The art of a tear-jerker: Real and Imaginary

We all would have come across many tear-jerkers in our life. Happiness and sadness are a part of our real life and us humans are wise enough to tackle our own problems and emotional feelings. But sometimes it is difficult for us to control our emotions, particularly tears. We usually hold a strong emotional bonding with our friends and family and that is why when something unusual or bad happens to our beloved ones, tears flow down our cheeks as a reflection of love, care, and affection. It is natural in our real life. But have you ever come across any tear-jerkers in your reel life? Hope! Many of us would have. Here I refer our reel life to the imaginary life which we live when we consume a piece of art such as a movie, poem, song, drama, etc.

In general, when we consume a piece of art, we will never have an idea about it. We will just go with the flow of the content and will experience the feelings conveyed through it for a few minutes or a few hours. Let us take movies as an example. When we enter a theatre to watch a movie, we may be aware of the cast and crew, the genre of the movie and at times even the plot too. But what makes us cry, when we watch an emotional scene? Even tears roll down when we listen to a song with a heart-touching lyrics or when we read a poem, a novel or any sad story. Have you thought of the reason for your tears? Scientists and psychologists may use any scientific terms to define the reason. But keeping all those things aside, let us focus on the creators who create such tear-jerkers.

Be it a writer, a director, an actor, a musician or a lyricist, it is really difficult for a person to compose a tear-jerker because transferring sadness to the audience through emotional content is not that easy. Experiencing sadness in real life is different from imaginary life. When it comes to our own life, tears will automatically flow down with an ease, but that is not the case in art forms. The art performed should deliver the exact emotions and feelings to the audience without missing the originality in the content. Sometimes, the content showcased will remind our own life experience and sometimes we will travel along with the imaginary character in the story and will feel for all the emotions expressed by that character. I truly admire the art of presenting the content and creating an emotional bond with the audience through the content. For a creator, the real success of a tear-jerker lies in the tears of the audience. But from an audience viewpoint, I would say that the real success of a tear-jerker lies in the creativity and the presentation of a creator.

My entry for the TOW Contest