You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

“Justice delayed is justice denied”

How far that many of us agree onto this?

If the same is taken into the context of our judiciary system then most probably this will turn out to be the nightmare for many of us. According to the information published during June'18 through the National Judicial Data Grid, the scale of the problem is vast — 55,000 cases are pending in the Supreme Court, 32.4 lakh in high courts & a staggering 2.77 crore are yet to be disposed of in the country's district and taluka courts. More categorically on out of these, 60% of pending cases are more than 2 years old & 30% cases in SC are more than 5 years old.

In addition to the above, few another facts would prove out to be not so pleasant for many of us wherein there are more than 5000 vacancies in the country's district judiciary which are still persisting with Uttar Pradesh has the maximum number of vacant judgeships followed by Bihar & then Madhya Pradesh.

Such is the scenario with the Indian Judiciaries that many of the much older cases gets closed simply because of the reason being the case that the either the victim or the convict is dead before announcing of the final verdict on behalf of the courts. The most famous unsettled events which are pending in the courts can be listed out to the Bhopal Gas Tragedy of 1984, the 1984 Sikh Massacre, the resettling of the Kashmiri pundits pending since 1990 & more recently of the Ram Temple row.

I would like to extend my greetings & thanks to the PM Modi led NDA government that he came out with the fast track courts for the 1984 Sikh Massacre & as a result of which two of the convicts has been punished with one has been offered with the death sentence while the other has been awarded with the life imprisonment. For the information of the readers, the Delhi Police had closed the case in 1994 for want of evidence. However, a Special Investigation Team on the riots reopened it. But this is not done yet & what about others?

Till the time we all assume ourselves on the same plot we would never ever be able to feel the pain & sufferings of any of the victims who have gone through the delays & postponement of the dates during whole of their life for a simple cause of getting "justice".
    The author has raised a very serious and pertinent issue in a very elaborate way to bring out the ironies of our present judicial system where delay is taken for granted. When we go to a lawyer for an advice the first thing he tells is that the case would take at least 10-15 years to settle and then only he starts seeing the other feasibilities of the case - its merits and demerits.

The situation is so pathetic that nothing seems to be possible in this front. Judges always complain for lack of judges and staff in the courts. They say that the work in the courts is not only tough but also voluminous and some of the appeals and counter appeals go in hundreds of pages and sometimes things go in thousand pages and it does not seem practical that judges would be able to read all that in the limited time with them.

Even some of the crucial judgements go in thousands of pages where a lot of deliberations are made before concluding the verdict.

People say that we should have more number of courts and judges and supporting staff and we should also have courts in two shifts morning and evening so that double number of cases could be taken up. All said and done, seeing the vast number of pending cases even that is not going to help much.

How to increase efficiency and speed in the courts is a burnnig question today.

Knowledge is power.

A very serious issue is raised by the author with valid points. It is very true that justice delayed is justice denied.. The judicial system should change its way of working. The Indian government should see that all the courts work at their full capacity. I went to a district court Oneday with my lawyer friend. I have followed total functioning of the court whole day. It is really astonishing. The judge was in the seat for 2 hours in the morning session. The total work carried out was postponing all the cases placed on that day to another day. Except that nothing concrete had occurred. After lunch again the judge came for 2 hours. Again some more cases were postponed. At least I couldn't See one case processed. When I asked my friend he was telling that 90% of the court time will go in postponing only. If this is the way courts function how cases will be finalised.
    As suggested all posts should be filled and courts should work with a target in mind and if necessary two shift working is to be introduced. The main thing they should keep in mind is that a case should be finalised with in a minimum possible time.

drrao
    always confident

The data provided by the author is true. Lots of cases are pending for the judgement. It's hard for people to get justice in India. These are records which are registered, imagine many of the cases are not filed because people don't want to waste their valuable time as they know our judiciary system.

This is the time when someone will have to think about it and will have to take counteraction for the same.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Don't we feel that it is shocking that since our independence the law & justices haven't been able to provide the assistance & confidence in the minds of the common people which could be justified as well but instead this has been controlled & taken care of by the money & power & therefore for the justices to get delivered certain terms & conditions needs to be already there?

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.