1. The main point was that India would have to establish a faithful relationship with her neighbouring countries like the Maldives, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bhutan.
2. If India has done some favourable actions to her neighbours, India need not ask anything in return from neighbours.
3. The South Asian countries should not allow its territory to be used against the interest of another country of the same region.
4. No country should interfere in the internal matters of the neighbouring country.
5. All South Asian nations should resolve the disputes through peaceful bilateral negotiations.
6. All the South Asian countries will help each other to cope up with any natural and economic crisis.
If our country tries to have a connection directly with various wings of the neighbouring country is it not going against the above understanding. If we spend our resources for the upliftment of other country's citizens, is it not going to backfire on us as there are many poor people in India who are waiting for a helping hand.
Another point the help we may extend to build the nation may be like bringing up a snake by giving food. But a snack is always dangerous. How it behaves over a period of time can't be predicted.