You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you know these women warriors who fought against the British?

Have you heard the name of Uda Devi? Most probably, no. She is a courageous lady of Dalit origin. She took an active part during the 1857 rebellion. In the battle of Sikander Bagh, this great warrior climbed up a peepul tree and shot down almost six dozens of British soldiers with his old cavalry rifle until her death. We may say that she was the earliest known female sniper of India.

Similarly, Mahabiri Devi formed a female resistance group and killed many British soldiers during this great rebellion. Jhansi Rani Lakshmibai formed Durga Vahini which fought against the British.

Similarly, Asha Devi, Habiba, Shobha Devi, Raj Kaur, Umda, Indra Kaur, Jamila and many other female warriors fought and sacrificed their lives during this great rebellion of 1857.

We must not forget the great martial tradition of Indian ladies. We must encourage Indian young women to join armed forces.
    Nice information shared by the author. As far as female freedom fighters I just knew about Jhansi ki Rani only.

I salute these ladies who fought for the freedom without worrying about their life.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

A piece of nice information from the author as usual. Among the names mentioned many know about Janshi Lakshmi. She is very famous and her history was there in the history books. But the other names are not very familiar. Those days when ladies were not even going out from the house, these ladies bravely fought for the freedom of the country. We should appreciate the braveness of these ladies. My salutes to the ladies who sacrificed their lives for the independence of the country. By taking these ladies as role models, many of the females of these should join in defence forces to safeguard the interest of the country.
    drrao
    always confident

The only reason we know Rani Lakshmi Bhai is because she was an acting ruler of a huge province. Women too played lead roles in history but were seldom documented. Thankfully these medieval legends survive. I am glad that we have atleast a few of these great women to name and talk about.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

The martial tradition of Indian ladies is very old. Even we can hear many ladies in the ancient period who played very significant role both in education and in warfare. They were second to no male.

I have written some Articles and Forum posts on some great female warriors of the medieval period. I am mentioning these below as ready reference for the interested readers:-
    (a) Abbakka Rani
    (b)Rani Karnavati
    (c) Rani Velu Nachiyar
    (d) Rani Durgavati
    (e) Mai Bhago

Sometime I plan to write some more articles/posts remembering some other great female warriors of India, especially from Bengal. But the lukewarm response which I receive discourages me to take the labour.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

The martial tradition of Indian ladies is very old. Even we can hear many ladies in the ancient period who played very significant role both in education and in warfare. They were second to no male.

I have written some Articles and Forum posts on some great female warriors of the medieval period. I am mentioning these below as ready reference for the interested readers:-
    (a) Abbakka Rani
    (b)Rani Karnavati
    (c) Rani Velu Nachiyar
    (d) Rani Durgavati
    (e) Mai Bhago

Sometime I plan to write some more articles/posts remembering some other great female warriors of India, especially from Bengal. But the lukewarm response which I receive discourages me to take the labour.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

An excellent post bringing out the lesser known names to the front. I thank the author for his historical insight in our history of freedom fighting and other finer details and putting the same here for our information.

It is true that our history is full of such incidences of brevity and galour and we have only bring it to the fore front.

Today we have so mush information in the internet in general and in ISC site in particular in form of articles that prima facie the response of the readers appear as lukewarm. But it is not so that only historical articles are having this lessened response, it is true for all the articles as few people are visiting them as per their interest and choice.

So do not be disheartened with the lukewarm response. Please remember when someone is searching for a requisite information in this field, your article will become of super importance. So please use your talent, in historical matters, which we have already seen in your articles and pen down more of them.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments