You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Cultures what to share what to not?

Interacting with people of a different culture the question above creates an ambiguity.
    In this cosmopolitan world, we meet people from different culture, different family background and different history. Everyone has stories tell and these stories are often intriguingly attracting us towards those places from where these people reside. And we too tend to share our stories and share the best of places with them.
    But when it comes to the negative aspect of our culture the superstition imbibed in the place we grew up we often hesitate to share. And when we do share such aspect our society people don't want to hear that. They want the stories of dreamland and that they have thought that place to be. The picture we present in our past often makes our impression on people which we try to make positive. So often try to hide such things, but I believe that we should also tell our friends other things also which were negative which we want to see changed. One instance for me was the Bali-pratha (animal scarify) prevalent in the hilly region a negative aspect of my culture, which though has been banned but still exist in many places. I often don't hesitate to discuss it.
    What is your opinion about interacting with people from different cultures?
    What were your experiences interacting with the culture of different places? Did you tried to share an only good thing about your native places or also told the negative part too to your new acquaintance of different culture.
    Yes. I wanted to raise this topic myself. I wanted to call it, "Crime is a function of culture" or something like that. For a better understanding of this, look into the "weirdest laws of countries". One such law would be, men wearing a skirt in public would be arrested in Italy. Now laws like such sound ridiculous to us. In Borneo and also in parts of Arunachal Pradesh we can find "head hunter" tribes who collect scalps of their enemies and eat their enemy's body. That sounds horrendous to us but it's a part of their culture. Thanks to Christian missionaries in North East, these head hunters have now stopped this practice to a great degree.
    Crime and laws, are what cultures make for them. It's wrong to look at them from your perspective and judge them.
    In places like Vietnam and Cambodia, people eat insects as a staple meal, which to western and to a great degree to Indian eyes, look ugly. But Cambodians have lived that way and survived their times with such diet.
    In a virtual, global age like now, where different cultures meet freely, clash of ideas is evident. We keep faulting each other a lot without thinking about cultural context much.

Most westerners love India for what it is. But we Indians know better. I am very open about intricacies and idiocynracies of India to people of other nation. Filipino women are much more independent and open minded than Indian women and that's a fact. I dont hide our stigmas and paint a wrong picture to enthusiasts. National pride shouldn't come before truth. We must be honest about our nation and culture.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

The culture varies from place to place and country to country. The trait which is against our culture may be acceptable to other culture. A Hindu treats Cow as a God and a Muslim treats cow like any other animal. We can't find fault with that culture. Superstitions are different and beliefs in culture are different. All cultural aspects can't be treated as superstitions.
    In India, we have different cultures and religions and we respect each other. We, Indians forget all our differences when a need comes. These days our culture is being respected by many foreign country people. They are trying to adapt our methods and modes. But we Indians are forgetting those and trying to run after western culture.
    Every culture will have its own good and bads. We have to adopt the good ones and forget the others. No one should forget their basic qualities.

drrao
    always confident

Every culture is unique in itself. The followers of a culture know about it in details and also understand the various intricacies and often are intrigued and puzzled by some of its ambiguous ingredients.

When it comes to sharing of things between two cultures then it depends from the individual to individual as how much they want to share and how much they want to hide or are reluctant to share due to their own apprehensions about others reactions or feelings for the apparent downsides in their religion.

Contradictorily, when it comes to fighting for or protecting ones religion, then the downsides are totally forgotten and only the better parts are highlighted.

That is the irony of human civilization and the clergymen take advantage out of that situation and religious and political leaders take mileage out of it.

Knowledge is power.

In India itself there are lots of cultures and traditions depending on the area they live in. There are lots of superstitions and prejudices liked with every culture which sometimes display bad image of that culture. Therefore people normally don't share the negative things about their culture and tell about only the positive things.

In my village, we have lots of beliefs which a modern person will find abnormal but still, it's tough to change their mindset and it's almost impossible to remove them from their culture.

Unless and until it harms others I don't think that it's a need to change their mind. It's true sometimes we feel shy to tell such things to others as we have some sort of a feeling that people will laugh at us.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

• Sign In to post your comments