You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Are we really sincere to these words - 'sorry' or 'thanks' ?

Sorry and thanks - these two words reflect our approach towards an individual and our personality too. Sometimes we use them to satisfy the ego of the other individual but not express the same from our heart. And some of us are very casual in their approach and have no courtesy to say sorry when the feelings are hurt or reciprocate with the word 'thank you' when benefited by them. The other strata i.e., many of us use them as if performing a ritual to settle the score or to please an individual.

Personally I am of the view that it should be expressed from the bottom of our heart when we say sorry or thank you. When we say sorry, the feel of pinch should be felt by us, then only we can express it whole heatedly. Same is the case with the word 'thanks' too. We should enjoy the help received or understand the effort the other man has put int to express our gratitude.Then only the pillar of the bondage and the human relations we maintain becomes more stronger.

Yet, I have a doubt. Are we really sincere to these words - 'sorry' or 'thanks' ?
    Many times, many people will use these two words without any importance to the words as if they are uttering these words very casually to satisfy the ego of the other person. Day in and day out we will be hearing these two words from many people. When we have done something wrong to somebody, just telling sorry alone is not sufficient. We should assess the damage happened to the other person because of our actions and we should do the maximum possible to help him to the maximum extent possible.
    When we tell thanks to somebody it should be from the heart and we should really express our gratitude very sincerely. Then only there is a meaning in telling thank you. We should be ready to help the other person we helped us in case of any requirement.

drrao
    always confident

Yes, the two words have certainly lost their importance. As mentioned by the author, they are said just for the sake of saying as if an individual is fulfilling some sort of ritual. Many words and phrases have lost the importance. The reason is gratitude as well as apology does not come from heart these days. When the words do not come from the heart, they lose meaning.

Actually the usage of 'sorry' and ' thanks' have become just a formality. I never felt these are sincerely used by people. Perhaps, I think is not part of culture. It was copied from English people. It was their rule in this countryfor about two hundred years. Also several people got the chance to go to England for higher studies. All these helped our people to copy many of their habits.
    During my childhood nobody taught me to say sorry and thanks. Hence the habit came to me very late, that too when I noticed my friends using it. Still I forget to extend these words when facing such contexts. At the same time, my grand children use these when ever such contexts arise.

tmsankaran

Most of the people use these words just as a habit rather meaning them sincerly. Frankly speaking these are used to get away from the situation quickly.

Still, they are supposed to be the most courteous and respectful exclamations from the erring personalities and once uttered in a polite way, even the bigger sins are pardoned.

It is true that they should be used with sincerety and really meaning them from the heart otherwise they will not leave the intended effect on the recipient.

Knowledge is power.

That's serious as we apologise for the things and say sorry to the person but don't realise it from the heart and that's the reason we repeat the same mistake again. We just say it to please the person for the moment. Actually, these two words have lost the importance today. Apologising for our fault from the bottom of our heart is tough. It doesn't have any meaning until we realise our fault. It may heal many wounds if said with the right intention and at right time. Same is with saying thanks, it doesn't make any sense if we really are not thankful to a person.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

The using of such words has become a type of formalities in order to let others feel of the sincerity aspects of ours & not really coming from the heart which should have the case but that's what we already have molded onto. Our relationships & expressions & talks have turned into more or less professional entities wherein we are just concerned with the profits & loses in terms of monetarily or in tendencies with the materialistic world but in this whole the emotional & the heartily feelings have been lost. This is sad but true which we are still not able to acknowledge or perhaps we are not intended to acknowledge it.

Whether one has erred or failed to act responsibly, it takes courage to admit a mistake and offer an apology when one is needed. It also takes tremendous moral fibre to show gratitude, to someone who has stood by you or helped you.

Apology and gratitude come from within. And when someone says 'sorry' or 'thank you', we must accept it at face value without attributing reasons for their action.

An apology is an effect of the realisation of the inappropriateness of one's words, action or behaviour. I don't think much changes whether an apology or appreciation is voiced instantly or after much thought. Either way, it's the result of a realisation.

How many of us really use these interjections to express regret or acknowledge something with an eye on satisfying egos or as a mere courtesy? Are they really a ritual, as stated by the author? Should it just be done away with because it appears ritualistic?

Be gracious, accept the apology or gratitude, without analysing whether they came from the pit of the heart or were instinctive. Relationships get ruined because we seek more from our interactions.

The author's opinion and doubt are based on suppositions. How do we relate them to the "some of us"?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

To say sorry or to express thanks after accomplishment of a job reflects the personality of the individual but strangely such courtesies are not forthcoming sometimes from the hearts of the intellects. The reasons may be manifold and as such the same reason cannot be applicable for all. However, ego could be one of the reasons for such behaviour.
    I could notice a sense of contentment on the face of the other side when thanks or sorry is uttered depending upon the situation. If there is any scope in touching ones heart with these two words we must use these liberally to strengthen the relationship.

I think it's depends upon people. I don't know other people but yes I know my self when I say thank you or sorry I totally mean it. Because I don't like hurt somebody and don't want to pull somebody like ever.if I ever hurt then I will regret till dead. I don't like hurts people . I think no body like to hurt it we just do by mistake .so saying thank you or sorry meant to all people who don't want to hurt people.
    By Determination one can Accomplish anything

Nobody thinks about these words right now and use them in life without much understanding, just like the word "I love"

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.