You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

An inspiring interview of Navy Lieutenant Basant Kumari

Good Morning, viewers! I, Ghochuchandran, with Cameraman Ghatotkach from Patriot channel, am standing just outside the picturesque INA Ezhimala in Kunnur district of Kerala. The passing-out parade is just over. 317 trainees including 16 female cadets have just got their commission with Indian Navy after successful completion of training. Basant Kumari is one of them. We will know from her about life during training at INS Ezhimala and other related aspects. Let's talk to Lieutenant Basant Kumari.

Me [Question 1]: Congratulations Lt. Basant Kumari! Just now you have been commissioned. Even now, we see very few girls join the Indian Armed Forces. Our viewers would be interested to know when did you take the decision to join Indian Navy.

Lt. Basant Kumari: Thank you, Mr. Ghochuchandran. Although my father is a Navy Officer, he never forced me to join the Navy. But, since my childhood, I have been noticing the life of Navy Officers. I am impressed by their patriotism, sense of duty and disciplined life. Even before reaching my teenage, I started aspiring to become a Navy Officer. I told my parents about my career choice much later.

Me [Question 2]: Now Lt. please tell us about the training schedule at INA Ezhimala. The future aspirants will love to learn from you.

Lt. Basant Kumari: Ezhimala is a very big naval establishment. Some cadets join this after completing the basic course from NDA, Khadakvasla. Others join directly. Even Coast Guard trainees get training here. Further, the technical branch officers also undergo training here. The cadets are assigned different squadrons. Presently there are six squadrons and I was a member of Achiever squadron. There is a full-fledged hospital with all modern equipment insider the campus. It is INHS Navjivani. The training infrastructure is excellent and can be compared with the best in the world. There are adequate provisions for entertainment, extra-curricular and sports activities.

The daily life is very hectic. The day starts at sharp 5 a.m. After the drill, physical training, the cadets take breakfast. Then after changing, classes start at 8 a.m and continues till 12 noon. After the lunch, weapons training and practical classes continue till 4 p.m. The extra-curricular and sports activities are very important in the life of cadets and these continue from 4.30 p.m to 7 p.m. Thereafter, it is study time. Dinner is to be completed by 9 p.m. The tough training helps a cadet to develop into a full-fledged officer of Indian Navy.

Me [Question 3]: What is your message to the young men and women aspiring to join Indian Navy?

Lt. Basant Kumari: Friends, prepare yourself to be the family members of great Indian Navy. Try hard, give your best and join Indian Navy. If you are determined, you will definitely be successful. Do you have it in you?

Me (Ghochuchandran, the Correspondent of Patriot news channel): Thank you Lt. Basant Kumari for spending some time with our viewers. Best wishes to you. Have a bright future with the Indian Navy.

(Entry for Dual Role Interview Contest)
    A well conceived and well presented interview. The author has tried to catch a glimpse of the training institute through the interviewee.

Nice attempt for the contest.

Knowledge is power.

The interview has given a good information about the training process for the Naval Officers. It is true that the number of females in the defence forces is very less when compared to men. But these days we are seeing some females also in the armed forces. It is true that if really one wants to get admitted into armed forces, it is not hard if they try the same with a strong will.
    drrao
    always confident

The author of this thread gave much knowledge about Indian Navy through the interview with a female Navy officer. Generally, in novels, we read female characters who are limited to the kitchen having her husband and children as their life. But, now, in this century, the total scenario is being changed. Women are also doing prestigious jobs competing with men. This thread insists such aspect indirectly.

The interviewer of the Patriotic Channel failed in getting right the basics of journalism, that entail, getting correct, every minute detail.

In the summary, the Naval officer is introduced by her name, without her rank. That's akin to sacrilege. Service officers are always addressed by their rank. The newly commissioned officer's rank should have been prefixed with her name. I don't see how the Patriotic Channel failed to give the lady officer the respect and honour, due to her.

The second blunder is the rank of the newly commissioned officer. Since when did cadets from INA Ezhimala get commissioned as Lieutenants. Isn't there a rank hierarchy, and a time-scale one, at that?

Cadets are commissioned as Sub-Lieutenants in the Indian Navy, and not as Lieutenants, as mentioned in the text above. At least that is how it used to happen – have things changed?

Lastly, the way the commissioned officer refers to the time, in the interview, is so unlike a Naval officer. My experience with real-life Naval officers has been quite different. They always mention time in hours. So, it would be 17:00 hours, rather than 5:00 pm. And this is drilled into them as part of the 'disciplined' training that they receive.

In the interview, the commissioned officer mentions 6 squadrons. I am not certain how many there are, but a cursory glance at INA Ezhimala's official website indicates 5 squadrons - https://www.ina.gov.in/?q=Squadrons

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

Good interview with a mismatch information. As rightly pointed out by Ms. Juana, the Naval Cadets passed out from INA won't attain the rank of Lt(Lieutenant)directly. From Cadet, they are first promoted to Acting Sub Lieutenant, then Sub Lieutenants and Lieutenant. Generally, male cadets undergo training onboard ships before they are promoted to the rank of Sub Lieutenant. We don't know about female cadet training on board a seagoing ship. They are promoted to Lieutenant after three years less the seniority they gained during their training.

#This information is based on my husband's knowledge about Navy.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.