You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Dropping down our confidence!

I hope most of us are ESL learners and find ourselves less confident many times especially during public speaking.
    According to you what are the things and notions which drop down our confidence during speaking?
    Once we know those factors responsible for the lack of confidence, then how to overcome such dropping down factors.
    Is ESL English as a Second Language?

It's obvious when English is not our native language we do find it difficult to speak. If someone doesn't have a confidence in speaking English then i would suggest a person practice it more, as more and more we practice more we will be proficient in it.

It's better to start at home. I remember when i was in a hostel my room partner didn't know Hindi and that was when i realises that sharing room with him helped me a lot in improving my English speaking skills.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Don't think in that way. English may be your second language in School, but that is not going to restrict you to speak the language effortlessly. Just think, how you learned to speak your mother tongue. You have listened to your parents at your home speaking in your mother tongue and followed their way of speaking diligently to speak the language.

It is applicable to any language and everyone has to practice speaking the language in a regular way to gain confidence. You have to listen to others speaking the language and practice speaking English with your friends on a regular basis. You can follow the English news channels and different programs telecast in English to follow the ways of speaking the language. You have to read English articles also to increase your vocabulary and ISC can be of great help to develop the reading habit.

Make a group of friends and start speaking in English with them. At first, you may feel nervous and won't be able to find the correct word to describe the situation. After practicing for some time, this nervousness will automatically go and you will not fear to speak English in front of the public. Remember how you learned your mother tongue? At first, the pronunciation was not clear. Even you couldn't construct good sentences when you were a child. After practicing and following your parents you perfected it. The same is applicable to English too and there is no need to feel nervous. Practice it regularly and within a little time, you will become confident.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

English is not our mother tongue but it is one of the languages accepted globally and most of the places you can manage with it. That widespread popularity of English is the thing which is the main reason why people in different countries are going for it.

There was a time in colonial India when the original Britishers and the native Indians were easily distinguishable the way they pronounced the speaking English but today we are ourselves distinguishable among different regions of our country in that respect.

Indian English has already been evolved in its own style and has been accepted by the people world over when we go to speak in conferences and seminars. Chinese and Japanese have their own tone of speaking it.

So, in essence, it is only a matter of confidence that is required and for all the practical purposes the blunders in our pronunciation has been camouflaged by the acceptance of Indian English world wide.

Let us not feel shy in pronouncing in the common Indian form and only thing is we should respect the grammar of any language because that is the main thing which makes it presentable either when we are speaking it or writing a piece of creative narration.

We were practicing and rehearsing it in front of the mirror before making a public appearance.

Knowledge is power.

Not only in English but in mother tongue also when we have to talk in a meeting or in a conference, we will also have an initial problem of fear. There are many reasons. But we can overcome this problem simply by practising and feeling confident.
    When we have to talk before a good gathering, we will have a feeling that our knowledge in the subject is less and we may fail in answering the questions asked by the audience. This feeling will bring in fear and we may not be able to fare well.
    In this world nobody is perfect and there is no rule that we should be 100% correct always. This feeling is to be kept in our mind. At the same time, we should put in a lot of homework and understand the subject thoroughly. We should practice our talk before actually delivering. We should ask questions on our own and we should answer them. If there are any doubts we should read books and get them clarified.
    Then when you go to start your speech be alert and try to be completely immersed in the talk and don't stare at the audience until you get control on you. In a few moments we will become alright and then we can talk about seeing the audience.
    The vocabulary will improve in the language by reading books and understanding what we read.

drrao
    always confident

Be confident of what you feel & practice a lot but the most important thing is that remove your inferiority complex or else rest of the improvements wouldn't work. This seems to be easy but in practical life these few points would prove out to be the most difficult one which you will come to know once you are on the stage.

• Sign In to post your comments