You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Nobody at that place knows him

B.K Dutt Colony is basically a slum in New Delhi. But its location is excellent. It is near Khan Market and Lodhi Garden. On last Sunday, I was driving near BK Dutt Colony. Suddenly I stopped the car and went to a kiosk near the colony. My wife and my daughter are now habituated to my eccentric behavior. So, they waited patiently in the car.

I asked the person selling cigarette in the kiosk. He could not answer. There were two-three young men in the kiosk. None of them knew. They, in turn, asked four elderly men playing cards. No, they also didn't know who this BK Dutt was. I sighed heavily and returned to the car.

--------------------------

Batukeshwar Dutt was born on 18th November, 1910 in Oari village of the present East Barddhaman district of West Bengal. But his father settled in present Uttar Pradesh when Batukeshwar was a small child. He came into contact of Bhagat Singh and other revolutionaries at a very early age and became a die-hard revolutionary himself. On 7th April, 1929, Batukeshwar, popularly known as BK, along with Bhagat Singh, threw bombs in the Central Legislative Assembly in New Delhi with the revolutionary slogan of 'Inquilab Zindabad'. He was arrested.

In jail, he started fasting to ensure proper treatment of the political convicts by the jail staff. Another revolutionary, Jatin Das, died after 63 days of fast. BK and others managed to get some benefits for the political convicts. He came out of the jail in 1938. But he was not allowed to enter Bengal, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh, where he had been active.

But his revolutionary spirit remained intact. He took part in the 'Quit India' movement in 1942. He was again arrested and was sent to jail for another three years.

After independence, the Government and common people forgot this great revolutionary. He tried to settle in Patna, married and started fighting against acute poverty. But due to terrible torture which he had suffered in jail during the British period, tuberculosis slowly got better of him.

This great hero of freedom struggle left the world unsung on 20th July, 1965.

----------------------------

Although the Government named a slum after this great revolutionary, nobody living there bothers to know who he was.
    How sad this is? The one who fought for our freedom was forgotten by us. There are many freedom fighters like him whom we dont know. This is ridiculous as even the government doesn't do anything for them and they died with poverty. I once read a news that the successors of Mughal emperor Bahadur Shah Jafar were selling tea in Kolkatta. How bad I felt when I read this. They should get some funds from the government to survive or at least a job to live better than how they may be living.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

I never know about Batukeshwar Dutt. This is for the first time I am hearing about this person. It is good that government named an area in Delhi after him.
    There are many freedom fighters like this who are not known to the common public. The government should publish some book giving the details of various freedom fighters so that their name will be known to the next generation people also.
    I understand that the government has given 5 acres land to freedom fighters after getting the freedom. The basis for this is that they should have gone to jail at least once during the freedom struggles. But the real fighters never got this advantage. But some people somehow managed to get their names on the list and obtained that benefit.

drrao
    always confident

It is interesting to know this as something related popped up in my mind just yesterday. I was thinking of posting a thread about whether we know who the person is after whom the roads in our areas are named. We don't give it a second thought, putting it in our address as a routine thing. The lane where I live is named after a war hero of the 1965 Indo-Pak war where he died and there is a board some way down which gives information about him. The family had a function to salute him on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of that war three years ago. It is nice to look up information about such people as most roads are named after freedom fighters, war heroes and the like.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Many people say that nowadays young people and children are very inquisitive. But I strongly disagree. I asked at least fifty people in Delhi (I love to conduct such survey-another eccentric behaviour) who work in Bhikaji Cama Place who this person was. I feigned ignorance about this great and wonderful lady about whom I read in VIIIth standard. I was astonished when none (yes, none) of them could tell me who was Bhikaji Cama. They never heard about Madam Bhikaji Rustam Cama. When I told a young girl about her, she straightaway asked me:"How this information would benefit me"? I was stunned.

I live in a place just beside Rao Tularam Marg. I didn't know about this great freedom fighter. When I was collecting information about him (I wrote an article on Rao Tularam on this platform), many people who lived in this locality ridiculed me.

The fault is in the education system. Nowadays people study to get good jobs. They don't have any curiosity to learn new things.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Partha - a piece of useful advice: In case you have written an article related to something which you mention in a forum thread or response, you could give a link to it. We do allow and, in fact, encourage internal linking as long as it is not over-done/done needlessly for self-promotion of one's contributions. Moreover, internal links allow visitors to stay within the site, explore and perhaps generate revenue. Members who are interested also may read up your articles and this is a good way to generate interest in reading something contributed by co-members.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Okay. The link of the article on Rao Tularam is given below:-

Rao Tularam Ahir

This made such an interesting read. Thank you for enlightening us.

I have a question for you though - did you know who Batukeshwar Dutt was, before you headed to the kiosk, or did you gather the information later? I am keen to know what drives you and how you gather facts?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

Yes, Madam. I do know about him since my childhood.

A heart touching narration by the author. I have heard this name in the context of freedom fighting but did not know the full story.

Very few people have an interest in historical narrations. Our educational system also does not give much cognizance to that.

Students today are busy with the modernized flavor of life full of westernized attributes. We can not expect from them these awarenesses.

Knowledge is power.

I have read about Batukeshwar Dutt in my school books as well as heard a lot about him from the elderly family members. Bengalis are proud of him and being a Bengali I had the privilege to hear stories about him at home.

We need to know about every freedom fighter because I believe, India's freedom was not achieved only due to the most popular revolutionaries but it's a cumulative effort of each and every small and big freedom fighters.

shampasaid

"We need to know about every freedom fighter....."----------------I fully agree. But how? Nowadays, our history books contain less and less references about the revolutionaries. Instead, our children have been studying more and more about the French revolution, the American freedom movement and Chinese communist movement. I am saying this after studying the NCERT history books of various classes.

• Sign In to post your comments