You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Sound of wind blowing on the Martian surface.

Last week NASA's InSight lander reached the planet Mars in our solar system and landed in the Elysium Planitia region of the planet.

InSight lander will be drilling a hole in the rocks to analyse the subsurface soil and rock compositions which will be of great scientific value to the scientists involved in this exploration work.

Meanwhile the air pressure sensor and seismometer mounted on it, which are capable of detecting the minute variations as the wind rolls over, have actually recorded the first audio of wind blowing on the Martian surface.

The sensors on the InSight lander captured these haunting low rumbles as on 1st Dec, 2018, caused by vibrations from the wind, estimated to be blowing between 18 to 25 km/hr from Martian northwest to southeast.

The sound of winds on Mars can be heard in the video released by Jet Propulsion Laboratory, US. The link is -
    https://youtu.be/yT50Q_Zbf3s

I found it interesting and thought to share with the members here.
    This is a mission robotic lander designed to study the deep interior of the planet Mars. The primary objective of this mission is to study the evolutionary history of the processes that shaped Mars. It has placed a single stationary lander on Mars and it will study its deep interior and will address a fundamental issue of planetary and Solar System science. I have also watched that video on Youtube. The sounds of winds on Mars are heard while we watch the video.
    drrao
    always confident

I have always been interested in the topic of space, and I follow all the discoveries that scientists manage to discover and convey to us this news.

These are actually the milestones and the small steps of our scientific journey. Keeping in touch with them makes us concious of the efforts and hard work of the scientists behind these pursuits.
    Knowledge is power.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.