive headlines to draw attention of the readers and at times they create confusions.

There is no point in going off the track but the situation of rural politics, especially in Panchayats is really very bad. A large part of the remote places still remain underdeveloped and there is a tussle even among immediate family members to contest the elections. There money plays a great role and education comes secondary. Often different media publish news of poor knowledge among students of government run schools in villages. All the governments are proposing to build new schools and training institutions but it would be much better if they device ways to improve the quality of education. We cannot predict the outcome of the results but I hope the Vice-Principal should not become the principal of vices if she wins the election.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

• Sign In to post your comments