You must Sign In to post a response.
This entry wins the second prize for the Dual Role Interview contest.
  • Category: Competition Entries

Interview of a helicopter pilot operating in Indian ocean

This interview pertains to a helicopter pilot who has more than 10 years experience in shuttling technical and maintenance people from onshore to offshore oil rigs in the Indian ocean. During rainy season and rough sea conditions the job of the pilot becomes very risky and especially during relief operations, in case of any eventuality, it becomes a very difficult and responsible task.

The name of the pilot is Captain Sagar and he is a commercial pilot license holder.

The interview goes like this -
    Q.1.: Mr Sagar, you are having quite a good experience in this line. How do you perceive your job here.
    A.1: Sir, Initially, I was apprehended by the storms and rough weather conditions and sometimes it was really a difficult job to transfer people in a short time from the offshore oil rig to the coast for their protection but with time I have mastered the tricks of the trade and also learned as how to take preventive and anticipatory actions at our end. My job is tough and strenuous but I like my job and try to perform in the best of the professional ways.

Q.2.: Did you have any unfortunate incident during your flying of the helicopters?
    A.2.: Yes, Sir. About 8 years back I took off from the inland helicopter base when the weather was off fully bad but we had to replace a working shift of 6 people in one offshore rig where an important step of operations was going on. A soon as I took off and entered the air above the sea there started some malfunctioning in the helicopter and due to bad weather and high speed winds I lost balance and we slowly decended down in the water. Luckily we were very near to shore and the coastal guards and other fishermen saved us. This was a fearful experience I had during my career in this line.

Q.3.: Mr Sagar, my last question to you is what message you will like to give to our youngsters who want to make their career as helicopter pilot?
    A.3.: Sir, I will like to say that no job is tough in this world. Dangers are everywhere but we must use our common sense and courage to mitigate the problems which arise in our path. We also should feel proud of our work. I am always feeling proud that I am serving the country by shuttling these important technical people and engineers to and fro the offshore oil rig where they are engaged in great work of exploring and producing crude oil which is the requirement of our country for self sufficiency in oil.

I thanked Mr Sagar for his answers and the interview ended.

This is my entry for the dual role interview contest.
    A good interview. The author brought in the importance of liking the job he Is doing by the individual. Then only the individual can excel in his work. One should feel proud of what he is doing. Many people think that their job is not good. But that is not a correct thinking. You should love your profession.
    drrao
    always confident

It looks like you've done a lot of reasearch or added your experience in this thread. Great work. No job is safe but some hold high stakes because failure means destruction on a very high level. Like if this pilot messes up, he'll end up in ocean, with his blades cutting several corals and fish. That is the best case scenario.
    The worst case would be him dashing into the nearby village. True. No job is tough.
    But some jobs require you to never err because consequences are more than dire.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.